Synology - Docker vs Virtual Machine

I have been using docker on my Synology 918+ (with usb Aeotec zwave stick & usb zigbee2mqtt stick) for a while. everything works flawlessly. Last week end I tried the HassIO (VMDK) image on synology Vitual Machine manager and it also seems to work fine. Now I am wondering which one to choose going forward.

In theory, running home assistant container directly on docker could have a resource advantage as it eliminates the HassOS layer (virtual machine). On the other hand, HassIO makes it easy for addons. but I already have separate docker containers and they all work fine.

Also on HassIO the upgrade process is straightforward and restarts will take significantly less time than docker (apparently).

are there any other significant advantages/dis-advantages?

If your Synology is not really stretched for resources, use whichever you find easier. If you are trying to conserve resources, try and stick to Docker as it is a lot less resource hungry than the Synology VM hypervisor.

I have a Synology and haven’t really played around with the VM platform, because I have really enjoyed using docker for it’s ability to destroy and recreate containers so easily. Makes HA upgrades and downgrades a breeze.

I agree.

Docker hardly uses 2-5% of CPU and about 400mb ram (for HA, mqtt, zigbee2mqtt together)

the minimum for virtual machine is 1GB ram, But I gave it 2GB to be on safe side. Also the CPU usage is also significantly higher (depending on addons we use).

Clearly there is no significant advantage for using virtual machine at this point. Faster restarts seems to be the only thing in favor.

I like the idea of running HASSOS as a virtual machine in Synology’s Virtual Machine Manager. I have a DS918+ with 4gb RAM, did you import the HassIO image or the HASSOS image? I have the latest HASSOS .vmdk from https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/releases but not sure how to import it properly. I have done alot of searching but can’t find exactly what I’m after. Any help would be awesome.

Cheers,
Simon.

1. create an image using the VMDK file. You can do that by selecting image on the left hand menu in virtual machine manager. And click create.

2. it will take a while. Like half a day.

3. once done, create a new virtual machine using the image you just created. Make sure to use UEFI for bios.

Let me know if you get into any issues.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, its making it now!

Hi cpuram,
I was able to create the image using the .vmdk file but it only took a few seconds to make it! Then I created a virtual machine using UEFI and it when I pressed ‘connect’ I was able to see the command line scrolling passed. But at no time could I see it on my local network or find an IP address for it. I thought it was finished so in the virtual machine I could press enter and it would come up with the Hassio login line. Not sure what to try next, I used the following settings…
2 CPU’s
2GB RAM
Videocard is VMVGA
No additional ISO’s
10gb Storage
Default VM Network
Boot From Virtual Disk
BIOS - UEFI
Keyboard - Default
Virtual USB Controller - disable
Permissions - All local users & Groups (In case it was a permission thing)
I have tried the latest 2.24 as well as an earlier 1.12 version. Even tried the NUC image version but still no luck. I must be missing something!
Any help would be great
Cheers,
Simon.

my bad. it was another VM (at work) that took long time. hassio image is pretty small, so you are right. it shouldn’t take much time.

wait for 20 mins or so and access http://hassio.local:8123

Have you guys find a solution? I’m also on Synology using the virtual machine manager. I get everything running except that I don’t get IP to connect (same Ip as the Synology server also doesn’t work). Also I’m unable to find a way to see the network to bridge as I do on Virtual box :frowning:

Thanks!

Hey guys, i tried to do the process to setup a virtual machine on Synology VMM, i downloaded the hassos_ova-2.11.vmdk and uploaded the IMAGE, then started VM with parameters that you guys tell before like

2 CPU’s
2GB RAM
Videocard is VMVGA
No additional ISO’s
10gb Storage
Default VM Network
Boot From Virtual Disk
BIOS - UEFI
Keyboard - Default
Virtual USB Controller - disable

but when i connect it show this: you

i tried to open the http://hassio.local:8123
someone can help me?

Thank you
Gustavo

UEFI interactive shell means it hasn’t even booted the OS.

Thank you! Can you please advise what to do? i downloaded the vmdk.gz, then unzip the file and use

Does the Synology support running from VMDK?

What are your VM Settings? Have you tried BIOS instead of UEFI?

Hi, could you found a way to run hass.io on synology vmm? i´m trying it without success

Hi,

i don´t know if works, but i can load the vmdk with success on synology

i already tried to use BIOS

Thank you

Which supplied what error?

this error, i don´t know where ipm doing wrong

It’s trying to boot from a CD/DVD drive.

Tell bios to boot the vmdk

Hi!

I tried to install Hassio on a Syno VM and it works fine (.vmdk). But is there a way the increase to storage? It’s very short.

@flamingm0e: How to do that on Synology? i got the same as Gustavo_Curzio but here no error only the row Booting from Hard disk no further action.