Mosquito MQTT update v3 broke my hassio

No, 139 was a fix for a horrible 138 error which sent supervisor container into a restart loop. If you rebooted while running 138 and mqtt v3 you had to delete discovery.json to get back up and running.

same here, frustrated…
now after some reboots I don’t even get the UI…

1 Like

Hey @pvizeli any chance of a bit of guidance?

worked for me, do not forget to delete the addon first, then restore from backup and reboot.

I currently have all my MQTT switches configured in config yaml.

If I decide to comment them out and restart and then enable MQTT discovery in the integration, will I need to reconfigure my switches to work or will discovery pick up the topic (command and state)?

I’m just tossing up if I should use the ‘new’ way as these things have a tendency to be broken without warning in the future and I’d like to keep ahead of the curve…

I suppose I could just bite the bullet and see…

Ok This time I have it figured out (I know I’ve said it before…)

1. Update to latest HA version and supervisor.
    1a) Delete mqtt: from your configuration.yaml
  2. Create a HA user for use with mqtt
  3. Delete and reinstall mosquito mqtt addon V3. Probably not necessary unless you made a mess like I did.
  4. Start the mqtt addon.
  5. Restart HA
  6. Configure the mqtt integration. No need to add any username or password. If it asks for this retry after refreshing your browser cache (CTRL + F5) and you should get a dialogue box without login or password requirements.
  7. Update all your mqtt devices with the user and password created in step 2.
  8. Restart HA.
3 Likes

and don’t forget that in your known_devices.yaml your cell-phone names changed to the mqtt login name you replaced homeassistant with. :slight_smile:

1. DON’T create a new user - use the same local user you had before (as long as it wasn’t the homeassistant user)
  2. Unless yu were using homeassistant user, you don’t need a new user and you don’t need to change a thing
2 Likes

I did not have a user specified for mqtt before. I was using anonymous login. Also this user is for the devices not the mqtt addon.

thanks for that “delete” hint, managed to revert to mosquitto 2 for now and HA is back working

In the MQTT addon I had a user and password configured (still do) and that is the same as the user I had set in the devices.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand?

I did not replace the homeassistant user. I added a new user for mqtt. This has nothing to do with my cellphone. It uses Owntracks HTTP and iOS app.

I was playin around. A bit ago I set up owntracks on our phones and followed the manual by using homeassistant for a login on the phones. known_devices.yaml picked the phones up as homeassistant_richard and homeassistant_sandy for the device id’s. Changing today to a different login to avoid conflicts changed the known_devices name.

I am getting an error that I haven’t seen anyone talk about here when I run mosquitto_pub on the linux cli:

root@pi3:~# mosquitto_pub -h 192.168.1.8 -i pi3 -u hassio -P hassio -t “test” -m “test”

1541471412: New connection from 192.168.0.5 on port 1883.
[INFO] found hassio on local database
1541471413: New client connected from 192.168.0.5 as pi3 (c1, k60, u’hassio’).
1541471413: ACL denying access to client with dangerous client id “mosqsub/619-pi3”
1541471413: Client pi3 disconnected.
I have read up on the ACLs but that doesn’t seem to do it?

my v3 config:

{
“logins”: [
{
“username”: “hassio”,
“password”: “hassio”
}
],
“anonymous”: true,
“customize”: {
“active”: false,
“folder”: “mosquitto”
},
“certfile”: “fullchain.pem”,
“keyfile”: “privkey.pem”
}

Totally borked. Restored from a pre-.80 snapshot and called it quits.

I have MQTT up and running, but it doesn’t seem to recognise MQTT Sensors.
I have this in my config, but it no longer shows up as a sensor, even though I can see the mqtt messages coming in.

sensor:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: Bridge state
    state_topic: 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/state'
    icon: mdi:router-wireless

Anyone else seeing this?

Glad to see I’m not the only one. I updated to .81.6 and the mqtt add-on, and it completely murdered my hassio install.

3 hours and I ended up rolling back to .81.2 with a recent snapshot. All good now, but definitely the worst experience I’ve had doing an upgrade so far. I’m sticking with what I have until this is hashed out and explained better(where was the warning?!?!?!)

2 Likes

Well after messing with this all day and basically losing most of my current settings (always make sure to transfer your snapshots before update, you never know when your SD card will blow up from restarts) I ended up rolling back to an old version of the mosquitto add-on and everything is fine running on 81.6 and 139. So the mosquitto add-on is definitely the biggest issue.

f**k man, why do devlopers constantly brake things. We’re using this service in production here at my home. So i’m using homeassitant as a user for all my mqtt devices (and its hardcoded in my sensors) and now what? Do I have to change every. single. of my sensors because of a not well though idea of a developer?

mqtt is not working anymore. I can’t even connect using mqtt-spy. And now I have to go to work, leaving my hass unstable. Thanks!

1 Like

how is it hardcoded?

devs don’t set out to deliberately break things… i think sometimes they didn’t think through the architecture originally and correct stuff as they go…