Monoprice Z-Wave RGB Light bulb ( Hank HKZW-RGB01 RGB )

I decided to try out a Z-Wave bulb and picked this one up on sale. They had non RGB ones, but they didn’t have any left, so I bought this one.

I was able to pair it to my Aeotec Gen5 stick. It shows up as a light with on/off button and when double-clicking on it, it shows the ability to change color and brightness. However, it will not change colors; but I was able to dim the light then couldn’t get it back to full brightness. After un-pairing and pairing back up, it was at full brightness.

I turned the light on for about an hour, turned it off for another hour. Then tried to turn it back on, but it wouldn’t come back on. According to HA, it stated that it is dead so I thought it was a bad bulb. Using the mechanical switch, it would light up briefly when turning it on and off quickly.

Since it was “dead”, I couldn’t seem to un-pair it. Finally, I shut off HA Pi and used the stick in un-pairing mode, and quickly turned off and on the bulb, where the stick finally verified that it was un-paired. Afterwards, the light would turn on and off with the mechanical switch.

I paired it up again, this time I left it on overnight and it seems to work ok now, but not sure if it is in secure mode. However, changing RGB still didn’t work, so I added an automation to turn it on, off, and change color, which works fine. After doing this, when double-clicking on the light, I’m able to change color and dim the bulb…weird.

So, it shows up as: zwave.hank_hkzwrgb01_rgb_bulb and light.level_4. I used light.level_4 in my automation:

- alias: 'Turn off MBR Light'
  trigger:
    platform: time
    at: '20:14:00'
  action:
    service: light.turn_off
    data:
      entity_id: 
        - light.level_4

- alias: 'Turn on MBR Light'
  trigger:
    at: '20:00:00'
  action:
    service: light.turn_on
    data:
      entity_id: 
        - light.level_4

- alias: 'Turn on Lime MBR Light'
  trigger:
    at: '06:00:00'
  action:
    service: light.turn_on
    data:
      rgb_color: [0, 255, 0]
      entity_id: 
        - light.level_4

I’ve noticed that some of my Z-Wave devices have a specific way to pair secure vs. non (pressing the button twice instead of once for example). Perhaps this bulb has something similar? I’ve read that if a secure device isn’t paired in secure mode, it’s possible that not all functionality may be available, which could align with what you’ve experienced as well?

That said, I’ve also had a couple of Monoprice/Hank devices that I haven’t been super impressed with and no longer use as a result…

I don’t see anything about reduced functionality.

For these, they require that you switch the light off/on three times in three seconds…which doesn’t give you enough time in my opinion. It’s suppose to flash green (which it did the first time). But after exclusion and inclusion again, it would start to turn blue after the first off/on switch, but kept on switching off/on… So not sure if it’s secure or not. It would be nice if HA had an indicator indicating secured devices.

What brand are you using?

I just got 2 of the same bulbs and HA is not giving me the option to change colors

On the bulb’s card it shows “Effect” with a drop down arrow but there it does nothing.

Added and removed several times. Completely lost.

Capture

Any idea how to get this to display the colors?

Did you use your stick to add or did you use HASS to add it? I used HASS at first, it showed up but couldn’t adjust the color. I tried using the stick, but in the end using HASS to add the node finally worked. Also, try adding an automation as shown above and see if it will trigger color change.

Jruben4 got it going using HASS to add node:

I had the same issue, and as soon as I added securely like Brett_C suggested, everything worked as expected.