Monoprice Multizone - bass, treble, balance controls?

wow…amazing.

quick question, if I overwrite the previous custom component folder, will I have to resetup my zones, inputs, etc?

I do not believe so, I apologize in advance if you need to. Please let me know your results.

Just did it…did not need to re-setup the integration.

However, I noticed that it obviously added a whole lot more entities as expected. However, when I first installed the custom integration, the 2nd and 3rd set of zones (if you had 3 units daisy-chained together) were automatically disabled by the integration. But when all the new entities were added, they were not automatically disabled for those disabled 2nd and 3rd sets.

Not a big deal as I selected all of them and disabled them manually.

Haven’t played around with any of the settings, but I’m assuming that there may be a way now, to utilize the PA sensor to trigger a broadcast based on an event?

Thanks again for the amazing work updating this integration, and quickly making enhancements.

1 Like

I am hoping so also, this would most likely be my next feature.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know, I will get this fixed.

a couple of other small suggestions, if possible.

The balance might be better if the range was -5 to +5, where middle was 0.

Not sure if this is possible as I suspect the monoprice control is dictating that, but thought I’d ask.

This might be bigger, but currently when you turn on the zone in the UI, the volume slider is visible. But once you turn off the zone, the volume slider is not longer visible. Is it possible to do the same for the Bass/Treble/Balance sliders?

Thanks again, looking forward to anything new you can think up.

Unfortunately this is a limitation of the amp, however a workaround could be changing the step amount from 1 step to 2. Doing this will make movement of the slider for effective with less movement. What do you think?

I am hoping so. I can’t find any dev documentation on how to do this, but I will keep looking. Thanks for the idea.

1 Like

It’s definitely not a priority. It’s fine the way it is, and to be honest, balance is probably a function I’ll hide from the UI anyway.

Thanks for the guidance, coppertop, and for all your work on this, Brad!

Brad, I think your second round of coding did the trick. I think the problem was that–when the code wasn’t working for me–I restored HA back to its earlier state, which meant I was actually working in HA 2022.4.5. I do now see a selectable option for the custom component when I choose to add the integration, and so now things are ok (and thanks again go to coppertop for pointing me in the right direction to know that I should see that custom option in that menu!).

I do now see a ton of really cool options. In my case I have 3 monoprice WHA units, so I have 21 devices and 129 entities.

Some quick comments:

• It looks like Zones 10, 20, and 30 have been added (as noted in Githhub) to serve as master controls for each of the three possible daisy-chained Monoprice units. Zone 10 is enabled, while Zones 20 and 30 are disabled by default.
  • For Zone 11 (for example), I now see the following entities: media player, balance, bass, treble, “do not disturb,” keypad, and public announcement.
  • Balance, bass, and treble are number entities, while keypad and ‘do not disturb’ are sensors.
  • Seven entities per zone x 18 zones = 126 entities. Plus three entities to cover the master controls (zones 10, 20, and 30), and that gives us the 129 entities. Love it!
  • I see additional HA services such as set_balance, set_bass, and set_treble

I used an entities Lovelace card for detailed control of zone audio (see below). This is great, thanks!
Treble and bass controls work great. However, it looks like there is an issue with the balance control feature, at minimum for zone 14. At first moving the slider did change the audio balance, but shortly thereafter the balance became non-responsive (i.e., I could drag the slider and the visual of the balance control showed a change, but there was no actual change to the actual audio balance). This means that right now all of my sound is coming out of the left speaker, for this zone.

I tried running the following code in Developer Tools, but it still did not change the actual speaker balance (the sound still only comes out of the left speaker):

service: monoprice_custom.set_balance
data:
  level: 10
target:
  entity_id:
    - number.zone_14_balance

Despite my trying different values for ‘level,’ HA’s logbook just showed I was changing the balance to either 0 or 10, and in either case there was no change to the actual audio (i.e., effectively it stayed at zero (left speaker), despite what the logbook said about moving to 10). Could you perhaps look into this one as well?

Also, I think there is an issue with the master control zones (10, 20, and 30). I saw a lot of weird behavior in Lovelace when any one of those three zones were enabled. This included different zones turning on and off inappropriately (e.g., If I turned zone 11 on, one or more other zones might turn on too, even though zone 11 is not the master control). Disabling all three of those master control zones solved the issue.

Sorry for a long post, lots of things to communicate. Thanks again, Brad, for all your work!!!

Dave

1 Like

@DaveW42, I am glad you got it working! Thanks for the feedback. I will work to fix the issues you have mentioned.

I have fixed the issue, but you will have to download the new version from Github.

After updating, to fix you balance issue please adjust the code below, change you entity to your media_player entity for that zone.

service: monoprice_custom.set_balance
data:
  level: 10
target:
  entity_id:
    - number.zone_14_balance -> *change to media_player.zone_14*

Nice lovelace config! Would you mind if I use that on my Github page?

1 Like

Very nice indeed! I was working on a custom Xantech integration for the Dayton Audio DAX88 (8 zone, 8 input). I just exposed Bass, Treble and Balance as attributes and was working toward the my own “xantech_custom.set_bass”. Your code should help me a lot!

1 Like

Thanks, Brad! The balance slider now works!

You can certainly use that image on your Github. However, instead of using that one, how about the one below instead? After I posted I realized that I had the zone off (and thus the zone volume control didn’t appear). The image below will show that volume is accessible here as well.

Thanks again!!!

Dave

1 Like

Perfect, good call. Thank you.

Great work. Any plans to add ypur changes to the official integration?

1 Like

Old thread, but just wanted to let people know that this integration wouldn’t work currently, since it relies on the built-in Monoprice integration that has been broken as part of the 2022.7 update (more specifically Python 3.10 upgrade, that changed signatures for some methods that are relied upon by the underlying dependency). If @thebradleysanders could switch this integration to use sync initialization methods instead of async, it would start working again.

I will look into this, thank you.

This is just a quick note to indicate that I have been using this integration on a daily basis and it does still appear to be working great for me. The only issue I have run into is that–if I turn one of my three amps off–then there is a significant delay when sending a command to a zone. This is very minor issue (very happy to have this integration!)

Has this integration been fixed? I have been trying to use it and every time I try to add it, it does the basic HA one, and not the custom one.
I do not see “custom” in the name when trying to add it.

And after adding, none of the zones have the bass/treble/etc options.

even looking in dev tools > services> i do not see any bass/etc there.

I need to spend some time, updating the component, one that is complete it should work for you. I will update this once I am complete.

1 Like