Managing users

Hi,

I am sorry if this question has an obvious answer!

I am running the HA system from a Raspberry Pi using the standard image. I have updated to the latest version. I was prompted to create a new user under the new authentication system.

Somehow I managed to mistype the password and ended up following the procedure to recover lost password provedure and deleted the auth, auth_provider and onboarding files in the storage folder. I rebooted the system and again was asked to create a new user account. I successfully created the account and managed to log in with it. I have tried to find the place where I can manage and add users. I read in another post that this option should appear under the configuration menu. Unfortunately I have no such option and can’t find it anywhere. It is almost as if I am logged in as a user with no permissions. I only have the legacy api password and one user.

Can you help?

Thanks

Andy

In the menu on the left is the link to the settings (gear icon). If you click that you are presented with several options (integrations, automations etc.). There also is the link to the user configuration. Clicking that should display your single user, and a small + icon on the lower right to add additional users.

Hi,

Thanks for such a prompt reply.

That is the menu I am looking under. In that screen I have six options:

Home assistant cloud
Integrations
General
Customisations
Automations
Scripts

There is no option for users.

I have the same menu configuration if I login with the API password or the new new user I was asked to create.

Thanks

Andy

Go to your profile page check if you are a owner. You can manual modify the .storage/auth file to make yourself as owner if you are not now. Or redo the onboarding again.

Please stop HA first, then delete the files followed the document.

Thanks for that. I wasn’t the owner, so went through the process again and all good.

Thank you.

Andy

How do I do that on a clean install, (no upgrade from earlier versions, but a fresh download, and no add-ons installed yet)?
I ask since my newly created user account and password are not accepted (invalid) on the login screen…
No other option than reflash the sd card?

there’s no info/documentation on the installation page Installation - Home Assistant so if it is to be found elsewhere, please point me to it

thanks! missed that…

so on the first account creation page I create the Owner account? And I can login with that on the first login screen? it says: Let's get started by creating a user account. This is rather confusing…

The first account you create is the owner. It doesn’t have to be a username of owner though.

ok i got in…

Is the api_password still used? Ive restarted a couple of times now, but always get right back in… feels somewhat too easy :wink:

you CAN use it, but I think it will be deprecated one day.

ok thanks. How to prevent automatic opening go the homepage then? I can now simply open it, as can anyone else…

logout before you close the page…