Migrating from docker container to HA OS - What is the proper way?

Hey All. I’m trying to migrate from docker to fully managed OS for my HA instance. The reason for this is that I want to move the HA to a different VLAN, and I’m not good at docker networking. The second reason is that my Bluetooth adapter is having issues with the docker pass-through and it constantly requires reboots and troubleshooting.

Can I just make a backup from my docker instance and restore it to the HA OS? Or I should manually copy the config folder instead? Also, is there a way for me to copy my configuration AND data? Meaning sensor telemetry and so on?

I couldn’t find anything in the documentation with regard to migrating.

Thanks.

Yes   

1 Like

Thanks! Does this backup contain the sensors’ telemetry as well? I don’t even know where does this data lives currently.

The sensor history is stored in your database, which if you haven’t changed anything is included in the backup.

1 Like

I’m amazed how smoothly that went, considering that I was migrating to a whole another platform!

If anyone from the future does the same and needs the details:

The backup was ~40mb in size, the VM took around 5 minutes to load it, which was way too long IMO considering that it is sitting on a pretty powerful hardware, and it has a lot of resources provided to it. Anyway the landing page was stuck on “restoring”, but from the ESXi monitoring I noticed that CPU and memory usage were lying low, so I just accessed the HA page from another browser tab.

Worked like a charm, I have my previous sensor telemetry data along with all configs.

@scotrod , Did you have any HACs installed or any external entities (ESP-HOME, Zigbee, etc)?
I’m planning to migrate from the container setup as well, but my biggest concern is how those external entities will be transferred.

I’m pretty confident HA backup can handle the HA part, but I have a fairly extensive Zigbee network through zigbee2mqtt (among a few other things), and naturally HA is only aware of what MQTT exposes, which are already nicely renamed entities.
Will it be capable of figuring out what is what based on just the MQTT data that it [might] store in the backup?

Those are all part of the backup, though add-ons like Zigbee2MQTT aren’t.

What would be the most painless procedure then?

Take Z2M backup, take HA backup, install HA, install Z2M, restore Z2M backup, restore HA backup?

When Z2M backup is applied I assume it will start pushing the entities into the HA.
So would that be still the correct order of application?
Will HA be able to link back the HA entities (once restored from backup) to Z2M entities correctly and not make a mess from the ‘old’ and the ‘new’ ones?

Unfortunately I don’t know how to go from non-addon Z2M to add-on, but copying all the files over should work, except for having to change settings in the add-on UI.

If you manage that (and the Discord server may be able to help) then all your entities should be unchanged.