MDI Icons for Home Assistant Index

Hi Folks,

I’ve mentioned in a few other threads that I had an idea for creating an index of HA related material design icons.
There are so many icons on MDI site that it can be challenging to find what you want.
Whilst there are many icons that are a direct fit for what I want, I also end up re-purposing some that are meant for a completely different use.
So I trawled MDI and listed and categorised every icon that I thought can be useful in an HA context, and bundled them into a package that can be served by HA built in webserver for local files.

Looks like this:

Find it here with install instructions:

Be gentle - I’m more of a hacker/copy paster than a developer :slight_smile:
Hope you find it useful.

If anyone is using icons that I didn’t capture feel free to reply and I will do my best to add them. No promises on how quickly this will happen :slight_smile:
BTW you will notice that a few icons don’t show… not sure why this is as I used the latest version of the MDI webfont.

23 Likes

This looks really useful, thanks a lot. I’ll give it a try when I get the chance :slight_smile:

just installed it … brilliant and very useful
Thanks !

You’re welcome. Glad you find it useful.

Nice. Simple and usefull. Installed without any problem.
Thanks for sharing!

Hi All,

There have been quite a few new HA related icons added to MDI in recent months.
I updated my HA icons index to include the new icons.

If you already installed using the direct rawgit link then you don’t need to do anything to get the new version - it should just work :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

I can’t find in your index the following icon:

Do you know, by any chance, which one it is ? Thanks !

it is called google-circles-communities

1 Like

Just wanted to say thanks, worked great adding it as a iFrame! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the thanks!
I have to say, this needs an update now as new icons have been added.
I will try to make time for it ASAP.

1 Like

Very cool, did you find anything for motion (and still when no motion) ?

The full list is here:

https://materialdesignicons.com/cheatsheet

You’re looking for mdi:run and mdi:run-fast, I guess?

1 Like

run fast is good… but no motion should not be a men running …

For me the distinction is clear, so I use these myself. And I have seen them being used elsewhere.

You could also have a look at mdi:walk or even mdi:human-male.

Really useful thanks for posting this!

1 Like

Since I initiated this project the MDI site has introduced tagging.
There is a tag for home automation that will show you all icons that have been tagged for HA:

https://materialdesignicons.com/tag/home-automation

This is great (and actively maintained :slight_smile: ) for many icons, but there are some icons in my index that are not strictly intended for HA but still find a use.

Hi… looks like 0.77.3 introduced some changes to the MDI… things like disk don’t work anymore - now disc etc… Is this automatically updated?

Last I found was that Home-Assistant was using version 3.039 of MDI. But that was a few revision of HA ago. Does anyone know what version 91.1 is using of MDI?
Thanks

Seems like someone has to manually update MDI into HA, and it does not happen very regularly.
Its a shame, as there are loads of good new home automation related being added all the time.
I was working with the MDI team for literally years to add icons for home floors. They got added in MDI back in Jan, but only recently available in HA.

yes, your right.
Motion-sensor wasn’t working a while back but is now.
Thanks