Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

Not just picky it is now at the point of being mandatory to properly tag the local music as the API calls to the online metadata sources MA is using to fill in the blanks is out of control. Changes are necessary and will be rolled out in the next update.

2 Likes

Are you saying I can remove the Sonos integration and your app will still work, detect speakers etc? This assumes I have no automation outputting to those speakers?

For the person asking about using MA outside of the sidebar, just create a dashboard or a dashboard view using the web card. Of course after enabling the port as was mentioned earlier. Works great. Works on my phone as well as in fully kiosk.

1 Like

Biggest (maybe only) problem I have with MA is the small size of the volume slider. It’s awfully small on a phone. Also my phone’s volume buttons don’t adjust volume. Is it possible to do that?

Yes MA doesn’t rely on any HA functionality

1 Like

Yes mentioned here Better UI for Volume Control (Phone or Tablet) ¡ music-assistant ¡ Discussion #2265 ¡ GitHub

1 Like

When it is time to stop listening to music and turn on the TV connected to one of the sound bars, the Sonos Arc for instance, it shows up as an external source in the MA app. Which is fine. But by mistake I turned off the Sonos arc speaker, and there seem to be no way to get the TV sound back without going into the Sonos app and selecting TV as the source. I would think this would be an issue for a lot of people and I don’t know if it’s something that can be looked at.

I’m not sure if I understand the problem from MA’s perspective. As MA was reporting “External Source” something else is controlling the player.

1 Like

Using the Sonos app you can choose the TV signal hooked into the Arc or Beam as a source. When TV turns on, there is a Sonos setting to auto switch the source of the Arc or Beam attached to the TV. So if the Arc was playing music, the music stops and TV sound starts.

But sometimes the sound bar doesn’t auto-switch to TV when it senses the HDMI or optical sound source. With the Sonos app you could select the speaker and then select the media source as TV.

So all I’m saying is that without a way to manually select TV as a sound source for a sound bar, I would still need the Sonos app to do that

So if I understand correctly you are wanting MA to have the ability to switch the source? If so you could put that in as a feature request on GH and see what traction it gets

I will do, thank you.

That makes absolute sense! However that also introduces problems to people having large collections of music files from past times when you didn’t even tag your files. A function to sort these out under “uncategorised” but still be able to play them would probably allow anoter group of people to use the fantastic MA :slight_smile:

MA will do its best using file names, folder names and any tags present but it will no longer do lookups to fill in the blanks. If you find tracks are missing or in the wrong place then you will need to tag it properly.

I want to confirm for the rest of the folks here that the container installation worked perfectly (once I opened up the requisite TCP ports both on Home Assistant and on my media server). Thanks!

MA is still a bit buggy (e.g. my Marantz receiver does not show up, the only media players that do work correctly are those players imported from HA, and metadata display screens on my media players only show a filename with FLAC extension), but it shows enormous promise. Spotify works perfectly! I am duly impressed.

Regarding playlists. Is it possible to edit them? I mean, not only on the nas, also on MA server.
I cant find any option to edit them on the UI, just to create them or add.

Like here:

Are there any plans for adding support for Amazon Music to this?

Alright, thanks :+1:t3:

Not yet. Slated for 2.1

1 Like

It running second in the vote so after Apple Music we will see

Is there a way to add MA as a music source for HA? When I select a speaker in HA and click “Browse Media” it’d be nice if MA appeared as an option but it doesn’t appear to. I think I have setup the HA plugin provider correct but it kist shows this so maybe I’ve getting some error

Side Note: Can you have multiple of the same music provider? Say I want to link 3 different YT Music providers to MA, separate accounts for the members of the family.