My Garden Irrigation

Don’t you know we’re an island race? We don’t interest ourselves in anything beyond our shores. Not even Europe anymore and that is only 20 miles away. :frowning:

Hi Klogg,
i’ve installed your great packages, thanks!
I’ve this error on guest mode lovelace setup:

Package guest_mode_lovelace setup failed. Component cards Integration 'cards' not found.

Any help is apreciated.
Thank you so much,

Alessandro

Yes, the lovelace file for Guest Mode is not a complete config (as stated in the comment at the top :wink:

#=== THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE LOVELACE VIEW
#=== I have added this here at the request
#=== af a forum member.
#=== It is just a snippet to enable the 
#=== the rest of the Guest Mode to be used.
#=== Please adapt and incorporate into your
#=== configuration as appropriate.

It is just the cards (hence your error) so you’ll need to include it in a view somehwere.

Hi Klogg,
great work as of now. I can’t wait to see your next package!
Thanks you for all

Me too. Here in Italy, hot is coming… I’d like to see a preview :wink:

@dapuzz, @itajackass.

Thanks for the encouragement!
I actually have a new package written and have been considering making it available.

I am more than happy to share it but because of the current situation I’ve had too much time to fiddle with it and it seems to have grown organically rather than through good design!!

It is definitely more flexible and configurable and it has quite a feature rich UI. The downside is that I wonder if the UI will be quite demanding if you run HA on a RPi. I don’t know, as I run my HA on a NUC.

Also due to it’s organic growth I didn’t live up to the promise of it being leaner :slight_smile:

Finally, it is not fully tested except on my desk where it seems to work perfectly.

If you want me to, I will put it ion GitHub but certainly for the time being it will be as a beta version with no assurances from me :wink:

Features of the new system are

• 2 scheduled cycles
  • 1 manually controlled cycle
  • Scheduled cycles can be scheduled for any time and can be set to run on specific days of the week
  • Scheduled cycles can both be used with or without rain adjustment and/or temperature adjustments independently
  • Weather adjustment routines are more efficient and have been slightly improved (I think)
  • It can cope with a variable number of zones. It will only need more code if you have more than 8
  • Zones and Cycles can be given user friendly names from with the UI

I think that is about it. I am using SmartWeather for my rainfall data and DarkSky for temperature. If you want to use something else it will need some changes.

One more thing, I designed it to use an 8 relay board and an ESP32 to control them but there is no reason at all why it wouldn’t work fine with any switches (eg Sonoff). I did decide to include a single Sonoff Basic which powers the entire system. This way I still have the fail safe where I can make use of the PulseTime. If you don’t need that because you are staying with Sonoffs it should be easy to adapt it to include the PulseTime setting for each individual valve. I hope that makes sense…

Let me know if you want it on a ‘preview’ basis.

This is what it looks like :wink:

3 Likes

This looks great!! Just built my own “smart” irrigation system. Love to check your package!

Awesome! Please share lovelace configuration too!
I have actually a sonoff 4ch with stock firmare so I am going to implement my own “pulsetime” script …the “good” side of corona lockdown, we have lot of free time :-/

Amazing UI!!!
I hope it will work without pain on a Raspbi! :slight_smile:
Yes actually i have 2 sonoff 4ch pro… I need to implement pulsetime for each channel then.
Will be difficult for me tocimplement a 3th cycle? Because i have 2 zones with strawberry and i’d like to irrigate 3 times a day with drop irrigation :slight_smile:

Last question: is it possible to implement a checkbox for disable/enable a commercial sensor rain? Because i’ve wrote a tutorial (sorry in italian but very easy with images) to use a commercial rain sensor with a zigbee hack device: https://www.domoticadiy.it/2020/04/sensore-di-pioggia-commerciale-zigbee2mqtt-home-assistant/

Another idea for all: separate translation? :slight_smile: https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/internationalization_custom_component_localization/

In this case i can partecipate to translate menus in italian if it is a good idea for you

Ok, I’ll try and add it to GitHub tonight or tomorrow…

2 Likes

Also i can’t wait to see the new package!!

For anyone interested version 2 is now on GitHub

PLEASE REMEMBER: Whilst it works on my desk, it can only be considered a preview at this stage.

Great idea, grazie Giuseppe.
I’ve tried to integrate this project but without success!
Ciaooo,

Alessandro

2 Likes

Hi thanks for sharing it. A question: i don’t undestand how to lovelace_gen works. where I need to put your lovelace dir? and how to modify ui-lovelace.yaml main file?

I tried to put content of view_garden_v2.yaml directly on my ui-lovelace.yaml. then i removed some entry about smartweather i haven’t yet… after reboot of HA I get a very bad not working layout. I’ve included all plugin required by HACS. Anyone has integrated it without problem?

Hi, thanks for the wonderful work. If I don’t have the master solenoid valve, what pieces of code should I remove?

Lovelace_gen is a very powerful custom component by Thomas Loven. To find out what it does and how it does it I suggest you read his Github.

Some of my lovelace yaml files have the first line as:
# lovelace_gen
Do not remove this as it is need by this custom component.

Yes, I have probably not made it clear how my folder structure is…
In my config I have a lovelace folder.
Inside that I have two sub-folders:

• includes which contains some lovelace yaml files that I use throughout my config and,
  • garden_includes which contains some lovelace yaml files that I wrote just for this package

You can move all the files into one folder but you will have to edit all references to them to point to the right place.

My ui-lovlace.yaml
has the following:

views:
  - !include lovelace/view_garden_v2.yaml

I hope that helps with those questions. I will try to remember to update the readme on Github to be clearer.

What exactly does this mean?

If you mean the extra Sonoff I am planning to use as fail-safe switch with the PulseTime feature then you need to search for pulsetime and remove the relevant bits. However at this stage there is no real need to remove anything as it should still work with it still there. All it does is sends an MQTT message.

yes, because my system is made up of two 4ch pro sonoffs that turn on each valve(6 zones), I don’t have a master that turns on and closes the entire system. however, the pulsetime function will also be there for all sonoff 4ch?