Mitsubishi AC with Wemos D1 Mini Pro

I have mitsubishi kirigamine zen unit and following this connections I got no success so far

• Esp32 + pap-04v-s connector (compatible with cn105)

from pap-04v-s to esp32

• 5v - 5v in esp32
  • gnd - gnd in esp32
  • tx - rx in esp32
  • rx - tx in esp32
  • 12v - no connected

Note: no resistor neither conversion to 3.3v

The only way I could connect to the esp32 over web server or home assistant was commenting “hardware_uart: UART1” in the climate section and although I can change values in the climate, it does not reflect to the Mitsubishi unit

I also tried with tx-tx and rx-rx, and also connecting to the esp32 gpio17 (tx2) and gpio16 (rx2) without response (access to the esp32).

Has anyone successfully got Mitsubishi unit connected using an esp32?

Thank you,

@miriumar
I’ll share a web article i found about 1 year ago which walks you step by step using tasmota on either an esp32 or 8266.
I have implemented with both boards and it works really well. Since using tasmota i’ve had practically zero issues.

I wanted to share the web link, but it seems it’s been removed since then:
https://isaiahchia.com/2022/06/16/integrating-mitsubishi-air-con-hvac-with-home-assistant-via-nodemcutasmota/

However, I saved a pdf of the artlcle and can share it with you. See below link

One issue I had with the esp32 ooard, was that one of the board types (34pin i think) has 2 x rx and 2 x tx pins and not both work. So if that’s your case, you’ll need to try both.

So you are not using esphlme but tasmota right? A pitty in my case because I am aiming to have everything in esphome because of easier maintenance.
And also you are using mqtt as you mentioned. Would like to have direct connectivity without mqtt but if no other way I will do. Nothing against mqtt but it is another layer to add between home assistant and the esp…
By the way, link you shared is up and working.

Thank you,

The reason I moved to tasmota is because when you update tasmota it updates to latest swicago library which is in continuous development.
The esphome swicago integration is not being actively maintained

Thanks for reply @juan11perez

Today, finally I get it working without need to MQTT just by setting up the esp32 to use UART1 with GPIOs 9 and 10 for RX and TX. I was unable to make it to work with UART0 neither UART2.
5V and GND remained as it was before.
Bit of newbie… but after compiling the firmware 15-20 times you end up crazy to figure out what worked vs not :laughing:

I will continue with esphome since checking the latest changes from swicago are not much longer than esphome. Indeed esphome one relies in the swicago library (specific version) but I could change this in the future if stops working.
Worst case scenario I could always try tasmota + mqtt if don’t work.

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Skip! I wanted to add my wiring diagram for the Original WeMos D1 Mini. I was able to get four units up and running yesterday with the help of this thread but I didn’t see anyone specifically showing the wiring on this unit.

I used these chips, available on Amazon and Ali Express:

I set up my wiring using your photo as a guide. The wiring looks like this, this is showing the underside:

I followed this guide for my ESPHome setup: GitHub - geoffdavis/esphome-mitsubishiheatpump: ESPHome Climate Component for Mitsubishi Heatpumps using direct serial connection it also includes a link to the wiring for this model. I found this wiring diagram helpful

I originally purchased the wrong chips because I didn’t understand the difference. The others might have worked, as people on this thread have said, but I found it easier to purchase the correct chips.

Thanks, everyone for your input on this thread, it is so nice to have these all setup now! It only took about 3 hours for 4 units!

5 Likes

I followed this…

and works perfect for me and a friend of mine.

It is in Italian, but easy to translate in internet :wink:

Hey, can you share the yaml for that card, i just cant work it out.

hi, I don’t know how to compile firmware. Do I only need to download the bin from that website and load it on a 8266?

It’s not quite that simple, unless there is a BIN file now available. Last I checked on the code, you had to download the code then compile it in the Arduino IDE to load it to the ESP8286 or similar chip.

To utilise this project, you will need to be comfortable with compiling firmware ,updating firmware regularly and tinkering in general with electrical and electronics . The firmware will need regular updates, especially when changes happen in Home Assistant, to keep it working.

As an example, I used the original code and library for the MSZ systems 5 years ago, and it was brilliant. If I used that identical code now, it would not work at all, and likely break Home Assistant if I tried to pull it in via MQTT.

Additionally, you do need to make sure that your ESP8286 is a good quality build and that your wiring is 100% correct. This little unit connects hardwired to the airconditioner, using the physical connector the Mitsubishi WiFi unit would use. If you cheap out on the ESP8286 development board, or you mess up your wiring, you could brick your air conditioner.

If I was doing this again now, I would actually make a little header board with fusing and protection on it, then mount the ESP8286 to that board instead of connecting the ESP8286 directly to an air-conditioning unit that costs hundreds, to over a thousand, dollars.
I just don’t trust a cheap $5 ESP8286 that much.

Unfortunately you have to compile your own as default tasmota bin doesn’t include the mitsubishi library.
It’s not very difficult but you do need to research a bit.
I do it with a docker container created by blackadder
https://hub.docker.com/r/blakadder/docker-tasmota

There’s also a Web page to do this. You’ll find ‘how to’ videos in you tube

@brendan @juan11perez Thank you!

After digging deeper, I found that compiling tasmota bin in Gitpod was way easier than I thought. I said I didn’t know how cuz I couldn’t get it to work with ESP32 WROOM. I got some 8266 yesterday and used tasmotizer to load the bin and it worked right away.

Let me answer my own questions here which may help some others.

The Italian page that @JuanSA00 posted was by far the easiest. Used google translate and I didn’t have a bit of problem following the instruction. It took about 20 min from downloading the first software to connect to HA. Once added to HA, the card shows right up, no extra codes need to insert.

Tasmota route requires to add codes in configuration.yaml for each one and add card manually. If you want to use Tasmosta and doesn’t know much about ESP, use something that tasmotizer supports like ESP8266, not ESP32. Follow the instruction from https://isaiahchia.com/ and download the bin file which was based on tasmota 11.1. Or if you want to use the latest version, watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WashxTcHiDc&ab_channel=vccground

1 Like

I like how you’ve put your header board on so that the pins extend out to the side (and not up or down). I’m thinking this would make the installation a bit easier.

I also have about 10 seconds delay on (read) updates. Is this normal?
update_interval: 500ms
seems to have no impact.

I have an Mitsubishi Heavy Industries SRK35ZSXA-W-S 3.5 kW

and only have a working OUTDOOR unit

is their anyway to connect to the outdoor unit and emulate its indoor unit working ? saves me replacing $500+ part then …

Yes. I found this mqtt implementation somehow has very bad lag. I have switched to esphome integration here.

There is no delay.

1 Like

I am using geoffdavis’ implementation. there is no delay in sending actions, but there is a bigger delay in receiving status updates in HA, see HVAC status updates take up to 25 seconds to appear in Home Assistant · Issue #114 · geoffdavis/esphome-mitsubishiheatpump · GitHub

Interesting. I am not sure if you are talking about using dumb remote and receive update which I have not tested. If I control everything through esp The status update is about 1 second lag for me. The only issue is quickly changing settings does not work the smoothly.

Yes I’m talking about all HVAC updates not initiated by the ESP (e.g. dumb remote)