Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

You can have a native group of Sonos which will play in sync. Similarly for Airplay. If however, you create what is termed a universal group with both Airplay and Sonos (individually or grouped) then that is not guaranteed to play in sync. How much it is out by I couldn’t say and people’s experiences with that vary. Some are very happy and some say it doesn’t work well at all. You would have to try.

One of MA strengths is its integration with HA. Announcements are a core feature and the audio will be paused and resumed. You can play a track from the library as an announcement or an audio file available via URL.There are dedicated MA service calls (actions) for this.

Is there a better way to select an radio station while using the Play Media service call?

For the third time my library got wiped after an update of MA and using library://radio/1 in an automation is dependent on the order I add stations to the library (which I tend to forget every time).

Would be nice to use the display name here or maybe anI other unique identifier that is does not depend on the library ID.

See the first line Frequently Asked Questions - How Do I...? - Music Assistant

1 Like

I made my iTunes music folder a file share then added it to Music Assistant with the FileShare (remote system) provider which makes all the music available to every player. You don’t get the played stats in itunes but the music plays great.

You can specify files to play in automations. I made some HA buttons to play different radio stations and can trigger them from my watch.

1 Like

I ran into this today… only using Plex as a provider. I can file an official bug report or whatever, but its not affecting functionality, but its hilarious.

If you do want a bug report, can you remind me where to pull the logs I would need.

Edit, bug report exist: Some tracks are marked with the wrong artist / artwork after 2.2 upgrade · Issue #2792 · music-assistant/hass-music-assistant · GitHub

Don’t worry about the logs but add to the report with your images above and any details you have regarding what the MA UI looks like from both artists views as that is useful to see where the linkages are.

This sounds perfect. Thanks.

I’ll install MA and see how things progress.

To OzGav’s point about a hybrid ‘speaker’ group, I’ll try that with two speakers in the same room and see just how ‘out of sync’ the music is. If it’s marginal, then moving between rooms might not even be noticeable.

OK, I used HACS to download MA and restarted Home Assistant. It seemed to recognize the new ‘integration’. I tried to configure it using the IP address of my Home ssistant Yellow box. (see below):

However, what I got was:

I assume that the Music Assistant specific LLM Connversion Agent should be “Home Assistant”. Regardless, even when I don’t select this, the symptoms are the same.

Should I be using my regular HA port - 8123, tor sticking with 8095?

Did you also install the addon? You need to.

Er…no. Let me go hunt down the directions for that.

Hmmm. just looked through the installation guide, but find no hint as to where to find the “add on”.

I have this:

If this is what you mean, then I have it.

Please review the docs. As you are using the addon that URL is incorrect. It should have been discovered automatically

OK, a restart seems to have solved it…

Thanks. I’ll play more with it.

Guys, I think I’m going to try the Music assistant on my alexa with a tip that marcel gave git. In fact he said to test it, I will!

Install squeezebox on an esp32

Connect the esp32 via bluetooth to my alexa.

I’m not sure if this card I have at home will work.

System

Would I have to buy this?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN57oti

As no one can tell what your you have - ie no one can see any details from the pic you posted, you are unlikely to get an answer.

OK, I’m a little confused (or stupid) here.

The integration seems to be added, and it discovers pretty much all my devices (Homepods and Sonos speakers), but when I click on configure, it gives a default URL of 173.30.32.1:8095. Is this corrrect (as 173.30.x.x isn’t on my home network, that would be 192.168.86.75 for my Home Assistant box, but it seems to quite happily take it)?

The reason that I ask is I’m trying to make Music Assistant visible in my list of Media Sources, and as yet, can’t achive that…so I think something is mysteriously misconfigured.

Yes that is the internal docker url. You are using the addon so this is normal

Most of my playlists work fine, but with one I get this error:

Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection
Source: components/websocket_api/connection.py:307
integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 07:57:29 (13 occurrences)
Last logged: 08:11:20

[281472453375552] Error handling message: MediaNotFoundError: track://3sUrcTYi3FhzK5gNFuH4PT not found on provider spotify (home_assistant_error) from 192.168.1.139 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/128.0.0.0 Safari/537.36)
[281472453375552] Error handling message: MediaNotFoundError: track://4HVRXMZcF9LCn4lhqO6K20 not found on provider spotify (home_assistant_error) from 192.168.1.139 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/128.0.0.0 Safari/537.36)
[281472453375552] Error handling message: MediaNotFoundError: track://6L9fPDD6c5fdOQciQwLJgk not found on provider spotify (home_assistant_error) from 192.168.1.139 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/128.0.0.0 Safari/537.36)
[281472453375552] Error handling message: MediaNotFoundError: track://2u25rubRhcXykJMhPQPvhr not found on provider spotify (home_assistant_error) from 192.168.1.139 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/128.0.0.0 Safari/537.36)
[281472453375552] Error handling message: MediaNotFoundError: track://0hVRQiNj5dA3oU7nDOdB1a not found on provider spotify (home_assistant_error) from 192.168.1.139 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/128.0.0.0 Safari/537.36)

Anyone else had this problem? Tips on how to solve it?

Those are Home Assistant errors?

Today I tried Spotify oAth flow to get my spotify going. When it redirected me back to the app, it tried to redirect me to the machine’s IP address and HTTP port 8097 (weird!) and non-SSL (https://x.y.z.w:8097/callback/....), rather than my https://music.domain as I have configured in MASS and use through my phone and browser. This obviously doesn’t work because that port is not open to the phone — the NginX server is running on port 443 and proxies only port 8095 for the web instead. Port 8097 is only used for streaming.

Why?

When I tried changing the protocol, IP and port, it just said “404 not found”.

BTW there is no way to report this issue in the MASS server github repo.

I am using the very latest container of MASS server right now.