MQTT Alarm Control Panel for Raspberry Pi and Android

I will try to help, but I have all these working and on pretty old devices as well. I have them reporting out to HASS over MQTT. Try to close the app entirely and restart it just to be sure the settings are sticking. Be sure the Alarm Panel notification is running in the system tray. As I recall didn’t you have sensor issues and frame rate issues with Wallpanel? Wasn’t your device missing sensors, did you check under your sensor settings and see which sensor are available for reporting?

You are correct, my tablet doesn’t have any additional sensors. When I say sensors I meant face/motion not the other sensors my tablet doesn’t have :frowning: . Strange thing is battery and state is being sent to MQTT as I can see it in mqtt.fx. I’ve done a total reboot of the device but I’ll keep investigating.

Well do any of the motion/face camera sensors wake the device? Could it be your frame rate on that device? I recall we added a feature to lower the frame rate in Wallpanel. Also double check your MQTT configuration, its different than Wallpanel. Be sure to read the dos for the example. MPJEG streaming sounds like maybe the service isn’t starting as expected or frame rate. Try to go back into settings, then back to main to see if the MJPEG service starts. I have seen this issue on one of my oder devices.

I have it set to wake the device on face detection but this isn’t happening and therefore doesn’t seem to be reported over mqtt. It is however showing motion and face detected when using the camera test in app.

I have the frame rate set to 1 as per WallPanel (which worked)

This seems to be working but only when motion detection is activated. I guess I missed publishing images when only using MJPEG and its tied to motion. I will investigate this as well and make sure its working as expected.

1 Like

I tested this and I see my topic/command changes being picked up by the MQTT client. I changed the Alarm Topic and Alarm Command under the MQTT settings. In my case I used “test/alarm/set” and “test/alarm” and both were used in the MQTT setup. I am still investigating but so far I don’t see any issues.

I have released an update with some UI changes that I hope target your device resolution. Please let me know if they are good. The version is v0.8.3 Build 4

1 Like

Cool app! I really like it. I had plans to try it on an old neutab n7 pro, but that ended up not booting. I got it working to make sure my MQTT setup was all good with a Google 5X. I do want something larger.

I see some liking tablets in here, but I have all the parts for the Pi build in my Amazon shopping cart.

What is the recommendation? I can do a tablet for cheaper, but the Pi seems more fun.

I also notice mention of alarm_night as a 3rd mode in the HA documentation for the alarm_mqtt control, but those buttons don’t show up on my dashboard or this app, is there a way to do night mode as well?

No there is no night mode support at this time.

I am no longer supporting the RPi version because Google decided not to support the RPi 3 B+ for Android Things. Android Things is the Android Software for microcontroller devices. They only support high end hardware ($200) and only support the RPi 3 as a prototype model.

I also noticed that in their own Google Home tablet they use a version of Google Chrome OS instead of Android Things. I suspect they will drop Android Things in the future. I would stick with a cheap tablet like the Fire tablet.

However, the Pi version does still work and it is still a cool project if you have an older RPi 3 laying around. I still enjoy mine and it works well.

great info, so the Fire works fine? I saw some posts about the fire not working, is it specific versions? I have it working with the Nexus 5x, but it’s too small…

I don’t yet have a Fire tablet to test. The issue maybe that some older versions of the Fire tablet are running older custom OS that may exclude some needed Googlr services. Maybe someone from this thread can provide better information. I know some have had no issues with the Fire tablet but I don’t want to lead you astray.

I ordered a fire 7 just now, so will let you know tonight.

Another question, on the manual alarm mqtt page it mentions a night mode, so home, away, and night, but it’s not on their control panel or yours, is there another mode?

I never implemented the night mode because I couldn’t exactly see the purpose. It’s something that could be accomplished with scripts/automations in HASS. There is armed_home, armed_away, disarmed, triggered, and pending modes. If the Fire tablet works for you, I will order a couple for the home because I also have a voice activated control panel, but my tablets are too old to run Snips.

Makes sense… With my old alarm I use to use Home and Away as essentially arm while not there, Home meant with no motion detectors and Away meant with motion detectors, so if I took the dog with me, arm Away, if the dog stayed home, arm home. Both I would have an entry delay on.

With night, no entry delay, we are all home, if something trips, go off right away.

I could do this with input selector and modes as well like I did Guest and Vacation, and some different automations.

Eventually it will be added, but you know, free and open sourced. My time is split between several projects at the moment. If you know Java or Kotlin, jump right in :).

It’s an awesome app as is right now, great work! I’ll check out the code, use to code a bunch in Java, not done anything in Kotlin yet, but people at work use it for our native Android app…

I don’t really need the feature that bad, was just curious more than anything.

I will let you know how the Fire 7 works, should be here today, $50 for the one without the ads one day delivery

So I got the Fire 7 tonight and it does work so far. Few issues, there are no options to change the alarm sound on a Fire, so you are just stuck with the default sound. Also, no options for click sounds. So add no click sounds and no highlights when you click buttons, it’s hard to know if you are clicking buttons or not when disarming.

Functional it appears to work fine, just allow under security to install unsigned applications, go to the url, download APK, and install.

Ah so no haptic feedback option. I do think there is a trick to change the default alarm sounds on Android. I’d have to find the information. I thought I left an option to use built in sounds instead of the system ones.