Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

Are you linking to local music? If so you will need to ensure they have ID3 tags with all the required info.

Some of mine need updating but the majority are good so my interface looks much the same as the screenshots without having to do anything really.

Great addon! What I miss is an integration for https://www.ibroadcast.com. Maybe it helps if thereā€™s documentation how to add an media provider, Iā€™m willing to develop it myself but some guidelines would make it a lot easier to step in.

Connecting to YouTube was a breeze.

But I cannot select any player, the player select screen is completely empty.

The players are there and working through the media dashboard.

I am guessing but you need to add player providers to MA. Then MA will discover the players itself for those protocols supported. For unsupported players you can then add the ā€œHA Player Providerā€ and link HA entities across

1 Like

Dev docs are not extensive at this time server/DEVELOPMENT.md at b71a3fe67e3b3edca26bb5a94206bebc10bfda8b Ā· music-assistant/server Ā· GitHub

Look to copy an existing provider

Then come to discord and post in the devs-musicproviders channel and you will get help

1 Like

Great stuff!

Will there be a built-in support for a LastFM scrobbler, or would this play nicely with the community plugin?

3 Likes

Its a standing feature request so vote it up! Support for last.fm service ( and music scrobbling in general) Ā· music-assistant Ā· Discussion #632 Ā· GitHub

3 Likes

How does this work if you run HA on a virtual machine? I have HA on a virtual machine and the physical hardware is connected to 4 dacs that is connected to speakers around the house.

1 Like

Why is it not part of the default add-on list?

If you mean the default addon store that is coming apparently

1 Like

Are you saying you can use an ESP32 as a WiFi/Bluetooth bridge for audio?
i.e. Music Assistant ā†’ ESP32 ā†’ Bluetooth speaker
If possible this would be awesome - Iā€™ve got 3 old bluetooth speakers and some spare ESP32s and itā€™d be great to be able to stream music through my home.
I had a Google but canā€™t work out how to achieve this, can you point me in the right direction?

PS awesome project. I installed it and got it working while I was in bed and shouldā€™ve been sleeping last night :wink:

I assume this is more from the perspective of audio quality than from the perspective of usability, am I right?

As much as I love HA, and as happy I am about this huge leap by MA (which I will give another try now), I donā€™t yet see how it will compete with the usability we have at home right now:

• old amp with analog input
  • bluetooth receiver that supports 2 connected devices
  • connects to both my wifes and my phone automatically via bluetooth when powered up, whoever starts to play music first ā€œwinsā€

No configuration needed, no switching needed.

Bluetooth has its shortcomings, absolutely, but when it comes to ease of use, itā€™s often still at the top of the list.

Great job !!
I have one problem with selecting my echo as a music player,
I get the following speech from echo dot ā€œTo send tts please set announce=true. music canā€™t be played this wayā€.
How can i get pass this ?
Thank you

1 Like

Thank you so much for getting me to try it with Chrome. I thought I had some kind of additional problem (was already a pain to set up with docker in my case).

@OzGav If you access the dashboard with Firefox, add player providers (in my case Slimproto players) you can open the list for players but canā€™t select any. Youā€™re only able to click on one and a drop downs with the volume and an on/off button opens. In Chrome the clicked player is selected as a target.

1 Like

That is actually an issue in the docs because that should work as long as the integration reports it correctly in the ā€œsupported featuresā€ flag. Still, using the HA media in MA is a bit of a workaround (as we do not have full control over the playback chain) so native providers will always be preferred and more stable but you could give it a try and see how well it works, maybe we can tweak some stuff

Yes, both a pi (check out picoreplayer) and an esp32 (with psram) can do that.

As said by someone else, with Firefox iā€™m unable to select which player I want to use.

Secondary problem about Plex, I have many devices set as players that works fine in HA interface, but some are grayed out in MA. I donā€™t know what could be the difference, but they all work fine in HA. Is there any kind of debug option I can use to give you more information?

Bluetooth is not suitable for high quality audio, period.
It also has range issues so I do never ever consider it to be something as serious option. I may add support for it at some day if there is real demand but until now most folks just use ESP32, pi etc. if they want low cost options to stream audio that still produced good quality.

What I may consider is adding bluetooth as a source to Music Assistant for an incidental listening session, so you can make MA act as the ā€œvirtual AVR receicerā€ in your home where you can select any player from your phoneā€™s bluetooth selection.
Not for daily listening but for an incidental stream session.

As a permanent option to output, I donā€™t know. The framework is there so if somebody gets bored and wants to add it, sure but Iā€™d rather focus on other stuff if you get what I mean.

If you enjoy your music with that bluetooth option and it works great for you, then Music Assistant is just not the product for you.

3 Likes

Amazon devices (such as Echo) are not yet supported - but I actually just ordered an Echo Dot device to have a look whats needed to get playback working as there seems to be so much demand.

10 Likes

Yesssssssā€¦

ā€œMost of my heroes donā€™t appear on no stamps.ā€ ~ Chuck D.