Mosquito MQTT update v3 broke my hassio

Argh, I feel for you. I’ve recently gone though and updated my 8266 systems to Tasmota, and that was a pain.

1 Like

What’s the advantage of Tasmota over the KmanSonoff that I currently have?

well you could change the username/password from a web GUI so you wouldn’t need to reflash now…

I know that’s not helping. I feel your pain.

I wouldn’t have to if someone didn’t breake the running system. Without warning, without a way to disable that hass integration (i don’t need).

1 Like

so can you use a different broker? like the community addon?

I was able to revert by uninstalling mosquitto addon and then restore it from a snapshot.
Just restore without uninstall did not fix it.
A HA restart was also necessary after restore v2.

2 Likes

thanks. now at least my mqtt is running again!

1 Like

I was getting inconsistent results on MQTT sensors, so I removed the UID and Pwd from the config file, and added the user through the Users tab in Configuration. After restarting everything (hassio, MQTT), they all appeared.

Tried to update to v3 again but something seems to be really fishy there. As soon as I update mosquitto I get socket errors for my ESP8266 devices.
I had set anonymous : false from the beginning of my MQTT journey and used a non homeassistant user plus discovery enabled.

According to the system log, auth should work:

• INFO (SyncWorker_3) [hassio.docker.addon] Start Docker add-on homeassistant/armhf-addon-mosquitto with version 3
  • INFO (MainThread) [hassio.services.mqtt] Set core_mosquitto as service provider for mqtt
  • INFO (MainThread) [hassio.discovery] Send discovery to Home Assistant mqtt from core_mosquitto
  • INFO (MainThread) [hassio.discovery] Discovery 6c8b596baef94dbfb8d7b10f71f1a5c1 message send
  • INFO (MainThread) [hassio.auth] Auth request from core_mosquitto for mqttuser
  • INFO (MainThread) [hassio.auth] Success login from mqttuser
  • and so on

Right now I’m running mosquitto v2 without mqtt: in configuration.yaml but manual integration of core-mosquitto. In addition I have the mqttuser setup in the auth system.

So I’d expect v3 to work upon update though but it does not.
I can’t figure out why things go wrong so I’m left behind with v2 as of now waiting for it to become incompatible with HA one day… :confused:

I was able to get it right again with mqttv2. Still have the old mqtt: setting within configuration.yaml. I removed mqtt add-on and resorted it from a snapshot. It’s running.
But to avoid future hassle, I’ll go to the independent community mqtt add-on.
Thanks for the hints!

One thing that helped for me, hassio and mqtt seem to run separately, so restarting hassio does not restart mqtt and vice versa - you need to restart them both or reboot the whole pi for things to mesh.

I’m now at the point of starting from scratch.

Will a new hassio install to a new SD card resolve this or is this débâcle equally applicable to new users who today, find Home Assistant for the first time?

Strangely/luckily I didn’t experience all the problem listed in this thread (supervisor 138, HASSIO/NUC 0.81.6 mosquitto v3)

A note for this thread: my configuration has no username no password in my mosquitto configuration, maybe that saved my installation

Also issue here:

1541490558: ACL denying access to client with dangerous client id “hallway/light/0002/lightswitch”

How can we build a reliable system if SHIT like this happens!! :frowning:

My entire house is almost down!!

4 Likes

I feel you… same here…

I’ll try after work. now I’ll try the hardest thing: focus on work and not about my home that is almost disabled because of the buggy mqtt…

You do NOT want 'mqtt:` in configuration.yaml if you are going to use the integration one-click feature.

Well my learning is - again: never change a running system. :frowning:

2 Likes

(Without backing up first!) I’ve done it time and time again and always think, ‘I won’t bother, it’ll be fine!’