Mount remote smb share on hassio

Thank you for the upvote! <3

But now with the script it is much easier.
And as from what i can see,that on one partition the fstab stayes and is not overwriten.
So i can maybe change the script to check if exists already and just inject to another partition.Will see next update.

Please vote for my feature request:

2 Likes

Why to seperate feature request? it would not make any sence, just vote on my FR will post link
I have 42

Well I didnā€™t find a FR when I searched

1 Like

pls if you can delete D: it would be awesome D:

Anyone have issue/feature request where the devs have said if/when this will be worked on ?

Iā€™ve found this interesting part in the blog post of the release of hasOS6

OS AGENT
Operating System release 6 comes with a new, Go written daemon called OS Agent. This allows the Supervisor to access more aspects of the OS. One such aspect is to move the data to an external data disk or wipe data to start over without reinstalling. Note however that at this point, the required logic in the Supervisor and Frontend is still being developed.

So I guess they are aware of the issue and might already be working on it ? Iā€™ve read a bit about buildroot which they seems to use. Thereā€™s plenty of way they could allow us to do the configuration at the OS level, itā€™s not ā€œthatā€ complicated, they are probably looking to deliver a full feature with WebUI support and everythingā€¦ The Buildroot user manual

I donā€™t have any experience with Buildrootā€¦ Iā€™m trying to find if thereā€™s trace of something we could use to run a mount that doesnā€™t require to rebuild the squasfsā€¦ operating-system/buildroot-external/scripts at dev Ā· home-assistant/operating-system Ā· GitHub

The thing is when you have HA OS and you change the script after update the script is gone.
I have been that road with buildroot-external . The only thing that its possble there is a ticket on github reguarding fuseos but there are no developers on it. We need to wait for looooong time :>

The one thing that they could have done is to remove cleaning script to not delete the fstab. But they cant, i have a discussion on github with them

1 Like

Thx for the info, could you share the issue with us ? Iā€™ll follow it at least to see if something move one day :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Cheers :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you very much. The ā€™ ā€™ around the shell_command did the trick for me :-). This is missing in a lot of other threads!

1 Like

I would not call it ā€œmissingā€ that quickly. For sure on for example my install it works fine without the ā€™ '.
So Iā€™m sure, that the threads where it is written that way it is, because it just works that way for many people tooā€¦

1 Like

Seems I found a workaround: you can make a symbol link from /mnt/music to /media and use /media for media_dirs.
This way configuration wonā€™t be broken even if /mnt/media folder doesnā€™t exists at the moment of HA start:

shell_command:
    mount_nas_music_folder: mkdir -p /mnt/music; ln -s /mnt/music /media/;mount ...

Iā€™ve tried dozens of different variations in Terminal but I consistently get a ā€œPermission Deniedā€ error. Iā€™m running HA in a VM on my QNAP NAS. Does anyone have instructions for the code that will mount a NAS directory just manually using Terminal? I should be able to figure to figure out the Automation from there but I would like to successfully mount a directory manually to validate that I have it right

Seems it is not possible in the terminal because it runs in a separate container with restricted permissions.
Moreover, you wonā€™t see the directory mounted in the terminal even when it work: the /mnt folder in terminal and HA are different folders.

Just put the configuration into you configuration.yaml:

homeassistant:
  media_dirs:
    media: /media

shell_command:
    mount_media: 'mkdir -p /mnt/media;ln -s /mnt/media /media/;mount -t cifs -o username=.....'

And then run it from /developer-tools/service as shell_command.mount_media.
It should be visible under /media-browser.

Itā€™s a little bit strange, I still got an error:

Logger: homeassistant.components.shell_command
Source: /usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/shell_command/__init__.py:115
Integration: Shell Command ([documentation](https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/shell_command), [issues](https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22integration%3A+shell_command%22))
First occurred: 1:44:05 PM (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 1:44:06 PM

Error running command: `mkdir -p /mnt/nas-media;ln -s /mnt/nas-media /media/;mount -t nfs4 nas.lan:/Multimedia/Music /media/nas-media`, return code: 255

NoneType: None

And this is my command:

shell_command:
  mount_nas_music_folder: mkdir -p /mnt/nas-media;ln -s /mnt/nas-media /media/;mount -t nfs4 nas.lan:/Multimedia/Music /media/nas-media

The shell_command didnā€™t give a clear log of stdout or stderr, which make it pretty hard to debug the command, sad storyā€¦

This is what worked for me. I am running an Ubuntu host server with HA as a KVM VM. I already had a Samba share setup for media. I also had nfs-kernel-server already installed on the host server. When trying to mount the cifs share in HA I was getting an error because the password contained a ) symbol in it. Iā€™m now wondering if the posts recommending using ā€™ ā€™ around the mount commands would have resolved that issue. But I have not tested that. I switched to trying to mount it as an NFS share.

NOTE IP Addresses and folder paths have been changed where necessary for security reasons.

To get past the permission denied error for NFS mount command in HA, 1st in HA terminal run the mount command using the -vvvv option to see verbose messages. The network IP address of my HA server is 192.168.1.12. However, the verbose message showed that HA VM was communicating with host server using a client IP address of 172.30.32.2. Next on the server that Iā€™m exporting (sharing) the media folder from, run command:

ls -l /path/to/shared/folder

(using your path) to see user and group of folder owner. Then run the command:

id username

where username was determined from previous ls command. The output of the id command will give you the user id and group id corresponding to the output of the ls command. Then edit the /etc/exports file (as root or sudo) on the server containing the shared media folder adding a line like the one below, adjusted for your environment:

/local/folder/media 192.168.1.12(rw,no_subtree_check,all_squash,anonuid=1001,anonguid=141) 172.30.32.2(rw,no_subtree_check,all_squash,anonuid=1001,anonguid=141)

where:
/local/folder/media is the folder you are sharing
I added both HA network IP Address and the client IP Address used to communicate with host to be safe.
anonuid = the user ID for the folder owner, and anonguid = the group id for folder.
make sure there is not a space between the IP Address and the (.
Save the file then restart nfs service with command:

sudo systemctl restart nfs-kernel-server

Occasionally the service failed to restart for me. I double check the exports file but didnā€™t see anything wrong. The NFS service restarted on the 2nd try.

In configuration.yaml I have:

homeassistant:
  media_dirs:
    media: "/media"
shell_command:
  make_music_folder: mkdir -p /media/music
  mount_music_nfs_folder: mount -t nfs4 -o rw 192.168.1.10:/local/folder/media /media/music

I used the media folder since it already existed in HA and I wouldnā€™t have to worry about recreating it after upgrading HA.

After rebooting HA host I was able to go to Developer Tools ā†’ Services and run both shell commands. I can now go to the Media tab and browse through all of the folders and files in the mounted share. My next step is to create an automation based on previous posts to run the shell commands upon HA startup.

1 Like

Can somebody please make some small steps to link a windows folder.
I think that we tried all of the above, but just cant get it mount.
We use VirtualBox with homeassistant VDI.

Windows 10 Host?

Here is how I did it.