Migrating Insteon Hub and Devices to HA

Ok, I think this is going to be a long thread, or at least popular with us “nomads” from Insteon world.

I have Home Assistant setup now on a Raspberry Pi and have my Insteon Hub 2 (2245-222) connected and running. So far, so good.

I have figured out that Scenes are not pulled out of the Hub. I can live with that. Now the real questions:

• Can I configure individual devices that were configured before through the Hub (e.g. Dimming Duration, etc.)?
  • Can I adjust schedules that were saved in the individual devices?

I am sure I will have more questions as well as others too. I suspect that the best approach will be to “Factory Default” all devices and start fresh with Home Assistant. Any help for those of us new to HA and refugees from Insteon world is most appreciated!

DZ

I have similar questions (see this post). Has anyone factory reset their hub and then was able to re-link Insteon modules?

This poster appears to have succeeded

I have a Synology NAS also and want to try this. Do I need a Raspberry pie also? Any additional info is greatly appreciated. thanks

I just looked on my NAS packages and don’t see HA or docker. can you shed some light as to how I do that? thx

See if this community guide helps. I don’t run it on synology myself, and I know there can be some complications the Synology OS throws at you (like passing through zigbee and zwave sticks), but others on here do run Home Assistant on Synology. However, I don’t believe it works on all Synology models.

If you get Home Assistant running sucessfully on Synology, you would not need a raspberry pi

I also believe you can run Home Assistant on Synology in a VM or docker - but I would search the forum for pros and cons of either way

Thanks for the info. I’m afraid I have a too old unit, DS-213J, and it doesn’t suppor VMM. I may have to go the pie route.

The pi will be the easiest option, but there are other hardware options as well. Take a look at my post here, which includes a good video about hardware choices:

thanks, I ordered one, be in a a few weeks. I’ll go from there.

1 Like

Sounds good - the developers put this blog post together to help former Insteon users as well which has some good tips for getting started