Migrating from bwalarm

This might be the push I need to go back to using the core manual alarm (give me those 0.115 goodies!).

I haven’t used the bwalarm html panel since setting up the alarm and actually hide it from the side menu.

It is a convenient way to set up and change sensors on the fly but I just don’t change them that often.

I can arm/disarm the manual alarm via automation or using Lovelace. I can get the triggering sensor name (though not using the bwalarm method, I think).

Is there anything I’m going to miss from bwalarm?

Tom

For the moment i have commented out the part in the code where it tries to register the panel. i then use the alarm card to arm and set from the GUI if needed

I think i will be taking the time to see what i am missing and whether the built in one is sufficient for my needs. This isn’t a failing on @AhmadK in anyway he has done a fantastic job in keeping it going and improving the original also real life takes priority but staying too far behind on releases can cause all sorts of issues

1 Like

I think I might be in the same boat - I guess its just a matter of manually creating automations for the sensor triggers.

I also only use the bwalarm interface simply for setup, otherwise I’m using Homekit and automations to turn my alarm on/off.

^^^ I agree completely.

I just don’t want to end up falling too far behind with updates and potentially avoid fixing other “breaking changes”.

That’s a good idea. Got a pointer on where this is?

1 Like

Around line 390 to 403 of alarm_control_panel.py

3 Likes

thats brought it back but doesn’t seem to fire when armed. Was hoping I could just update yaml file with new sensors. Never mind probably time to get manual alarm working, but great work until now, it let me get on with other things. Cheers akasma74.

where it would be necessary to put the sensors for the manual alarm of ha, in the alarm jump automations of each mode, where the trigger would be the state of the sensors if they go on, with the condition that the alarm is armed in a mode , I do not know if I explain myself very well

I just tried and hooked up the alarm, made it go off and it worked for me

Is it possible to have a mix of “delayed” trigger sensors and “immediate” trigger sensors with the manual alarm, such as it is with bwalarm? I read the documentation a while back and I got the impression that it was either everything-delayed or everything-immediate with either armed_home or armed_away.

I’m not updating to 0.115 immediately, but it will be on my list of things to do in the next 2 weeks certainly.

I do not think so

name: house
  arming_time: 0
  trigger_time: 300
  delay_time: 0  
  code: '1234'
  trigger_time: 300
  disarmed:
    trigger_time: 0
  armed_home:
  armed_away:
  armed_night:    
    delay_time: 0```

This works fine for me. Never used the panel anyway.

neither do I

Yep it’s working! Too bad that panel is gone. I use it all the time, i have all my wall mounted ipads switch to that panel when home is armed, super convenient and looks very sharp. Hope that doesn’t get removed

Works for me too. But hoping to see the Alarm side-panel again soon :D. Thanks for this awsome Alarm component. Exactly how the official Alarm component should have been.

You could try setting up the manual alarm to trigger immediately, but create the delay in your automations.

I’m just in the process of coding the manual_mqtt alarm. Here is my example code:

alarm_control_panel:
  - platform: manual_mqtt
    name: House
    code: 'xxxx'
    pending_time: 60
    delay_time: 60
    trigger_time: 600
    armed_home:
      pending_time: 0
    state_topic: "paradoxCTL/in"
    command_topic: "paradoxdCTL/hassio/Arm"
    payload_disarm: 'disarmed'
    payload_arm_night: 'armed_sleep'
    payload_arm_home: 'armed_home'
    payload_arm_away: 'armed_away'
automation:
  - alias: '[Alarm] Armed Away-Instant Triggers'
    trigger:
      - platform: state
        entity_id:
          - binary_sensor.gym_multisensor_sensor
          - binary_sensor.motion_sensor_158d0001ad43db
          - binary_sensor.ensuite_multisensor_motion
          - binary_sensor.lounge_multisensor_sensor
          - binary_sensor.kitchen_multi_sensor_sensor
          - binary_sensor.paradox_z14_main_shed_pir
          - binary_sensor.paradox_z1_panel_siren_tampers
          - binary_sensor.paradox_z16_repeater_tamper
          - binary_sensor.paradox_z5_living_pir
          - binary_sensor.paradox_z15_garden_shed_pir
          - binary_sensor.paradox_alarm_triggered
        to: 'on'
    condition:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: alarm_control_panel.house
        state: armed_away
    action:
      service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_trigger

- alias: '[Alarm] Armed Away-Delayed Triggers'
    trigger:
        entity_id:
          - binary_sensor.passage_multi_sensor_sensor
          - binary_sensor.paradox_z4_lounge_pir
    condition:
    action:
      - delay: '00:01:00'
      - condition: and
        conditions:
            entity_id:
              - alarm_control_panel.house
      - service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_trigger

- alias: '[Alarm] Armed Home-Instant Triggers'
    trigger:
        entity_id:
          - binary_sensor.gym_multisensor_sensor
          - binary_sensor.paradox_z14_main_shed_pir
          - binary_sensor.paradox_z15_garden_shed_pir
          - binary_sensor.paradox_z16_repeater_tamper
          - binary_sensor.paradox_z1_panel_siren_tampers
          - binary_sensor.paradox_alarm_triggered
    condition:
        state: armed_home
    action:
      service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_trigger

- alias: '[Alarm] Armed Home-Delayed Triggers'
    trigger:
        entity_id:
          - binary_sensor.paradox_z6_alfresco_pir
    condition:
        state: armed_home
    action:
      - delay: '00:01:00'
      - condition: and
        conditions:
            entity_id:
              - alarm_control_panel.house
      - service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_trigger

You can use the automations with the standard manual alarm.

EDIT: so after doing some experimenting it seems that what the standard HA alarm lacks is a separation between a pending time and and exit delay. When setting a pending time, it gets used for both and exit and a trigger delay. So whatever you set that as it will be added as a delay to any sensor triggering the alarm.

1 Like

Dave, I’m interested to know if this message template still works with the manual alarm:

message: "ALARM TRIGGERED!!! {{ states[states.alarm_control_panel.house.attributes.changed_by.split('.')[0]][states.alarm_control_panel.house.attributes.changed_by.split('.')[1]].name }}"

I’ll let you know once I iron out the current bugs… for some reason the HA sensors seem to send the alarm into ‘pending’ rather than ‘triggered’ then after a whole lot of waiting the alarm finally triggers…

EDIT: currently not getting any notification regarding the triggered sensor, but I’ll work on getting it sorted and post the answer if I get one.

EDIT 2: so after doing some experimenting it seems that what the standard HA alarm lacks is a separation between a pending time and and exit delay. When setting a pending time, it gets used for both and exit and a trigger delay. So whatever you set that as it will be added as a delay to any sensor triggering the alarm (actually I think this is only the manual_mqtt since it differs slightly from the manual alarm). The BWAlarm had a ‘warning’ state for when someone had triggered the alarm and the entry delay was counting down, the manual alarm does not have this…

You could kludge it by setting the pending time to 0 and automating the exit delay. Condition: alarm must be armed for x seconds for a particular group of sensors.

So far I can’t get the triggered sensor to be reported in a notification. I also tried the following:

message: 'ALARM TRIGGERED!!! {{ trigger.to_state.attributes.friendly_name }}'

but that didn’t work, got this error in the log:

Error executing script. Error rendering template for call_service at pos 2: UndefinedError: ‘trigger’ is undefined