Meater thermometer

Hi All! Sorry for not posting here. As @sjabby and @brg468 mentioned, I have a PR submitted to add readings from the meater probe into HA. Currently, only the raw sensor values are exposed to HA, but that was mainly to keep the PR for the initial integration small (as-per the dev docs). I fully intend to add all the cook details in. I was going to wait until the PR had been accepted to work on those (to give me time to address any potential bugs) but there are a lot of outstanding PRs sat in github, which is a lot of work for the admins to churn through. Theyā€™re doing a pretty good job on the whole, but I still expect itā€™ll be a little while before it gets mergend into the main repo. I might have to add the outstanding functionality into the integration in the meantime. Until then, any and all feedback is welcome!

1 Like

Looking forward to the integration!
Canā€™t wait to be able to use this component and be able to get Alexa to notify when the cooking is done.

Incidentally would one be able to have the same alerting schedule (e.g. Restingā€¦5 minutes left to go, etcā€¦) that exists in the current API?

The current API doesnā€™t pull back alert times, as such, but it does have the time remaining. It should be fairly straightforward to set up the schedule within Home Assistant itself. Iā€™d usually use NodeRED for such things, but I imagine itā€™d be doable with blueprints too.

Sounds good. Time remaining will definitely be enough for what iā€™m thinking.
Thank you!

hey @Sotolotl - I forked your repo, changed to your meater-integration branch and added it into my HA instance as a quick look at the code seemed to be missing some of the newer API endpoints.

Iā€™ve got your install running, stuck in my credentials, but theres nothing showing up anywhere in HA apart from the card on the integration page. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, clown here hasnā€™t even got a cook on. Thought the cloud would have my devices in my account but obviously not! Just checked myself

Aha yeah, that caught me out at first. I think I mentioned it in the docs, but you have to look for those on Github until the integration is actually added. As for the API endpoints; I think I already answered your question on Github, but Iā€™ll be adding those in in the future! Iā€™ll hopefully be reviewing the code that @brg468 already worked on at some point over the next few days, so it should be really quick to add in the new PR once everything is ready :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I see it is not included in HA 2021.05, is there anything we can do to help to get it officially integrated into HA core?

@Sotolotl; just got my Meater Block and tried your (draft) integration, thanks for your work! Since it seems to be taking some time to get into official version, did you consider releasing a custom integration through HACS?

It could also serve the purpose of adding all features (since the official need to be minimal for first addition). I am willing to contribute with coding and testing if needed!

Thanks.

Since you have a Meater block, would you be up for testing my cook sensors code? It works just fine with 1 probe, but thatā€™s all I have to test it with. You can just swap out this sensor.py file with what youā€™re currently running.

Hehe :slight_smile: I already did that and added your ā€œfuture PRā€ to my custom integration here. Looks great! As I just received my Meater Block, I didnā€™t try it for a real grilling yet, but it seems nice!

In my experience, offical integrations tends to take a while, and combined with the requirement to add minimum features on first PR to the official stuff, I believe custom integration is a great way for testing out the complete stuff before ā€œgoing officialā€.

Thanks for the work both of you! Looking forward to testing my Meater in real life!

@brg468 ; hmm, it did a ā€œtest cookā€ (not real life) with probe 1, but it seems that your cook additon tells HA that it is probe 2 which is active. Could there be a mismatch somehow? Iā€™ll study it in more detail.

Weird. Iā€™ve seen times where duplicate sensors are created after updating the code, if you canā€™t find the issue somewhere else maybe try removing the integration and all related sensors then re-add everything.

Hi @brg468,

I did some testing with the API directly, and to me it seems that the order of the probes is random somehow. So it is not a problem of the HA integration. What is shown as probe 1 on the Block is returned by API as 4 giving me hope that the order was just reverse, but probe 3 is returned as 3 and probe 4 as 2. So i donā€™t see any system there.

Do you know if there is any logic based on the probe IDs? Or perhaps we could request Meater to modify the API to return the devices in the same order as they are shown on the Block?

Are the probe temps and cooks aligning correctly? For example if you start a cook on one probe does the temp and cook data all match?

I think so, but I didnā€™t get around to really test them in real life. Opened a question over at the API documentation to see if they are able to tell us.

I guess as long as the temperatures and cook data are for the same probe thatā€™s whatā€™s important. It would be nice if the probe numbers were the same as how Meater shows them, but I think its workable if thatā€™s not the case for now.

Looks like this will not be included in HA 2021.6 either.
How can a noob like me continue to use it as a custom component if I want to update to 2021.6?

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] No ā€˜versionā€™ key in the manifest file for custom integration ā€˜meaterā€™. As of Home Assistant 2021.6, this integration will no longer be loaded. Please report this to the maintainer of ā€˜meaterā€™

I would suggest either not upgrading to 2021.6 or try adding something like:

"version":"1.0.0"

to manifest.json and see if that works.

1 Like

Thank you very much, it worked perfectly to add the version line to manifest.json and it is no longer complaining so Iā€™m all ready for 2021.6.
If anybody else is struggling with this here is how the manifest.json file is looking now:

{
  "domain": "meater",
  "name": "Meater",
  "config_flow": true,
  "documentation": "https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/meater",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "requirements": [
    "meater-python==0.0.8"
  ],
  "codeowners": [
    "@Sotolotl"
  ]
}
1 Like

I downloaded all the files from Sotolotls meater integration into my custom_components folder and restarted HA - how do I get the integration added after that? I donā€™t see it when I hit add integration and no new devices or entities were added