Mitsubishi AirCon

My experience is that HA 0.96 breaks the component.

Just about every update to HA has managed to break the component. I will try to update my environment to 0.96 this weekend and figure out what the breaking changes are now. It would be actually kind of nice if the developers stopped messing with the already established component conventions? :frowning:

Happy to help test it out - getting two units installed this Thursday

Itā€™s going to be at least week or so because I donā€™t have the time to spare at the moment so I can only work on it during the weekend.

UPDATE: https://github.com/scottyphillips/echonetlite_homeassistant has been updated to support 3.0.2.

Thanks mate, will test on Thursday and let you know.

The climate component was definitely broken and needed to be sorted out to move on. Take a read of the relevant discussions.

Yes it is unfortunate that some custom components broke.

Some of the changes make little sense like sandwiching the AC modes with switching the unit on and off when in reality operating modes (heat/cool) are more often or not decoupled from whether the HVAC is switched on and off. I have read the forums and saw the pull requests to restore the on/off functionality so I know I am not alone in thinking thatā€¦ also, most of the changes were simply a matter of semantics ā€˜hvac_modeā€™ vs ā€˜operating_modeā€™ā€¦ whatever, Iā€™ve fixed it anyway.

Everything appears to be working perfectly in HA 0.96 with the new code. Thanks very much Scott.

Only thing I canā€™t seem to get working is the custom fan speeds. Any tips would be appreciated.

climate:
  - platform: mitsubishi
    ip_address: 192.168.75.70
    name: "Living Room HVAC"
    fan_list:
      - 'minimum'
      - 'low'
      - 'medium-low'
      - 'medium'
      - 'medium-high'
      - 'high'
      - 'very High'
      - 'max'
  - platform: mitsubishi
    ip_address: 192.168.75.71
    name: "Kid's HVAC"
    fan_list:
      - 'minimum'
      - 'low'
      - 'medium-low'
      - 'medium'
      - 'medium-high'
      - 'high'
      - 'very High'
      - 'max'

Yeah, my bad, with the climate changes introduced by the devs fan_list is now fan_modes. Totally worth it I reckon :slight_smile: clearly the existing component was the poorer for it. This should work:

fan_modes:
     - 'minimum' 
     - 'low' 
     - 'medium-low'
     - 'medium'
     - 'medium-high'
     - 'high'
     - 'very-high'
     - 'max' 

Also please be aware your split systems might not support every speed option so it will be a bit of trial and error.

Thank you, that solved it. For anyone else, my settings for MSZ-GE42VAD and MSZ-GE24VAD were:

fan_modes:
      - 'auto'
      - 'minimum'
      - 'low'
      - 'medium-low'
      - 'medium-high'
      - 'high'
1 Like

Thanks for those fan settings - I used those just fine

Thanks for all that work Scott and yur ongoing support with keeping it going with HA - it just worked here with HA 0.97.2. On my ducted system I have a couple of zones to allow us to shut off bedrooms when they are not being used. Iā€™d love to see those as switches that could be controlled :slight_smile:

Lol, I think 0.97 is the first version in about 6 months that didnt break the component. :grinning:

My own ducted system uses a third party zone controller, and so for my own case I would need to essentially hijack the control lines using a relay, which is going to be tricky to pull off to say the least. The ECHONET library I think does support flap operation for split systems, donā€™t think it supports zones so to speak. Are your zones controlled by the Mitsubishi app, or your AC control panel, or is it a seperate controller?

Hi Scott - yes HA does have itā€™s own little foibles doesnā€™t it. The zones are controlled by the app and also on the control pane, so very much standard, recognised features of the Mitsubishi wireless interface. I believe that one can have up to 8 zones. Handily, these also appear in the rules you can create, so for me (for example), itā€™s winter here, but we still get a lot of sun mid day, so I can turn the heating on in the morning, except for those two rooms which are currently unused and then open them up mid day and turn on fan mode to make use of the cooler air to cool the rest of the house.

Broken in 0.98.5. Log entry:

2019-09-12 10:38:01 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
File ā€œ/Users/culture/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.pyā€, line 300, in _async_add_entity
if entity.unique_id is not None:
AttributeError: ā€˜MelCloudClimateā€™ object has no attribute ā€˜unique_idā€™

Thanks @scotty

Just loaded up your code, and now I finally have Siri control over my 3 Mitsubishi Air Conditioners.

1 Like

Thanks Squashed, did you use the HACS community store for the download, or did you install it directly via Git?

I just grabbed it directly via Git

1 Like

There seems to be multiple ways of integrating Mitsubishi Air-Conditioners into Home Assistant.
SwiCago (on github) reverese engineered the protocol giving a library that can be used on an Arduino or ESPxxxx micro-controller to allow full local control via MQTT. There is also the cloud based solutions.
Iā€™d love to see both options fully integrated to give us the choice without needing custom components :).