Mouse on wheel

I feel like the mouse on the continuous wheel now.
on a dedicated core5 intel pc I loaded,
ubuntu.
Docker.
Home assistant.
Eclipse mqtt.
All running in their containers sucessfully (or so I thought)
I configured some esp sensors using mqtt protocol all working in lovelace etc.
Thought I would add a couple of addons to home assistant,

however it wont allow me to

Failed to install add-on
*Addon Manager.install blocked from execution, system is not healthy

Home Assistant Supervisor

MANAGE

Host Operating System Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
Update Channel stable
Supervisor Version supervisor-2021.06.8
Docker Version 20.10.6
Disk Total 57.9 GB
Disk Used 10.1 GB
Healthy Unhealthy – more info
Supported Unsupported – more info
Supervisor API ok
Version API ok
Installed Add-ons

The documentation seems to say that I cant install add ons as
homeassistant supervisor is not supported (on ubuntu)

Is this the case? Do I have to start all over again and use debian?

Any help would be really appreciated eg a link to an installation that works.
Thanks in advance (mouse on wheel)

You can’t install Add-ons on an Unhealthy system.

Click the “more info” link next to “Unhealthy” and it will explain why it is unhealthy. If you are able to correct the problem then it will change the status to “Healthy” (and then you can install Add-ons).

You won’t be able to change it to “Supported” unless you re-install the entire system on Debian (because only Debian is officially supported for Home Assistant Supervised).

I can’t explain why, as I never did dive into it, but when I ran HA on Ubuntu in Docker, I always got the unhealthy status after some days of running. A machine restart (not only HA, but the whole server) was enough to let it disappear again for some days. So, when I wanted to install something, I just started with a restart of the server.

Moving HA to Debian, all installations the same, I never had this again…

thanks for the reply and confirming Im not the only hamster with frustration.
I just wish the documentation told me of this problem that Supervisor isnt supported on ubuntu before I installed and debugged this flakey product.
Now I will have to start all over again. The documentation (or lack of accurate documentation) really sucks with this software. Too many flavours/type of installation and no real support except for forum members helping out. I would be happy to pay for official support instead of spending weeks getting things sorted, then fail.
I have home assistant displaying my sesors and lovelace configured. I go to install an addon & it cant be done. Really frustrating

1 Like

thanks for the reply. But what will change next week that nobbles it on debian?

Well, migration from Ubuntu to Debian was a piece of cake actually.

1. Make full snapshot from HA.
  2. Install Debian instead of Ubuntu.
  3. Start installation of HA, on some point, when prompted, restore snapshot.
  4. Done.

Yes, i had to learn the hard way too :- :upside_down_face:

Also, Debian is officially supported. Ubuntu isn’t, even though it’s based/related to Debian. Better to move if you can.

I understand your frustration but you’re more than a bit unfair:

1. Requirements: Did you actually read them? (see the “no derivatives” part.
Supported Operating System, System dependencies and versions
Docker CE (Community Edition) is the only supported containerization method for Home Assistant Supervised. We only support FHS 3.0 on the host file system.

Docker CE >= 19.03
Systemd >= 239
NetworkManager >= 1.14.6
AppArmor == 2.13.x (built into the kernel)
Debian Linux Debian 10 aka Buster (no derivatives)
  1. Unhealthy-ness

Taras asked you to click on the link telling you why your system is unhealthy.
Did you do that? You didn’t report back on that

1. Too many install methods?

I agree with you on that one. The supervised one should go.
It’s meant for people not having the knowledge to install / manage the infrastructure above and beyond HA itself , including “addons” (MQTT, nginx, …)
Those should use HassOS, point.

IMHO, if you can properly manage a supervised installation, that actually means you don’t need it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

On the other hand, others will complain it’s too inflexible, especially since this is a hobbyist project (I personally want the maximum control). I think OP should keep that last point in mind.

Definitely, but then, if you are knowledgeable enough, you’d use the venv or “plain” container setup, like I do, I suppose.
Supervised is kind of “middle of the road”, imho.

I do too — but it’s becoming too far off-topic now.

And here starts the problem: A lot of users are seemingly completely overestimating their knowledge to work from the command line but are hopping from some GUI-OS’es straight into install methods which require to be familiar with the CLI. And soon after the ranting starts …

1 Like

What an arrogant POV. I don’t NEED supervised but I like it and I choose to use it. I like the HA addons. I like Ingress. I like to run other containers apart from HA, I like Supervised managing the whole HA environment. Why should I be forced to find myriad docker containers to do things I can do with addons. Good grief there was blood in the streets when they did try to remove the supervised install and the devs relented to support supervised with Debian.

3 Likes

Cool down :slight_smile: Saw the “imho”?

And what you say actual goes my way: you don’t NEED supervised.
You just like it for your own reasons.

Addons ARE containers, as you know :slight_smile:

I do see one behavior here always comming back. Screaming around, that HA is only for people, who have deep knowledge of command line things and so on.
However it is ment, it comes over as: HA is for nerds only, stay away, if you are not a nerd!

Well, where exactly this is stated on the homepage of Home Assistant?

I only see this:

Awaken your home

Open source home automation that puts local control and privacy first.