Multiple homes in the companion app

What I did was:

1. Install TestFlight off the Apple App Store
  2. Open this link on mobile: Join the Home Assistant beta - TestFlight - Apple and click the Start Testing Option
  3. Once the beta version of Home Assistant has been installed, quit the HA app and re-launch it.
  4. Before your HA server instance loads click the orange gear button and select to add a second server
  5. You will be able to switch between servers by swiping with 3 fingers to the left and right.

Hope this helps!

It’s in production for a while now…works pretty well :wink:

Oh really? :man_facepalming: Thank you!

Is this on android as well?

Multiple Servers in the Android app is unfortunately not available. (But is possible with 3rd party apps. See first EDIT)
This is now natively supported for Android as of the 2023.03 release!!!

Was just looking into this so I could add the HA I setup for my parents to my phone as well. Web based access won’t do it as I’m looking for device tracking capabilities and push notifications (I care more when something goes wrong on their server than they do).

Docs clearly only have a section for Apple when it comes to Adding Additional Servers.

EDIT: I was able to accomplish what I needed with the App ‘App Cloner’ by AppListo, which I found the download for on APKMirror. There was a warning about cloud notifications not working vs persistent, so we’ll see if that ends up working out or not. If I remember I’ll report back after testing it out for a few days.

EDIT2: Actionable notifications appear to work and the actions actually open the correct cloned HA app!

EDIT3: Location tracking does not appear to work for the cloned app. Everything else works perfectly though! I have yet to try tag scanning though.
Please let me know if you happen to figure out how to get location tracking working.

EDIT4: This is now natively supported for Android as of the 2023.03 release!!!

3 Likes

I have been trying to run two instances for a while and suddenly it just worked… the way i solved it
was first to open one instance trough chrome on an android device and used the “add to homescreen feature”

then i installed the home assistant companion app and set up my other home with the app. and then the companion app has two icons and runs two different homes…
the only differences is that one is called Home Assistant and the other one just Assistant

“Add to Homescreen” will simply create a shortcut to open the page in a Chrome webview without controls like address bar etc. This is not a second instance of the app, it’s just a nicer looking browser view. Works for controlling most things, but you will not have a “Companion app” item under “Settings”, and thus stuff like device sensor reporting and NFC tag reading will not work.

1 Like

We’re you able to get device tracking to work? Everything else I need seems to work, but my device location is always unknown. I can make device tracking work just fine if I unlink HA app from my primary home and link to secondary home. So, I know I’m setting up HA app location sensor correctly.

Stumped.

Hats off to you, this was exactly my use case and was never able to find a cloning app that worked. This one worked like a charm and now I can have notifications from both instances, thanks again!

1 Like

Nope, that was one of the things I really wanted to get working but couldn’t. I’m not really sure what it is about the cloned app that doesn’t allow it to use Location Tracking info. If I ever happen to figure it out I’ll try and remember to come back here and update… but gotta get my parents setup on some hardware that doesn’t crash multiple times per day before that’s a worth while venture.

1 Like

For what its worth…I switched to using GPSLogger for sending GPS location data to my second home. That’s been working flawlessly. Note that I use Tailscale VPN to provide access to both homes and devices.

I still use the companion app for my primary home device tracking/home-presense.

If you’re using a Samsung phone just use secure folder. This has been working great for me with two instances for a long time.

I’m a bit confused reading this thread. What is the bottom line here: Does the companion App on Android natively support multiple homes, or doesn’t it?

No it does not. What you see above is one companion app and one browser version that looks like an app but is not able to do everything the app does.

A non-native solution could be to use an app like Parallel Space, which is basically a vm like solution allowing to run multiple instances of apps in a separate environment. Some phones like OnePlus have something similar as part of the firmware, but that is limited to specific apps like Whatsapp, and HA is not supported by my OnePlus device.

Android 14 was experimenting with an app cloning feature, but I heard it was dropped from later beta versions. So one day it may come native.

I have not personally tried things like Parallel Space or cloning apps with the companion app, nor can I tell if it is fully functional in terms of GPS and such.

Answer was no when thread started in 2021. Support for multiple homes has since been added .

In the app:
Settings >> companion app >> add server

Is the three finger swipe supposed to work for Android as well? It doesn’t seem to be for me at least, trying to figure out if this is an iOS only thing, or of its something to do with my phone.

Never heard of 3 fingers swipe but there is this

is it possible to choose at the start which server i want to use ?

my problem Home A is used
when i want to switch to Home B i must change VPN Connection
then i start the app and it still wants to open Home A what is not possible
but i cant change to B anymore because the 3 fingers dont work when you get the error

For home A vs B no

For internal vs external connection yes

Internal connection is based on WiFi connection. If you connect to SSID_Home A, Home A internal connection will be used but app will not automatically switch to Home A. It currently does not check for VPN.

I’m not sure if you are aware, but I am using the three fingers swipe both in iOS and Android, and it is working like a charm for both OSs. So yes, it fully works for Android.