Multiple IKEA Traadfri Gateways - How?

Hi all,

Currently I have two IKEA Traadfri Gateways at my house and it works brilliantly. I’ve been using it on openHAB for a while now and it is really stable. But since I’m now trying Home Assiatant I wanted to implement them as well.

The problem only occurs if I don’t use the Autodiscovery. If I turn it on it finds both of them.
I just don’t want to use that - I want to add them myself. So I went to read the the documentation and I did also succeed in adding one gateway.
I tried fiddling around with it, but I can’t figure out how to add both of them?

What should the syntax be when having to gateways?

# IKEA Traadfri
tradfri:
  host: 192.168.1.80
  host: 192.168.1.81

Heeeeeelp :blush:

Perhaps it’s not possible?

Hi there

I have the same problem since many month now. No solution in sight. It’s a problem with pytradfri aiocoap that won’t get updatet.

Some links:

perhaps here too:

and in this community:

Perhaps you have an idea or could support me by posting in the above github issues that you are affected too.

There is some great news for having multiple tradfri gateways! The grandmasters of hass have implemented multiple tradfri support in the dev branch. You can install the dev branch of hass via pip3 like this:

Be aware of:

• There could be data loss and problems with bleeding edge dev version of hass
  • multiple gateway support works for the most part but is not fully implemented
  • if you are not sure stay with the normal branch and just wait

To install the dev branch of hass issue
pip3 install --upgrade git+git://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.git@dev if you are using pip

For further info check out this link: https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/en/development_environment.html

I’m sorry but I’m not that sharp when it comes to all this, but will this be implemented in a later release or?

Any news? Will the multiple binding be implemented in a release?

Does anyone know if this has been implemented in release 0.81 ?

I was way too euphoric… Multiple gateway support is still not existing. The HASS release notes do not mention anything about it. Check https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/releases

Check out this issue on github too concerning pytradfri and including some other links for further reading: https://github.com/ggravlingen/pytradfri/issues/185

Too bad :frowning: Can’t get the half of my house set up before that works :frowning:

I hope it will be available in the future… For now I had to roll back a lot of bulbs to the openhab system, which can handle multiple getaways

For the curios ones:

Hey,

Anybody seen or tried setting up 2 Gateways lately or haven’t they solved this yet?
I just saw that after 94.0 update I see that my other gateway is discovered (I haven’t noticed if this was the case earlier) though.

Hi,
Have you some news about connecting 2 tradfri gateways ? It’s a huge problem for me, without this feature I can’t migrate from homekit to home assistant…

I created a feature request here :

Perhaps it is possible to control the 2nd Ikea gateway with Homekit Controller ?

I’m curious, can I ask… Why are you using multiple Ikea Gateways? Are you using more than 1 LAN/VLAN?

Because I have 120 Ikea lights…

If you want to add all those lights in HA it should be possible through the homekit controller (you will have to unpair them from your Homekit setup if you use that, but if you do not have an Apple device you don’t need to worry about this).

1. Go to integrations in HA from the UI (configuration>integrations)
  2. Press the big + button at the bottom right corner
  3. Choose Homekit Accessory
  4. From the dropdown menu select your IKEA Tradfri Hub you want to connect
  5. Enter the homekit code (found at the bottom of your HUB) into Home Assistant including the dashes (it should look something like this 142-58-231)
  6. Done! your lights are now in Home Assistant

Bonus: As a bonus the Homekit controller fails a lot less than the IKEA Tradfri integration.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but at least this way you can have all your lights added to Home Assistant. Also I suggest you get a ConbeeII (it is a zigbee gateway). This stick has a better range and response times than the IKEA Tradfri hub and also works with many other zigbee products like xiaomi and philips. It has a direct HA integration and is easy to setup. With this you won’t need any of those hubs anymore.

Edit: If you do have an Apple device and you do use Homekit (and have the IKEA hub paired with your homekit hub) then you will need to unpair it from your device (open the Home app on an Apple device and remove the integration from your Homekit setup). If you had configured anything that belongs to that hub you will need to do them again.
Note that you can not pair with Homekit accessories twice, so you will have to choose. Either you pair it directly with Homekit or you pair it to HA. If paired to HA you can then export the same entities back with the Homekit Component (do not confuse this with the Homekit Controller which is only used to integrate devices that have homekit support into HA)

Thanks for your help. I’ll try as soon as possible, I just bought a 3rd Ikea gateway to test it (because if I unpair a gateway, I’ll lose immediately all my homekit automations, and they are very numerous).
But I would like to continue using Homekit to turn on some lights quickly, I do not think it will be possible (I can’t pair my gateway with HA + Homekit ?)

No, but you can make all those automations with Home Assistant and then export the buttons back to Homekit via HA.

Very good idea. If I understand… When I use Homekit Controler, HA doesn’t exchange data with Apple servers (HA is fully standalone) ?

Using Homekit doesn’t send anything to Apple servers unless you either use the Home app from Apple externally or if you use homekit camera’s. Since none of these two will probably apply to your situation, your answer is correct. Your data will be local!

Sidenote: I have Tado valves, the Tado app relies on an internet connection to the Tado servers. Using it with the Homekit controller makes them usable without the tado cloud!!!