Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

That is actually an issue in the docs because that should work as long as the integration reports it correctly in the “supported features” flag. Still, using the HA media in MA is a bit of a workaround (as we do not have full control over the playback chain) so native providers will always be preferred and more stable but you could give it a try and see how well it works, maybe we can tweak some stuff

Yes, both a pi (check out picoreplayer) and an esp32 (with psram) can do that.

As said by someone else, with Firefox i’m unable to select which player I want to use.

Secondary problem about Plex, I have many devices set as players that works fine in HA interface, but some are grayed out in MA. I don’t know what could be the difference, but they all work fine in HA. Is there any kind of debug option I can use to give you more information?

Bluetooth is not suitable for high quality audio, period.
It also has range issues so I do never ever consider it to be something as serious option. I may add support for it at some day if there is real demand but until now most folks just use ESP32, pi etc. if they want low cost options to stream audio that still produced good quality.

What I may consider is adding bluetooth as a source to Music Assistant for an incidental listening session, so you can make MA act as the “virtual AVR receicer” in your home where you can select any player from your phone’s bluetooth selection.
Not for daily listening but for an incidental stream session.

As a permanent option to output, I don’t know. The framework is there so if somebody gets bored and wants to add it, sure but I’d rather focus on other stuff if you get what I mean.

If you enjoy your music with that bluetooth option and it works great for you, then Music Assistant is just not the product for you.

3 Likes

Amazon devices (such as Echo) are not yet supported - but I actually just ordered an Echo Dot device to have a look whats needed to get playback working as there seems to be so much demand.

11 Likes

Yesssssss…

“Most of my heroes don’t appear on no stamps.” ~ Chuck D.

We are investigating a possible bug in this regard. Restart the addon and see if that fixes it.

1 Like

Sorry I don’t use Plex. What are these players? What protocol(s) do they support? How have you added them to MA?

1 Like

Might have been the addon restart that fixed it but it is actually working now. The source for the main Yamaha amp is showing as “SERVER” and the one linked to it is showing as “MusicCast Linlk”. :tada:

I hope you’ll welcome UX/UI suggestions. There are some useful things that might be nice/useful.

This will get out of control here. Recommend coming to Discord and posting in the frontend channel

So I assume you have added them all as HA Media Players? If they are all on the same subnet and some are available and some not then go through the troubleshooting pages in the docs and open an issue on GitHub with all the requested information.

The one thing that I really feel needs more feedback to the user is which player is selected.

I click on a player in the list. Nothing happens. I have to go back to the home page to see if the player is actually selected.

1 Like

Well the box for that player expands. That I guess is the feedback at the moment

Yeah I know exactly what you are saying. However there are times you just need some young person to connect and to stop saying “your system is so retarded”.

Its ok, they’ll get bored and leave when the beer runs out, we can go back to our decent playback path.

Is there an analogue in option? I have a turntable…

Oh to be able to pipe it to the garage…

So I set MA up in a Docker container and I can play music from Spotify with my Slimproto-players (no HACS, no integration except the Slimproto-integration).

If I join my players they play in sync. If I skip to the next song in MA alls players go to the the next song properly. If I skip to the next song in HA only the selected player goes to the next one and the other players simply stop. With LMS this did not happen. Any advice or is this worth an issue?

If you don’t have the Integration then you can’t be targetting the MA player when you skip in HA so that is why it fails.