Motion sensor recommendation

It is working, please put quotes around start and end times :slight_smile: See my comment. Thanks for providing all relevant logs and configuration entries in your issue.

This gives error as well

start_time: '00:00:00'
end_time: sunrise

please update to latest version and post your logs to Github issue.

I also had issues with the “crazy” Fibaro motion sensors which would constantly switch between on/off. Here’s how I solved it: a) remove the node - b) factory reset the fibaro multisensor - c) add the fibaro node to the z-wave network

If there’s still issues, you’ll have to reduce the sensitivity of the motion sensor.

In my case, this was the only procedure that helped, and my devices still work flawlessly since I did the reset many weeks ago.

Done, still error, posted in github

In many of my motion /light automatuon that I am currently using, I use the entity_id of the automation itself on the front end to turn automation on/off (when you have guests better turn off some automation).
How would you suggest with your component to do?

Ideally what should NOT work is the part of turning the light from on to off (keeping the part from off to on).

So maybe from front end possibility to increase the duration (also to infinite) ?

thanks for this development! I was looking exactly for such a thing!
Plus : I have read your blog on home automation and I must say I totally agree on your view :wink:

1 Like

You are too kind. Its easy to forget the occasional person actually reads my blog haha :slight_smile:

Please read the documentation. It’s all in there. Look for overrides

If I understand well with overrides with an input_boolean you block the action totally. Ideally need to block only the light to go from on to off

Yes, the entity will not turn on any lights while overrides are ‘on’.

Yes this is what I ended up doing also. I now have all 4 of them in okay-mode, although I had a single false trigger yesterday, not sure where it came from.

I haven’t changed sensitivity, however I set number of pulses from 2 to 1. I still find them to react rather slowly, and my lights turn on with a 1-3s delay. When going from room to room, this leaves you with the light turning on when you already left the room, so I am looking for another solution and get rid of the fibaros.

I already ordered myself a sonoff bridge, sensors and stuff, however it takes some weeks as it ships from china. Its rather cheap hardware, so it won’t be severe when it will not be any better thant the fibaros.

I’ve had the sonoff rf bridge and a bunch of cheap door/window sensors from banggood. The response time for the motion sensors are great, although I’m using Node Red to receive and filter out the mqtt messages, and then send mqtt messages to my switches or lights, depending on the room. Since moving to Node Red, I rarely have a light turn on late, even if in in a hurry (going through my kitchen, I get about 2 steps in and the light comes on), but with HA automation, sometimes it would take 5 seconds or more.

One thing to note, I also have a few “RF switch/button” units, most with the 3 buttons, and I have a button in each room that will disable the “motion lights” for that room. This was by request from the wife for if she just doesn’t want the lights to come on. Basically an input boolean for each motion sensor that essentially stops it from auto turning the lights on (or off in some of our cases).

Just figured I’d share my experience with this, as I currently have 6 motion sensors, 12 window/door sensors, and 8 of the RF button panels and the sonoff rf bridge works great with them all.

Everything I have in the ways of RF came from banggood. I had a few bad sensors come in and they replaced them, so I recommend them. I went with a variety of them and they all seem to just work.

Thanks for your feedback. Already have the bridge here, but the sensors are still on their way from china.

What kind of bridge do you have that it supports so many devices? I ordered the “regular” RF bridge (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0792GK1SV/ref=pe_3044161_189395811_TE_SCE_dp_1) and as far as I understand it only supports 16 devices.

Ok I’d like to share my latest experience with the variety of motion sensors I have tried so far.

Fibaro FGMS-001 4 in 1 Sensor (Z-Wave)

pro has sensor for movement, temperature and light (and tampering, if that matters)
pro LED can be disabled
pro has lots of settings regarding sensitivity and data transfers which can be set via Z-wave
pro blind time can be set to a really short interval. I have set 2 of mine to as low as 2 seconds, which in almost any situation makes them trigger when they should trigger

con sometimes I get false positives and I fail to track down the issue
con 2 out of 4 sensors go crazy after some days/weeks (e.g. the repeatedly report motion although there is none). I’ve sent them back to the shop waiting for replacement/repair
con expensive (44€)
con even after

TOOGOO® PIR 433MHz sensor via Sonoff bridge

pro really cheap (6€)
pro virtually no setup whatsoever (just sends and events come in via MQTT)
con fails to reliably detect motion
con detection comes with a delay of 2-4s which renders it completely useless (I’ll have the room crossed within 4s and thus I’ll be left in the dark)
con it was shipped from china, took a month to arrive, and I cannot send it back (normally in germany you can send back stuff within 2 weeks without reason and get your money back)

Sonoff PIR2 PIR Sensor 433Mhz via Sonoff bridge

Essentially the same as the before mentioned sensor (-> useless)
Also shipped from china.

Philips Hue motion sensor (Zigbee)

pro small and handy
pro detects motion pretty fast, basically instant (wow!)
pro detects motion, temperature and light

neutral price okay (35€)
neutral blind time is 10s, and there seems to be no way of changing it

OSRAM Smart+ ZigBee motion sensor

pro even smaller than the philips one
pro detects motion and temperature

neutral detection time is mediocre (1-2s)
neutral price okay (33€)

con LED doesnt seem to have an option to turn off
con blind time is a hefty 35 seconds (!), which renders it useless for me

Conclusion

I am torn between the fibaro and the philips sensor. I’m really impressed by the low latency of the philips one, while I love that fibaro can have a really low blind time. When putting sensors in every room and attach lights to it, a higher blind time leads to your lights remaining off when you go back and forth between rooms.
This might be my special situation, because I turn lights off once motion is detected elsewhere (and not when motion is no longer detected, which will most of the time turn off in wrong situations, because sensors rarely cover my entire rooms).
Thus, low blind time is crucial for me, same as quick detection. I will definitely keep the philips one for my hallway, because there, actually, I turn lights off after a delay of 60s or something, so blind time is not an issue.

Need help

I have not yet tried any of the various other sensors like Xiaomi, Aeotec etc, but it would be nice, if other people would add to this thread their experience with other products.
Relevant details would be:

• detection time/latency
  • blind time (time until sensor can detect motion again)
  • LED can be disabled?
  • price
  • bugs/flaws/issues?
  • technology/setup (Z-Wave, Zigbee, Wifi, …)

I am also using Sonoff Bridge 433Mhz and bunch of cheap door and PIR sensors which work surprisingly well. Still the best response time for PIR is custom Wemos D1 + attached PIR module which has super fast detection time.

This PIR uses 2xAAA batteries and it’s also quite small, for faster detection had to switch from battery saving mode to normal mode, it’s also possible to disable flashing led.

Door sensors with open/close codes:

1 Like

Had the same experience recently were my sensor stopped sensing motion even though the battery was still reporting to 100%. Replaced the batteries and it works again.

Just wanted to drop a piece of advice in here regarding the Fibaro Motion Sensors - by default they do take 1-2 seconds to detect motion, but you can change that by making them more sensitive.Parameter 1 is sensitivity, and parameter 3 is pulses. By default, it needs 2 ‘pulses’ to trigger an event. You can drop this down to 1, which for me made things MUCH better. Of course, by increasing the sensitivity you might end up making it ‘false’ trigger more. But play with the settings util you get a balance that’s right for you.

While working with first RPi3 and now 8266 configured with PIR sensors, I’ve been rather frustrated. The device I can say works EXTREMELY well for occupancy is the Ecobee room sensor. Granted, they’re locked into the Ecobee thermostats which incurs a greater expense. But the devices themselves are VERY accurate at detecting both temperature and occupancy. Home Assistant just plain works with these using the Ecobee API to communicate with the thermostat.

1 Like

How do you change the sensitivity?