Motorized Shade Suggestions

I’m pretty sure we will be buying Leviosa shades since they have Home Assistant support. Will order a sample shortly. Thanks @Leviosa!

I am impressed with communication by Leviosa, It’s nice to see a rep actually using the home assistant forums.

I just ordered my samples from them as well, home assistant integration is a must for me… It’s nice to see companies understand that!

Hopefully the quality of Leviosa’s products is better than that of their spelling:

1 Like

What spelling issue?

There should be no comma in FAQs. Forgivable in general but not on a professional website

1 Like

Fair comment, since it is not a spelling error but a punctuation error. :wink: “FAQ’s” should be “FAQs”. An apostrophe is not a universal plural indicator. Tiny issue I know, but one which should have been caught by even the most basic spelling and grammar check. Just doesn’t inspire confidence.

The page styling in which the headers are all uppercase makes the situation more difficult, such that “FAQ’S” is much better than “FAQS”.

Add to that the difference in guidance across style guides:

Orthography - Plurals of acronyms, letters, numbers — use an apostrophe or not? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

Probably the easiest solution is to avoid the “S” altogether, and go with the idea that FAQ means “Frequently Asked Questions”. Pretty sure that that’s much more common than the ol’ “Frequently Asked Question” page. :grinning:

Is it just me or anyone else also think that the Leviosa shades are quite expensive. I tried selecting a few different options and saw a price of above $400 for just one blind?!!

2 Likes

I’ve never found good motorized shades for much less than that. You can absolutely spend a lot more too.

I’m curious - What does Leviosa do better than, say, IKEA’s? Speed of the motor? Reliability? Choices of patterns / fabrics? Integration to HA?

Before other users would chime in, maybe Tony (@Leviosa) could help elaborate?

2 Likes

Would rather discuss motorized shades questions, but anyway, our webmaster fixed the nagging FAQ issue. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Disclosure - I work for Leviosa Motor Shades, and am sharing this info from Ikea’s website for ‘Electric Blinds’, which, of course, can change anytime after this posting.

We could not see more than 1 fabric color to choose (gray) , in a few specific sizes, the largest being 48"W x 77"H. Leviosa offers 300+ fabrics, custom made exactly to your unique window measurements, and up to 192+ inches wide and high. Ikea’s rechargeable pack is likely fine for their small shades, but these packs naturally self-discharge, and Ikea FAQ state they will require recharging every 4-6 months whether the shades are operated or not. Unclear how long to charge each pack (hours?). Leviosa Motor Shades can be powered with batteries, plug-in wall adapter, or hardwired. Using batteries, Leviosa shades accommodate large D-cell size alkaline batteries that last for 3 years – much longer (7X) than other systems using AA or rechargeable batteries. The batteries are inexpensive, and available at most general stores. They hide behind the valance (no messy wires) and are easily accessible. We also did not see any valance offerings from Ikea - Leviosa offers valances in different sizes that are wrapped with matching fabric.
Net - Ikea offers a few value shade options for small windows. Leviosa offers custom shades with many fabric options for small and large windows. Both offer 5 year warranty.

1 Like

Hi @Leviosa

I am trying to setup the Leviosa Zone device in Home Assistant using your custom component. I have already setup the house & zone via the LS app in IOS so it is on my wifi network.

I manually copied the custom component into Home Assistant and rebooted.

When I tried adding the Leviosa integration, I received an error message saying “No unconfigured Leviosa Zone HUBs found”.

I would expect the hub to be configured to at least be on the wifi with a home/zone setup prior to adding it to home assistant.

Any ideas or is there a newer beta of the home assistant driver available?

Thanks,
T.

Did you end up getting the Leviosa’s? I am trying to get the HA integration setup, but not having luck and wondered if you have already

I realize this thread is nearly 2 years old, but I’m searching for affordable motorized blinds and came across your post. You said your blinds were affordable, but, nearly $500 a window is stupidly overpriced. Before getting to the Leviosa website, I was excited seeing a manufacture pressence in the Home Assistant forums, but you’re insane if you think $500 a window is affordable, especially when you can get them for under $200.

The novelty is the only reason they’re still priced the way they are. It’s not because they cost more to manufacture. You’re replacing a $2 piece of plastic with $10 worth of electronics (and that’s if you use a high quality parts). I wish manufacturers would stop being greedy, and just make a quality product and be happy with a reasonable profit. There is no reason for a 2000% profit on window treatments.

1 Like

Totally understand if Leviosa rather handle issues via their own tech support and not here in this humble HA forum.

That said, just as a quick follow up, @MwC-Trexx / @ryans - What was your experience with the blinds so far? Is the integration working fine these days? How many different states would the integration support? Is it in %? Or open / close / opening / closing? Are the controls / connections reliable?

1 Like

Where can you get them for under $200?

1 Like

I have the 3 blinds up and running in Leviosa/HA (and one more that should arrive today hopefully). While there were some bumps along the way, everything is now working fine.

I would classify the issues I encountered into 2 different categories.

• Hub Related (Leviosa Hub)
  • Documentation Related (lack of and poor nomenclature)

Hub Related
I ran into a couple issues related to Hub.

The first issue was getting it to connect to my IOT vlan on my network. The hub is based on the ESPHome chip platform. I initially ran into issues getting to connect to the WiFi network, which I resolved by disabling both pi-hole and cellular connection on my iPhone. Once I got the Hub on the network I paired the blinds to the hub.

The second more painful issue was related to getting the HA integration to discover the Hub. The integration doesn’t support manually setting up the hub IP address, it only can be discovered automatically. The discovery process is based on using SSDP for discovery. It turns out Ubiquiti has issues with passing SSDP properly between vLANs. My HA Blue device is on my main vLAN, but the hub is on IOT vLAN. I ended up having to run an SSDP helper container on my UDM-Pro box which solved the SSDP discovery issue.

Documentation Issues
There is no documentation that outlined the SSDP issue above at all. In fact I had to go GitHub code hunting for the Integration to determine that SSDP was the mechanism they were using for discovery. There is also no mechanism in the Leviosa iOS app to change the WiFi network/configuration. You have to reset the hub, which clears WiFi configuration as well as any blind pairings.

Another issue relates to the Integration config flow & Leviosa’s naming standard.
Once HA finds the device, there are 2 sets of values you need to provide.

• Zone Hub = What you want to name the Leviosa HUB within HA (Dining Room).
  • Group # Name = the individual shades that you have paired to the Hub.
    ** You will need to make sure that you keep the order of the blinds consistent with how you added them in the Leviosa App. (i.e. blind 1 = Left blind, 2 = right, 3 = middle) you will need to label them as group 1 name = left blind, etc. **

There is no option on the integration to modify the configuration if you get the blinds out of order. You have to delete and re-create.

The integration will so create an “all blinds” entity that will affect all blinds tied to that specific hub.

As for operation, you have the standard up/down/stop options. I haven’t tried seeing if I could lower them or raise them to a specific % as for my use case wasn’t really required.

Overall they have worked well in actual HA usage (once I worked through all the hurdles). Hopefully this will help others who have them get them setup in an easier fashion.

2 Likes

I’m guessing he meant the IKEA ones, which go from $129 to $179 depends on the size:
Electric Blinds - Motorized Shades - IKEA

1 Like

Oh wow! Thanks a ton for sharing!! This would be very helpful for the discussion here.

= = = = =

Subsequent (and minor) questions: Is the “all blinds” entity the only thing one would get (and control) via the integration? Could you help share maybe a snippet of what the attributes are, under the Developer Tools > States > All Blinds?