Mitsubishi Wifi Module WF-RAC (Smart M-Air)

I just wanted to make every one aware, it would appear that there is an issue with these WF-RAC modules whereby they are performing an ARP spoofing attack on my network.

This was confirmed just now with support from my router manufacturer, TP-Link. 10.1 is my router and the A0:43 mac addresses are the WF-RAC adapters.

arp: 192.168.10.1 moved from 9c:a2:f4:57:6d:5e to a0:43:b0:5a:cb:82 on igb0
arp: 192.168.10.1 moved from 9c:a2:f4:57:6d:5e to a0:43:b0:5a:cc:48 on igb0
arp: 192.168.10.1 moved from 9c:a2:f4:57:6d:5e to a0:43:b0:5a:d7:85 on igb0

This is happening every hour for about 10 seconds for each WF-RAC unit.

Please check your networks for any suspicious activity.

Hi Dazmatic,

I do not have these messages (yet). Would be strange if this wifi module is changing mac-address (like an iphone). And maybe i am wrong, but should not be the ip-adres of the WF-RAC in the error./log instead the router ip? no it looks like the router changed mac-address, or am i wrong?

trying to understand.

what kind of TP-router you have?

The module isnā€™t changing MAC addresses - itā€™s changing IP addresses, the record above is basically showing that the gateway address has moved to a different device on the network i.e. the wifi module is now the gateway and is telling all other devices on the network that it is the gateway and to forward all packets to it.

Itā€™s incredibly shady. Iā€™ve contacted MHI UK for support and theyā€™re speaking with the manufacturer.

Itā€™s a TP-Link ER605. Unfortunately it doesnā€™t come with ARP Protection enabled out of the box. Itā€™s now been enabled as well as GARP (to prevent changes) and you can see the WiFi modules doing it every hour.

1 Like

Hi there, recently I had an AC installed and integrated it successfully in HA.
I used the better_thermostat card to display/control settings and that works.

However I was missing some settings ā€¦

When you click on the 3 dots top right, you can see:

• Operation (Off, Auto, Cool, Heat, Fan, Dry) ā†’ this is displayed and controllable with the icons.
  • Fan mode (Auto, 1 Lowest, 2 Low, 3 High, 4 Highest)
  • Swing mode (Up/Down Auto, Highest, Middle, Normal, Lowest, 3D Auto)

Fan mode and Swing mode are not available as entities or sensors???
Or am I missing something?

horizontal swing direction is available and controllable?
Why canā€™t I see and control the other 2?
What am I missing?

I got this error message? Any suggestions what this is about and how to resolve it?

I googled for a solution and found:

There is some info about unloading, but no idea what this is all about.
Any help appreciated.

@dazmatic did you hear anything from MHI concerning this?

I see (in my Unifi network) that my WF-RAC module is disconnecting/connecting exactly every hour.
That is too much of a coincidence after reading your story.

Iā€™m still speaking to them. Theyā€™re refusing to help and acknowledge the issue.

As it seems one canā€™t select ECO or SILENT, what will happen when this is selected by the remote. Will the Integration overwrite a selected ECO or SILENT option with the remote, when the HA integration starts a new heating operation or will the Settings of the remote be saved?

How are you all controlling your aircons ?

I would love to use a Aqara temperature sensor to trigger the ac to heat, cool or dry.

The temperature sensor in the ac is not very accurate. A standalone sensor would be perfect to trigger the smart ac.

Hello All,

Sorry to bother you but I canā€™t the answer for my situation anywere. I have a Mitsubishi airco and the WiFi module working with the M-AIR app on my smartphone. I installed the integration in HA following the instructions - add custom repository and install via add integration.

I only canā€™t control the airco from HA. It was working before but after a holliday it did not work any more. (Had to reset the WiFi module for it did not get an IP-adress anymore). After a reset of the WiFi module and reinstall of the M-AIR app on my smartphone it is working again.

In HA I removed the custom integration - reboot HA - re-install te custom integration

It seems all OK. When the airco is turned on I can see this in HA. (Turning it on goes with a timer in the M-AIR app), also when the airco is turned off I can see this in HA. I only canā€™t control the airco from within HA. This was working before i had to reset te WiFi module. There is also only 1 account were I acpect two accounts, 1 for my smartphone and one for HA.

How to add the account for HA so I can control the airco from within HA?

Thanks in advance and sorry for any inconvinience.

@dazmatic thanks for letting us know.

Can you update this topic when you hear something from MHI?

Hi, so Mitsubishi have now agreed and replaced the WF-RAC modules via my AC engineer.

However, the issue of ARP attacks remain with the new modules.

It looks like itā€™s not malicious but more a case of bad design by Mitsubishi.

I have the same problem with the SRK25ZS-WF.
My air conditioners are disconnected/connected to the network every full hour.
I use different APs, so this isnā€™t the issue.
Restarting the entire system did not solve the problem.
Personally, I think a firmware update of the built-in WiFi units could solve the problem.

Iā€™ve now had the WiFi Modules replaced under warranty and the issue has remained but with the new modules instead. I think itā€™d be fairly safe to assume that it isnā€™t malicious from a MiM attack but certainly a security concern from Mitubishi

Anyone know how to do a full factory reset with a WF series embedded version?

Manual says to reset lan settings by pressing OFF-TIMER + 3D AUTO on the remote for 5 seconds, followed by a 5 second press of the SET button.

It resets, sort of, but when trying to config the network again I get to the stage where I can add enable the AP config option, and then when I connect to the ACā€™s temporary wifi network, the Smart M Air app does not show the AC in the list.

So there must be a deep er reset option or something else I am missingā€¦

This is how I have to config the Wifiā€¦ https://www.mhi-mth.co.jp/en/products/pdf/RSA012A13210_EN_Web.pdf

But it fails for me at step 5.(B).(2)

Nothing shows, even after tapping ā€œFind unregistered Air Conditionersā€. And I am in fact on the deviceā€™s wifi network correctly.

Page 33 of this guide describes how to reset the plan settingsā€¦ But it is not helping at all. https://www.mhi-mth.co.jp/en/products/pdf/rlf012a216b_english_s.pdf

If your smartphone is running on iOS17, it is not possible to connect the units to the local network with the Smart M-Air app, because the Smart M-Air app does not work with iOS17.
No matter what you do or try, it just doesnā€™t work.
Maybe it will work with Android, but I donā€™t know.

Good info.

Sure hope they will fix it.

Edit: Tried an up to date Android phone. Same issue. So is it 2 wifi modules causing problems, or a problem in the software? Considering it is 2 modules exhibiting the same behavior I am inclined to think it is related to something in the Smart m Air software. But looking for confirmation outside of my own observations.

Thanks @complex1 Frank, I tried to add wifi module to my new router, but unfortunately, I could not found the device using my iPhone with IOS 17ā€¦Looking forward to a solution!

System requirements of the Smart M-Air app is Android OS 8 ~ 13 smartphone and tablet.
If you have a new OS version, it will most likely not work either.

I managed to connect the ACs to the local network with an old iPhone 5S running iOS12.5.7.
Maybe someone you know who has an iPhone with an ā€œolderā€ iOS can help you.