Mitsubishi Kumo Cloud Integration

Part of the confusion here is that these units use an inverter, so its not a direct on/off. It should apply more power as difference between the set point and current temp increases and less power as they grow closer. Once equal, power should be zero. I really wish I could change the curves!

The Heat/Cool mode reported is simply the mode it’s in. It don’t think it reports if its currently heating (or cooling) and if it did, it would likely be some sort of power ratio rather than on/off. If it reports this info, I’ve not seen it in any project.

2 Likes

Does anyone know of a way to send a temperature setpoint from a Honeywell thermostat via Honeywell total connect comfort cloud to Kumo cloud? I want to control Kumo setpoint using a Honeywell IAQ thermostat for air zoning purposes, and Honeywell’s humidify, dehumidify, and ventilation controls are excellent.

Do you mean you want the Honeywell thermostat to control when the Kumo unit is running? Or you want to change the setpoint on the Honeywell and have the Kumo setpoint track it?

For the former I think PAC-US444CN-1 will allow you to hardwire the indoor unit as a zone from an external thermostat. I have no experience here, and I think you’d lose WiFi. There is no capability in the Kumo API (cloud or local) to affect the indoor unit’s sensed temperature or its control algorithms.

For the latter, if there’s a HA integration for your Honeywell, just set up an automation to change the Kumo setpoint when the Honeywell setpoint changes.

I want the latter, and I can set an automation to change the Kumo setpoint when the Honeywell setpoint changes.

I want to use the Mitsubishi thermostat because it does a much better job of optimally modulating the compressor and setpoint. The logic I want to implement is something like this:

Set HA automation to have Kumo cloud track zone 1 (upstairs) thermostat setpoint.

Set up automation that will CLOSE the basement damper if the heat pump is in heat or cool mode with thermal on and the basement (zone 2) Honeywell status is not calling for heat/cool. This will prevent the overheating or overcooking of the basement. Because there is no known way to output if the compressor is on, I could do this by monitoring the energy on the circuit.

Set up a HA automation to control a damper relay as follows:

If the basement stat is not calling for heat or cool (24v not applied to relay tied to thermostat), AND the upstairs damper is open (24v not applied to damper), and thermal ON heat pump power draw >400watt (i.e., compressor on), THEN close basement damper (apply 24V).

That seems overly complex, but I don’t know of a better way…

I do something somewhat similar: I have a mini-split head unit in one room that’s pretty wide open to adjoining rooms, and there’s a ceiling fan in there as well. So my automation says, if the mini-split is on (heat or cool mode, not detecting if it’s calling), and the temperature differential between that room and the other ones is greater than a few thresholds, run the ceiling fan at one of a few speeds. I do this with a python_script automation that’s called on a schedule.

Though to be honest this type of automation has nothing to do with the actual integration(s) involved so you might be better off starting a new topic if you’re looking for help.

I’ve been having some trouble with this integration. The logs show many errors of the form Error fetching kumo_<SERIAL #> data: Failed to update Kumo device: <Device Name>. This error occurs dozens of times per day. Furthermore, my set temperatures often change after a few hours without my input. There is no schedule set either in HA or Kumo. I’ve tried setting prefer_cache (my units all have static IPs) but that doesn’t seem to help. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Failure to communicate with the indoor unit is almost certainly poor WiFi quality as seen at the unit. Something as simple as repositioning the WiFi module behind its little door can help.

As for something changing the setpoint? No idea. The Kumo integration has no automation or scheduling whatsoever. Have you turned on some sort of “eco mode” on your unit that would gradually change things?

I have the same issue where my units go “unavailable” for a minute or so at a time all throughout the day. It definitely seems to be based on Wi-Fi connectivity. I have a very robust UniFi network, and still a couple units that aren’t right on top of an AP struggle. I believe the capability of the units is the weakness here.

I’ll check the manual for any sort of eco mode. I recall reading something about presence detection, so maybe that’s the culprit for the temperature changes, but as for the wifi, I don’t think that’s the issue. The units all claim to have a very strong signal and they’re very near to access points.

Units got a workout this past week with negative temps.
I am seeing the same low drops.
I will say that this is in a vacant room (prepped for painting) that was converted from a garage. R20 walls and spray foamed ceiling but a very cold uninsulated slab with no rugs or anything at the moment. Just mentioning in case that has an impact.

Is this just the defrost mode kicking in?

download

Another thing that makes me question the sensor is this:

This indicates that it dropped 6 degrees in 5 minutes. Thinking of the room as a whole, I know it’s not doing that :grinning:

Is this because the unit is adjusting causing the coils to drop this fast and the ‘Current Temp’ sensor (physical) is just in a bad spot?

I know you guys mentioned the cube sensors and looking online, sounds like that may be the answer to the 5 minute variance.
PAC-USWHS003-TH-1

So if I were to get one of these and hook it up would Kumo automatically use it and thus HA would pull it in without any change needed?

My sensor arrived today but the unit is off since the painting was supposed to happen today so haven’t really used it though I hooked it up.

Is there a way to expose the humidity as a sensor?

It’s an attribute. You’ll have to use a template sensor. Patches welcome.

1 Like

I am considering getting the Kumo Cloud adapter installed on our Mitsubishi system, but it uses an “SVZ Multi-position Air Handler” instead of mini splits. Does this integration support air handlers? Or just mini splits? Thanks!

Unless someone chimes in here with direct knowledge, we have no way of knowing.

If the unit is accessible via Kumo Cloud iOS / Android app, though, chances are pretty good it will at least be recognized. The tools & techniques at GitHub could then be used to figure out any features that don’t work quite right. Being in the Kumo Cloud ecosystem, though, is a definite prerequisite.

Thanks for the response! It’s in the Kumo Cloud ecosystem for sure, but the air handler is effectively a “heat-pump driven furnace” or central air system. The rooms in our house are so small that the installer recommended this instead of an unnecessarily large heat pump to drive so many mini-splits.

I’ll report back if we move forward.

I have two SVZ air handlers connected with this integration and haven’t had any problems with it. Hope that helps you make your decision!

1 Like

I have a 5 zone system, with 4 ceiling cassettes and one ducted unit that looks similar to the SVZ units Google is finding. My installer quoted a “MSVZKP18NA” for the public rooms of our house. It is a furnace sized metal box that sits in the attic and has an air intake from our ceiling and pushes conditioned air out ducts to our very open public rooms. We control it with a Kumo MHK2 thermostat, the same as the rest of our mini-splits (so 5 thermostats total). All 5 units work great with this integration and were picked up automatically. In the UI, the ducted unit looks the same as the rest of the units, but has no “Swing mode”.

Ducted unit (MSVZKP18NA):

Normal units (MLZ-KP09NA-U1):

In HA the temperatures are consistently 1 degree higher. Both current temperature and set point. This is happening on both zones. Any idea what is happening?

The Kumo API (both local and cloud) uses temperatures in degrees C.

Kumo Cloud app (and webapp) uses a lookup table to convert between F and C. Insane.

In HA, conversion is done automatically by the core (nothing to do with the integration).

1 Like