Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

I just had something very strange happen.

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W running as a Snapcast client and Wyoming satellite, and I can successfully play music to it from Music Assistant.

I was testing using the tts.speak and tts.cloud_say actions to play announcements, and they were working fine. If music was playing, I would call the action, hear the pre-announcement chime followed by the spoken message, and the music would resume shortly after. I could also target the player for TTS messages from the Media/Text-to-Speech area in Home Assistant.

But in the middle of testing, suddenly, the TTS messages ceased to be audible. They show as having played in the MA logfiles and the device history for the media player, but I hear nothing. Whether I play from Media/Text-to-Speech or calling the action from Developer Tools, the TTS files aren’t making sounds. I hadn’t changed a single setting between when they worked and when they didn’t.

The device still plays music just fine, and if music is playing when I send the announcement, the music ducks in volume to accommodate the silent TTS file. TTS plays locally on my browser just fine, too, and if I issue a voice command, the satellite plays an audible spoken response.

I’ve restarted the satellite and restarted HA, to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this or how I might troubleshoot it?

For my bedtime routine that does a variety of things, how would I include a service call in an automation that turns off all music playing through MA?

Sorry no known working combined satellite and media player. If you get it going then let us know.

Put all the media players in a HA group and send a turn off to that?

1 Like

Thx so much

FYI, Nabu Casa’s ESPHome developers are working on such features for an ESP32-based ”voice-kit” in an experimental fork that is planed to be used in an upcoming official Home Assistant Voice Satellite development kit hardware platform, so can follow that progress here:

It will use similar hardware components to what is used in the new ”reSpeaker Lite” devkits:

There is a related feature request discussion for Music Assistant here:

4 Likes

QUESTION: What is the logic supposed to be insofar as what speakers are selected when you first launch MA? I’ve noticed that when I’ve played music to all 12 speakers, and then I pause the music or shut down my computer or shut down my browser…and then later when I decide to play music again, the selected speakers has changed. Sometimes it’s no speakers. Sometimes it’s one, sometimes it’s one plus a few others. But the logic of what speakers were last grouped is lost to me.

Is it browser and session and location based, so if I start music on my phone, and then launch on my desktop, the selected speakers differ? And what if I leave the browser or program on the same computer?

Thanks for helping clear up my confusion.

Currently that is a preference stored in the browser session

Does it not make more sense tying speaking selection to the user who set it, rather than which browser they are at?
For instance, user harry_fine starts music on his phone in the living room. Selects X music on Y speakers.

harry_fine goes into his office, sits down at his computer to work. He gets a Zoom call on his computer, opens MA which is running on his computer through HA in order to pause the player. But instead of seeing the music he wanted, he sees no media selected and a different pairing of speakers.

2 Likes

Currently MA has no visibility of what user set what.

Hi all, I just got Music Assistant running on my system. Loving it. I have just one strange observation: When I pause a track, the playback will continue automatically after a few seconds with the next track. This happens only in my Slimproto Players. Does anyone have the same experience. Any idea what is causing this behavior?

QUESTION RE: RADIO BROWSER: Loving this music source. But the issue for me is, I can’t find and choose stations I may enjoy because AFAIK, you can’t do searches. You can only list by tag or popularity.
A related issue that only came to light with Radio Browser’s list being so long, the page up/down button doesn’t seem to be integrated into MA when on my computer. That’s a lot of mouse wheel scrolling.

Last time I looked, I could search in radio browser in ma.

EDIT: seems my memory is faulty. Probably the best way is to look on radio browser.info to use their search function.

I tried that, but even when you find the station you want (st. tropez Samba 103.6) for instance, how do you select it?

Any info on page up / page down?

EDIT: Page up down works??? I was sure I tested it before.
EDIT #2: It doesn’t scroll again. I opened a second tab in Firefox and the scroll didn’t work. I went back to the original tab and the scroll, which worked before, does not work when pressing page up or page down.

I started seeing odd behavior with the radio functions similar to what your first posted with version 2.2.1. Then I tried 2.2.3 and it seems very broken now. As described by your 2nd post. For me MA cant find any radio stations at all.

V2.1.4 still working fine for me.

I have learned a backup is valuable before updating MA, as I’ve seen the radio function break on a few past versions.

You can search. Go to browse>>radio browser>>by country (or whatever) and then use the search icon at the top.

As for using Firefox we see inconsistencies in its implementation so better to use a different browser (not Safari or Arc)

Edit: you can also use the mass.search action

1 Like

How can i embed this in a dashboard ?

I want a menu on the left, and if pressed a button, I want the music assistant be seen…

What is “this”?

Is it possible to have the whole player as a side screen ?

You can access the music assistant gui from the side menu, assuming that’s what you mean by “side screen”.