Mounting external hard drive for movies/media in hass.io

Hello!

I’ve been running OMV on my Raspberry Pi until fairly recently. A botched update caused a bunch of broken packages and rather than try to spend the time to fix them it was easier to just start over with a new distro. I chose hass.io since it seemed simple to configure, hard to mess up, and Home Assistant was the backbone of my server anyway.

My main problem is that I was storing everything on an external 2 TB hard drive connected to my Pi. Home Assistant config, movies, TV shows, everything. The SD card in my Pi is tiny (16 GB). I’ve seen posts where people want to boot hass.io directly from the HDD, but I want to keep hass.io on my SD card and mount my HDD as a sort of “data” drive, for fetching the config and whatnot. That way, if everything goes tits up, I don’t lose any data (barring an HDD failure).

So I go into the hardware settings for hass.io… and the drive’s not there. Just the SD card partitions, from /dev/mmcblk0 to /dev/mmcblk0p8. No /dev/sda.

I SSH in on port 22 and get the same result with df. It’s only when I SSH in to port 22222 and enter the host OS that I can use lsblk and see my drive on /dev/sda1, unmounted. fstab says it’s not configured on purpose, so I can’t use fstab to mount. The root partition is all read-only anyway – I’d force it to be read-write, but perhaps there’s a good reason for it.

Is there a good way to make /dev/sda1 accessible to hass.io in a way that Plex and such can mount it and read movies from it? Everywhere I’ve looked for info has been fairly outdated or not what I’m looking for.

3 Likes

Hi @Jay2645 any update on your query? I am looking to do the same as I have plenty usb drives and not keen on investin on another NAS after the failure of the last one.

S

I don’t think hassos allows that. If you want to do that, you need to install a generic distrubution and install hassio (now called home assistant supervised) this way :

if you haven’t solved your issue yet. I am in the same boat and would like to use a USB-HDD as storage for data and media which again will be shared via some sort of media server (some DLNA thingy + nextcloud).

On my research I came across this: https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/blob/f4f6908c80ac19128aa0a1de0377e0954c5902ee/Documentation/partition.md#data
Haven’t tested it myself yet, but seems to work fine according to other comments.

hi @da-anda - would this addon do what you need? This mounts an external drive and makes it available via Samba - [New Addon] Samba NAS. (Mount external disk and share it )

I use it as a basic NAS - I.e. storing my music and movies on my HA Pi set-up so it’s available around the house.

thanks for the link. It might be a workaround, yes. My main goal was to run Nextcloud (working on an add-on for it) along with Gerbera (DLNA media server) and use the “share” HA docker mount/volume in both to read the data from so that monitoring for file changes is performing a bit better. But using a SMB mount might also work if I manage to get a smb client into both add-ons.

My initial goal was to simply replace the “share” (or the new “media” mount in 0.115) with a OS level mount to the USB hdd, but this might be a bit too tricky.

1 Like

Since a couple of days I run hassos on Proxmox on my new NUC. I’d like to use my NUC also for nextcloud(pi). Right now I’m in doubt: keeping the proxmox setup and adding another VM for nextcloud or just install hassos on the ‘bare metal’ and install nextcloud in hassos using docker /portainer. I’d like to have my data on a second harddisk. But I’m confused. It seems like hassos doesn’t allow me to mount the second disk.
So probably not being able to use a second disk in hassos is going to be the showstopper here.

Ofcourse one can go for a generic linux install, but since the post about the future support of this installation method, I decided to use a ‘standard’ install.

If you make any progress, da-anda, please keep us informed!

@svenjac you can always use https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/blob/39babd53685d352c3f4a6d7d8fabe43e27ccc88d/Documentation/partition.md#data to move HA and NextCloud data to the external HDD. This is what I was probably going for, since it also moves the DB, logs, snapshots to the external HDD instead of the SD card. That’s not exactly what I had in mind at first, but on second thought might not be the worst idea either.