Multiple homes in the companion app

Is it possible to have multiple homes within the companion app? I have a Home Assistant for my parents house and mine. It would be nice to be able to switch between two homes in the app. As a workaround, is it possible to install the companion app twice? For example, is there a place to download an ipa file for the app with a different ID string? Then I could side load a second copy with AltStore. Or, can a second copy of the app be uploaded to the App Store until this feature is implemented?

4 Likes

Maybe use in weblink and not app or mix
2 App instances are not possible and dual homes not possible.

Else you could have I frame to second HA or use API to add and control entities from 2nd HA

EDIT
Maybe Android it can be done (2 app install)

Thanks for the ideas. I am almost positive this is possible on android with 2 app installs. I think Samsung phones even have something to do this built in. Without jail breaking, I don’t know any way of doing this on iOS.

I just found this GitHub issue about this feature. I’ll take a look through that thread.

On OnePlus devices there is the parallel apps possibility. It can, for example, run two instances of WhatsApp bounded to two different SIMcards. Maybe this will work for HA too…

From GitHub

This is probably more trouble that it will be worth, but when we start beta testing of 2.0.0 you will be able to have the beta app and released app installed side by side without having conflicting data or any links between the two. You could set up each one for a different location.

I didn’t go through entire thread but the idea of using beta for second instance solves many issues. I believe this would also work on IOS

Have you considered putting the parents home on Nabu Casa? You could then access theirs seperately as remote through browser.

Thanks for all the workaround ideas.

Android: I know it is possible on android to install multiple instances of the same app. Unfortunately it is not possible (as far as I have found) on iOS or macOS (at least Mac store apps).

Beta apps: I wish this would work, but it does not. It does not seem possible to install TestFlight apps along side the App Store version. That post from the GitHub issue is pretty old. My guess is that person was talking about the android app, or that TestFlight works differently now.

Nabu Casa: Both instances are in Nabu Casa (I am now paying for 2 subscriptions for this). That does not help access through the app, although it is nice having access available anywhere.

I am in a same shoo.
This could work if somebody code it:

Hope get enough vote.

Update for future readers: this is now available in the iOS and Mac TestFlight. I presume that it will be available to everyone soon.

I have joined the beta iOS companion app and the multiple servers options is working very well. I have HA setup in a vacation house and it is nice to finally have everything within one native app. The cool thing is notification and location services (ie. any phone sensor) is shared between the servers.
The app is very aware of your location and can switch between local and remote connections as necessary. Awesome feature so far!

1 Like

This is now in the production release.

1 Like

i know i read something about this before, but now i cant find it…where is the info about this? :slight_smile:

here and here

1 Like

Oh I thought it was for both android and iOS… I’m running on Android so guess I’ll just have to wait for support on Android

Yes

I’m pretty sure it’s in the Android beta

Either I’m blind… Or is not? I’m in the beta and scrolled through everything and read the last updates but can’t find it

Same here, can not find it.

Can you use a browser to log into both since you have 2 Nabu Casa subscriptions. You then have multiple access to both instances on the device. I can login from chrome or duckduckgo apps using Nabu Casa.

I see it in the iOS app, but is it planned for Adnroid too?

1 Like

I didn’t read it but info is here