Mitsubishi Kumo Cloud Integration

Original author here. The best way for you to support this integration is to pay it forward, help someone when you know the answer, as Daniel has done here.

1 Like

Oh my, this is outstanding - holy moly! thank you! HA is changing my life.

This is beautiful :slight_smile: Thank you all, my family will be so happy with this new power!

MS

as you wish :100::pray:

Hey @Miner_Second seems like you may get your chance to pay it forward already. lol Where did you find the Kumo integration for Home Assistant? I can’t seem to find it. Is it in the official store?

Thanks!

The easiest way to get Kumo setup is by installing the HACS store and downloading it through there. HACS install instructions are here: Initial Configuration | HACS

Thanks @James_Huang! I got it installed. Selected “local cache” during setup since I have static IP addresses. It found my two devices and added them to the dashboard. However, they both say unavailable:

EDIT: I fixed it by using this helpful post: Mitsubishi Kumo Cloud Integration - #257 by AlmtyBob

Curious if the tip at GitHub - dlarrick/hass-kumo: Home Assistant module interfacing with Mitsubishi mini-split units (using the “Refresh Settings” button in the Installer Settings section of KumoCloud app) helps here.

Newbie here. I have installed the Kumo Cloud from HACS. The 3 zones showed up on my dashboard but they say they are unavailable. Thoughts or any pointers on what to do next? Raspberry Pi install to SSD using Home Assistant.

Did you check out the post a couple above yours?

Provably addressed somewhere in the thread but does the current status (heating) show for the indoor unit or the outdoor unit?

I have two indoor units and a single outdoor. One unit is set to 65 with an current temp of 75ish. The other is set to 65 with current of 65. The second runs fairly frequently (downstairs), while the upstairs isn’t needed much.
The upstairs stills shows Heating though and the history makes it look like it’s heating even though well above the set temp.
So wondering if they status is reflecting the state of the outdoor unit vs the individual indoor units.

The status for each unit is based on what running at the indoor unit. With that said, my understanding is that this system (Mitsubishi) will only allow you to run either all of your indoor units on heat or all on cool. You can’t have some units cooling and some heating if they all feed to a single outdoor unit. There’s also no out of the box ‘maintain this temperature’ mode from what I can tell - if you started by heating a zone… it will stay on heating mode until otherwise told even if the temperature is way higher than what it the zone is set for.

1 Like

As James says, when the unit says it’s in “Heat” mode that’s just what it’s set to – not that it’s actually producing heat.

The Kumo units do not report whether they’re actually in operation (“calling” for heat or cooling) via their API, at least not that I’ve found thru reverse engineering. It’s a disappointing shortcoming that would be great to overcome, but I think it’s not possible.

My understanding is that if you put all the units connected to one outdoor unit into a “switchover zone” (in the Installer section of the Kumo app) and put them all into “heat/cool” mode (with a high & low setpoint), the system will auto-switch between heating & cooling under some circumstances (but for all units at once). I’ve never tried it though.

1 Like

This is the most common issue people have with Kumo. You can edit the IP addresses into the kumo_cache.json (as has been discussed on this thread recently) or you could try the tips listed here: GitHub - dlarrick/hass-kumo: Home Assistant module interfacing with Mitsubishi mini-split units

Thanks. First time heating with the unit and never paid attention to it when cooling.

So it will never show ‘Idle (Heat)’ in the screenshot below. As long as it’s on and in Heat mode it will be ‘heating’?

Part of the confusion here is that these units use an inverter, so its not a direct on/off. It should apply more power as difference between the set point and current temp increases and less power as they grow closer. Once equal, power should be zero. I really wish I could change the curves!

The Heat/Cool mode reported is simply the mode it’s in. It don’t think it reports if its currently heating (or cooling) and if it did, it would likely be some sort of power ratio rather than on/off. If it reports this info, I’ve not seen it in any project.

2 Likes

Does anyone know of a way to send a temperature setpoint from a Honeywell thermostat via Honeywell total connect comfort cloud to Kumo cloud? I want to control Kumo setpoint using a Honeywell IAQ thermostat for air zoning purposes, and Honeywell’s humidify, dehumidify, and ventilation controls are excellent.

Do you mean you want the Honeywell thermostat to control when the Kumo unit is running? Or you want to change the setpoint on the Honeywell and have the Kumo setpoint track it?

For the former I think PAC-US444CN-1 will allow you to hardwire the indoor unit as a zone from an external thermostat. I have no experience here, and I think you’d lose WiFi. There is no capability in the Kumo API (cloud or local) to affect the indoor unit’s sensed temperature or its control algorithms.

For the latter, if there’s a HA integration for your Honeywell, just set up an automation to change the Kumo setpoint when the Honeywell setpoint changes.

I want the latter, and I can set an automation to change the Kumo setpoint when the Honeywell setpoint changes.

I want to use the Mitsubishi thermostat because it does a much better job of optimally modulating the compressor and setpoint. The logic I want to implement is something like this:

Set HA automation to have Kumo cloud track zone 1 (upstairs) thermostat setpoint.

Set up automation that will CLOSE the basement damper if the heat pump is in heat or cool mode with thermal on and the basement (zone 2) Honeywell status is not calling for heat/cool. This will prevent the overheating or overcooking of the basement. Because there is no known way to output if the compressor is on, I could do this by monitoring the energy on the circuit.

Set up a HA automation to control a damper relay as follows:

If the basement stat is not calling for heat or cool (24v not applied to relay tied to thermostat), AND the upstairs damper is open (24v not applied to damper), and thermal ON heat pump power draw >400watt (i.e., compressor on), THEN close basement damper (apply 24V).

That seems overly complex, but I don’t know of a better way…

I do something somewhat similar: I have a mini-split head unit in one room that’s pretty wide open to adjoining rooms, and there’s a ceiling fan in there as well. So my automation says, if the mini-split is on (heat or cool mode, not detecting if it’s calling), and the temperature differential between that room and the other ones is greater than a few thresholds, run the ceiling fan at one of a few speeds. I do this with a python_script automation that’s called on a schedule.

Though to be honest this type of automation has nothing to do with the actual integration(s) involved so you might be better off starting a new topic if you’re looking for help.

I’ve been having some trouble with this integration. The logs show many errors of the form Error fetching kumo_<SERIAL #> data: Failed to update Kumo device: <Device Name>. This error occurs dozens of times per day. Furthermore, my set temperatures often change after a few hours without my input. There is no schedule set either in HA or Kumo. I’ve tried setting prefer_cache (my units all have static IPs) but that doesn’t seem to help. Does anyone have any experience with this?