Mosquito MQTT update v3 broke my hassio

I’m not sure I understand?

I did not replace the homeassistant user. I added a new user for mqtt. This has nothing to do with my cellphone. It uses Owntracks HTTP and iOS app.

I was playin around. A bit ago I set up owntracks on our phones and followed the manual by using homeassistant for a login on the phones. known_devices.yaml picked the phones up as homeassistant_richard and homeassistant_sandy for the device id’s. Changing today to a different login to avoid conflicts changed the known_devices name.

I am getting an error that I haven’t seen anyone talk about here when I run mosquitto_pub on the linux cli:

root@pi3:~# mosquitto_pub -h 192.168.1.8 -i pi3 -u hassio -P hassio -t “test” -m “test”

1541471412: New connection from 192.168.0.5 on port 1883.
[INFO] found hassio on local database
1541471413: New client connected from 192.168.0.5 as pi3 (c1, k60, u’hassio’).
1541471413: ACL denying access to client with dangerous client id “mosqsub/619-pi3”
1541471413: Client pi3 disconnected.
I have read up on the ACLs but that doesn’t seem to do it?

my v3 config:

{
“logins”: [
{
“username”: “hassio”,
“password”: “hassio”
}
],
“anonymous”: true,
“customize”: {
“active”: false,
“folder”: “mosquitto”
},
“certfile”: “fullchain.pem”,
“keyfile”: “privkey.pem”
}

Totally borked. Restored from a pre-.80 snapshot and called it quits.

I have MQTT up and running, but it doesn’t seem to recognise MQTT Sensors.
I have this in my config, but it no longer shows up as a sensor, even though I can see the mqtt messages coming in.

sensor:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: Bridge state
    state_topic: 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/state'
    icon: mdi:router-wireless

Anyone else seeing this?

Glad to see I’m not the only one. I updated to .81.6 and the mqtt add-on, and it completely murdered my hassio install.

3 hours and I ended up rolling back to .81.2 with a recent snapshot. All good now, but definitely the worst experience I’ve had doing an upgrade so far. I’m sticking with what I have until this is hashed out and explained better(where was the warning?!?!?!)

2 Likes

Well after messing with this all day and basically losing most of my current settings (always make sure to transfer your snapshots before update, you never know when your SD card will blow up from restarts) I ended up rolling back to an old version of the mosquitto add-on and everything is fine running on 81.6 and 139. So the mosquitto add-on is definitely the biggest issue.

f**k man, why do devlopers constantly brake things. We’re using this service in production here at my home. So i’m using homeassitant as a user for all my mqtt devices (and its hardcoded in my sensors) and now what? Do I have to change every. single. of my sensors because of a not well though idea of a developer?

mqtt is not working anymore. I can’t even connect using mqtt-spy. And now I have to go to work, leaving my hass unstable. Thanks!

1 Like

how is it hardcoded?

devs don’t set out to deliberately break things… i think sometimes they didn’t think through the architecture originally and correct stuff as they go…

my 8266 sensors spread all over the house have hard coded homeassistant/a-password for mqtt. Because back than, homeassistant was the only user available for mqtt. Now i’m screwed.

1 Like

you can try the community addon…

so are you saying you would have to reflash them?

yes, i have to reflash every single of them. unmount them, and so on.

so no web config?

nope. they were running without issues.

Correct. I also have an 8266 and all the details such as username/password, MQTT topic and WiFi details are added to the code before flashing.

Mosquitto in theory allows multiple usernames in the config. Anyone know if I can just add a second username to allow Hassio to talk to it or do I have to purge all traces of the homeassistant user?

so these don’t have Tasmota on them?

"logins": [
{
  "username": "homeassistant",
  "password": "an other password"
},
{
  "username": "snips",
  "password": "some password"
}

],

thats how you do it, @DoctorOctagonapus

And will that definitely work or is the fact that there is a homeassistant user break it?

No i don’t use tasmota. It wasn’t there at the time and my sensors are configured in a way, that it wouldn’t run on tasmota.

1 Like

don’t know. for me it worked until the update came out. now neither mqtt v2 nor mqtt v3 are running anymore and I can’t even access them using mqtt-spy. it’s messed up.