MQTT Addon: "Data in your config entry is going to override your configuration"

Data in your config entry is going to override your configuration.yaml: {‘broker’: ‘xxx’, ‘discovery’: False, ‘password’: ‘xxx’, ‘port’: xxx, ‘username’: ‘xxx’}

Hi All

Getting error above.
I use the MQTT addon, and assume I get this error because I put following in my HA config:

mqtt:
  broker: core-mosquitto # This will have to be your mqtt broker, Mosquitto addon is recommended.
  discovery: true
  birth_message:
    topic: 'hass/status'
    payload: 'online'
    retain: false
  will_message:
    payload: 'offline'

What do I do to fix?

You might check this out :

You’ve configured MQTT through both the UI (Configuration -> Integrations) and YAML. You need to delete the UI integration and configure it all through YAML (or delete the YAML and configure it all through the UI).

7 Likes

It’s a pretty old topic but as a newbie I also run into this message. My concern is if I delete the configuration.yaml mqtt settings how can I set the following:

discovery_prefix: homeassistant
  birth_message:
  will_message:

The UI ignores these parameters. Based on my tests the MQTT log doesn’t give any warning but simple won’t working.

The only way I found to configure this is manually edit the storage/core.config
But as a newbie I’m not sure how safe or how good is the idea to edit this file. Won’t it cause any upgrade issue or any kind of trouble? I think this should be a system managed config file but I’m newbie…

I’ve found only the MQTT discovery documentation which tells to configure these in configuration.yaml. I haven’t found anything in the MQTT broker documentation regarding these settings.

Maybe I missed something or maybe I misunderstand something. Could somebody please explain this a bit more?

Enabling discovery is toggling a switch in the configuration UI, and homeassistant is the default discovery_prefix. But the birth- and will-message I don’t know how to configure in the UI.

Hi there !

FWIW, I was able to get rid of the error by removing the integration from the ui and moving all the config in my configuration.yaml :

mqtt:
  broker: core-mosquitto
  username: homeassistant
  password: !secret mqtt_password
  port: 1883
  birth_message:
    retain: true
  will_message:
    retain: true

You can get the password from the line in the logs (which by the way is VERY BAD ! Never display password in the logs…).

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, how did you do “removing the integration from the ui”? Or possibly, where is this “other” MQTT configuration which is interfering with configuration.yaml?

After the last update I was hit by this message (seeing documentation as suggested in the message did not help a bit):

Deprecated MQTT settings found in configuration.yaml

This stops working in version 2023.4.0. Please address before upgrading.

The following settings found in configuration.yaml were migrated to MQTT config entry and will now override the settings in configuration.yaml:
'will_message', 'birth_message', 'discovery', 'broker', 'port'

Please remove these settings from configuration.yaml and restart Home Assistant to fix this issue. See the documentation, for more information.

Warning - 12/4/2022

Hi I have just got a similar warning asking to remove the following from the config.yaml :- ‘discovery’, ‘username’, ‘port’, ‘broker’, ‘password’. I am not sure what to do, I dont want to mess up a working setup.

Those entries were deprecated ages ago, you should do what the warning tells you to do.

Hi, Thanks for confirming it.
Ken

Just returning on the topic.

I understand the part about removing them, but I am not able to find out what is “MQTT config entry” where they were supposed to be migrated to and how can I configure them there.

I read the documentation but it does not mention “MQTT config entry” either, so I am lost.

The 2022.3 release notes mentioned those being removed from YAML and moved to the UI.

You configure those using the UI settings for the MQTT integration now.

Thanks for the link, it was quite clear.

I guess there si no point in arguing about it now, but I am surprised that the devs forced the UI as the only option onto users. I was used to configuring everything through the terminal, using the the text files and then backing up those files simply by tar. Not sure what to back up now.

You still back up the entire config folder, that hasn’t changed.

There have been hidden files and folders there for as long as I can remember (back to the days of 0.35), hopefully you’ve not been skipping those - if you were you’ve never had a complete backup.

Right! Thanks again for the nudge.

For anyone who might be wondering the same thing as I did, it seems that “MQTT config entry” is referring to an “entry” in data/entries JSON array in .homeassistant/.storage/core.config_entries JSON file, which seems to be holding some MQTT configuration parameters.