Mitsubishi MELCLOUD integration with Home Assistant

There’s an unpopulated connector on the pcb, to which to connect the esp32. Here’s the software and guide: GitHub - geoffdavis/esphome-mitsubishiheatpump: ESPHome Climate Component for Mitsubishi Heatpumps using direct serial connection. But this is off-topic, so let’s not continue here.

2 Likes

@vilppuvuorinen i just copied the melcloudexp to my custom_component then when i add the integration pop up this error,

How can i solve?

Great to see active work on MEL Cloud, I am currently researching which heat pump would be optimal for our house and it seems Mitsubishi is very much recommended. As an bonus, MEL Cloud + HA seems to be usable out of the box.

However, few questions popped in to my mind.

1. Is there any local / MQTT control options available for Mitsubishi heat pumps?

2. Does anyone know if the I-see 3D sensor is available/published via MEL Cloud? Would be neat to utilize built-in motion sensor for automation.

3. Are all the custom heating modes available out of the box or can they be implemented manually? Ie. Fireplace mode etc.

At the moment we are looking into the model MSZ-LN25VG2W if that makes any difference.

Edit: After diving into Melcloud deeper it seems that the API is undocumented… That seems to rule out points 1 & 2 completely or at least make scenarios highly unlikely. While I don’t have heat pump yet, I am assuming motion detection isn’t displayed on melcloud app, which would suggest no such detail is available via API and even if it would be there, polling API to detect movement is not efficient or fast enough. Fun idea, but easier and faster to buy a separate sensor :sweat_smile: MQTT would have been great for local control tho… Anyone up for sending feature requests to Mitsubishi? :thinking:

1 Like

Can you pls share the code to do this? trying to do the exact thing. Just installed the melcloud with hassio.

Also is it possible to call a preset in hassio created through the web/app interface?

Sorry, I don’t have that automation any more, as I currently use esphome-mitsubishiheatpump for controlling the unit completely locally. I also don’t know anything about presets.

But start by making a simple automation, then improve it iteratively. Something like this (pseudocode example):

trigger: inside temperature change
if: inside_temperature < (target_temperature - 0.5)
  action: climate.set_temperature: 30
  action: climate.set_hvac_mode: heat
elseif: inside_temperature > (target_temperature + 0.5)
  action: climate.set_hvac_mode: off

Don’t copy this, but something like this should be a good starting point.

1 Like

Can anybody help me find the energy usage in the MELCloud integration? The set-up seems to be otherwise OK & I can read all the temperatures I need. However my installation does not show any energy sensors at all. Have I missed out a step in the set-up? I’ve got an Ecodan monobloc ASHP & the energy data is on the FTC5 display.
Looking at “devices” on app.melcloud.com i can find the data:

DailyEnergyConsumedDate: "2022-12-05T00:00:00"
DailyEnergyProducedDate: "2022-12-05T00:00:00"
DailyHeatingEnergyConsumed: 9.46
DailyHeatingEnergyProduced: 14.66
DailyHotWaterEnergyConsumed: 2.86

But where is it in Home Assistant?

MSZ-LN35VGW exposed daily and total consumption data via additional sensors directly. Did you check the Melcloud device and/or entities?

Problem is, these figures are not correctly processed on the energy dashboard. It always says 0.1kwh/h no matter how much electricity the device consumes.

Not sure if I should use the daily or total increasing/accumulating kwh data :thinking:

Edit: Added both daily and total energy consumption to energy dashboard. Both values seems off vs Melcloud energy report.

Total energy 0.7kwh
Daily energy 4.02kwh
Melcloud 48.3kwh

What’s going on with the energy metering with Melcloud?

I’ve got a PUZ-WM60VAA monobloc air-to-water and I can read estimated energy consumption & output for both hot water & heating within both the MELCloud app and by finding listdevices within app.melcloud.com.
However in the MELCloud integration the only energy sensor I can find is sensor.ashp_daily_energy_consumed which is zero and always has been.
The full list of sensors in the integration is:

Sensors
Zone 1 Room Temperature (Hidden) 21.0 °C
Zone 2 Flow Return Temperature (Hidden) 21.0 °C
Zone 2 Flow Temperature 24.5 °C
Zone 2 Room Temperature (Hidden) 21.0 °C
Daily consumed 0.0 kWh
DHW 47.5 °C
Ext (HP) 7.0 °C
Flow 24.5 °C
Return 21.0 °C

I’m trying to monitor CoP for both HW & htg as there is something wrong with my installation & its performance has got MUCH worse. The unit has an FTC5 display and Mitsubishi say that this means estimated energy data is available. I’m happy with it being estimated as I’m looking for what has changed & when.

1 Like

I believe this is broken in the current release of the integration

Hi

I am a brand new Home Assistant user (= don’t know what I’m doing!) and I’ve just installed your Melcloud Integration and I can’t see the control for the Horizontal Vane in the UI. I have so far found the YAML code parameters under Developer Tools, States which seems to show that all possible fan and vane controls are available, however the UI just shows Operation, Fan Mode and Swing Mode (which I think is the same as Vertical mode?):

How do I get the UI to show Vertical Mode (instead of Swing Mode) and Horizontal mode?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello everyone, I have been using this for quite some time, with an indoor split AC unit. About a year ago, there was an update where any change would be “transmitted” instantly back to HA, e.g. when turning the unit on or off via the IR remote. I am no longer getting instant updates, not even the 1-minute-delayed ones, sometimes it seems that it takes very long to update HA with the current status of the unit. Is there some way to change the polling frequency?

Edit: The MELcloud app on my phone seems to update almost instantly, HA is the one that is lagging.

Thanks

Hello, what command do I have to enter in the terminal to get the values to set /Device/SetAtw . Command:

curl -v -H “X-MitsContextKey: contextkeynumbersgohere” “https://app.melcloud.com/Mitsubishi.Wifi.Client/Device/SetAtw

does not work.
Thank you

curl -v -H “X-MitsContextKey: ABC1234567890” “https://app.melcloud.com/Mitsubishi.Wifi.Client/user/ListDevices?id=123456&buildingID=123456”| jq “.[].Structure.Devices[].Device”

it was for my heatpump.

Help! As a new HA user I’ve been going round in circles trying to understand Home Assistant and the the @vilppuvuorinen MelCloud integration but keep getting stuck. I have a Mitsubishi MSZ-AP25VG air/air unit and have setup Home Assistant on Hyper-V on my PC for testing purposes.

I’ve installed the MelCloud integration via the UI and can get the Climate card showing current temperature, current State and options (Heat, Cool, Fan, etc) and clicking on the 3 dots gives Target temperature and 3 parameters: Operation, Fan mode and Swing mode. But that’s all.

I can use these parameters to create a scene but when creating the scene via the UI can’t change the Horizontal vane direction, nor the Vertical Vane direction (although this seems to be the same as the oddly named Swing Control so here I just want to change the name of the control so it’s meaningful.).

If I look in the configuration.YAML file all I see is this:

Which makes no specific reference to anything. If I look in the Scenes.YAML file I can see the scenes I’ve created through the UI and change the Horizontal Vane position here, but not through the UI.

What I want in the first place is to be able to see all the controls in the UI like I can in the MelCloud app and then be able to use any of those options to make ad hoc changes or to create scenes through the UI. Is this possible and if so how do I add the Horizontal and vertical vanes to the UI and remove the Swing mode?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Advice please: I’ve found a way to get yesterday’s energy data into sensors using the above curl commands but it is extremely kludgy. Can anyone help me make this more elegant and maybe in an automation that runs once a day.
I’ve added this to configuration.yaml:-

sensor:
  - platform: command_line
    name: HP_DHW_In
    command: curl -H "X-MitsContextKey:xyz" "https://app.melcloud.com/Mitsubishi.Wifi.Client/user/ListDevices?id=id&buildingID=idB"| jq ".[].Structure.Devices[].Device.DailyHotWaterEnergyConsumed"
    unit_of_measurement: kWh
    scan_interval: 86400
    name: HP_DHW_Out
    command: curl -H "X-MitsContextKey:xyz" "https://app.melcloud.com/Mitsubishi.Wifi.Client/user/ListDevices?id=id&buildingID=idB"| jq ".[].Structure.Devices[].Device.DailyHotWaterEnergyProduced"
    name: HP_Htg_Out
    command: curl -H "X-MitsContextKey:xyz" "https://app.melcloud.com/Mitsubishi.Wifi.Client/user/ListDevices?id=id&buildingID=idB"| jq ".[].Structure.Devices[].Device.DailyHeatingEnergyProduced"
    name: HP_Htg_In
    command: curl -H "X-MitsContextKey:xyz" "https://app.melcloud.com/Mitsubishi.Wifi.Client/user/ListDevices?id=id&buildingID=idB"| jq ".[].Structure.Devices[].Device.DailyHeatingEnergyConsumed"

With thanks to troon (see https://community.home-assistant.io/t/im-using-command-line-curl-but-there-must-be-a-better-solution/518097/8?u=dji) I’ve now got access to any of the devices that MELCloud reports & I’m now trying to understand why the ASHP is using twice the power it should. Has anyone else found this or worked on understanding it?
In a nutshell I find that

1. MELCloud under-reports it’s electrical power use by typically 15% (compared to a kWh meter on the supply to the Ecodan). I also suspect it is over-reporting its heating energy output (based on my understanding of the thermal performance of my new house)
  2. The CoP for the heating is significantly below what Mitsubishi’s tables claim (they give a range & I’ve used worst case and allowed for actual temperature at the HP). Eg With the recent temperatures Mistubishi claim a CoP of 4.8, MELCloud is reporting 3.3 but I’m reading 2.7 from the actual power use.

One thing that woud be very useful is a definition of the various devices within the MELCloud call; eg the various status flags plus “HeatPumpFrequency” and “DemandPercentage”. Does anyone know where these can be found?
Any thoughts on how to investigate further?

1. That is ‘normal’. The internal measurement is just a estimate based on the circumstances and settings. It can differ that much.
  2. Check if you can drop your flow temperature, increase your flow in the whole system. That’s your best change to gain an better COP.

HeatPumpFrequentcy can not be seen via MELcloud. You will have to use a Melcobems Mini with modbus to get that out of the system.

Thanks breinonline.
Using the actual power consumption gives a CoP for yesterday of 2.9 when it should be 4.7!
I worded my question badly: in fact my REST call can get any data I want now and one of the interesting numbers is “HeatPumpFrequency”. What I’d like to know is exactly what it means (as well as the definition of all those other devices in MELCloud, such as xxxStatusxxx).

hi,
i get all the infos:

json_attributes:
      - FlowTemperature
      - FlowTemperatureZone1
      - FlowTemperatureZone2
      - HeatPumpFrequency
      - OutdoorTemperature
      - ReturnTemperature
      - ReturnTemperatureZone1
      - ReturnTemperatureZone2
      - TargetHCTemperatureZone1
      - TargetHCTemperatureZone2
    value_template: '{{ value_json.TargetHCTemperatureZone1 }}'
    scan_interval: 30
    command_timeout: 10

how can i set the TargetHCTemperatureZone1? is it possible with curl command?

Is anybody using the Horizontal vane controls and if so how are you implementing them in the UI? Any info on this subject would be much appreciated!