My Snips Housing (What's your IOT Housing?)

I tried many times to approach snips but without success. I think it has a good potential but a very confusing documentation.

Can you suggest me some noob guide for starting from scratch? Consider that my idea would be running Snips server into a docker container (no more officially supported and poorly documented) and then create some snips satellites around the house. Why? Well remove gh minis and finally says " HEY JARVIS"!

2 Likes

I am still trying to think of a suitable name for my proposed snips instance. HAL seems doomed to disobedience. Jeeves is too twee. Hey snips will be hard to explain to visitors. Mammy is just, well, not acceptable any more.

Perhaps I should concentrate on just getting the thing working first :grin:

Poor misunderstood HAL.

He was just doing his job, withholding the mission’s true purpose from being (prematurely) revealed to the crew.

He can be faulted for being too thorough about it.

Well. In my case it will be named Jarvis without doubt!

a noob guide would be great on setting up snip…

My thoughts exactly. A forum search found this thread - Snips.ai Voice Assistant - from questions to ultimate guide

2 Likes

In fact you catch me in the middle of installing raspbian to progress this.

Very nice housing unless you didn’t continue that way :wink: Regarding SNIPS I use it since ages with my HA system and also alone (some intents are handled locally in snips such as cooking timer, shopping list and other stuffs go at HA, and it works really great !
For documentation I agree but isn’t it always the problem with project still in beta and so evolving pretty fast ?
Right now if you use the sam setup way it should be pretty straightforward (even if using Respeaker 2, just indicate at sam you have the maker kit and voilà :wink:

I got a new idea for my housing… wood blocks with led in between and reacting to mqtt topics of snips. Need to investigate a bit more but I think I’ll come up with a new design very soon. My snips works perfectly so far too. Maybe my intents are more complicated as needed as I am not really familiar with all this stuff but at least they work very well. We should make a showroom for IOT housings as already mentioned earlier in the post .

I was also thunking about a small “shop” for reselling smart devices. Well just ideas :slight_smile:
BUt for the time being I’ll stick to my housing stuff and fininsh those first.

this is my snips housing: i put a raspberry 3 and a mqtt LED desplay into a canvas picture frame (with a wooden frame). this works fairly well, the respeaker LEDs (can be seen in the image below as a blue dot) and the mqtt LED display shine through the canvas. i’ve been using this for more than a year now and there seem to be no heat issues. the mqtt LED display says „yes?“ in german, after the snips hotword is detected (which is way better than a feedback sound). if not spoken to the display shows the time of day or messages send via homeassistant. if my oven is running, it will automatically display it’s temperature, if a timer is running it’s count down on the display as well.

2 Likes

awesome idea… would u mind taking a short video? I have matrix LED And might include those also… maybe you could assist me a bit?

i took two videos a while ago:

Why or more exactly how are you using “Alexa” as the custom wake word for Snips?

i’m not using it anymore, but then it was a snowboy hotword script, that allows you to use snowboy wake words with snips. see:

right now i’m using the default snips hotword engine, mainly because it’s more robust, has fewer false positives and it runs smoothly an reliably on my mac mini (installed via brew). all other snips components still run on the pi behind the canvas.

1 Like

very well done.
what mic and speakers do you use?

PlayStation Eye and re spreaker 2.

1 Like

So the playstation eye is the speaker?

how does it compare to alexa?

@bachoo786
in the case of the snips base behind the picture frame the PS eye it’s the microphone and the respeaker 2 acts as a speaker amp. i use the respeaker 2 on a snips satelite (in another room) as a microphone and speaker amp. so actually the respeaker 2 and a small speaker are all you need (besides a raspberry).

@david1
for me it replaced alexa completly. it has limitations, most of all a lack of a general dictionary that recognises words snips is not trained for, but as long as you don’t need ask knowledge questions or play music by requesting certain titles it’s perfect: fast, precise and robust. and most of all, very well customizable. i use it for timers, full HA control, scenes, lights or routines and anouncements (and i programmed a fart generator — of course). there’s also a very nice shopping-list app, that works (unofficially) with http://bring.app

1 Like

hi @diplix

so I got my respeaker 2 and I am thinking of using it as a microphone and speaker amp. Looking at the documentation I am confused as to how I power it up? do I just attach it to the raspberry pi 3b+ and power the raspberry via the usb power pin or do I have to power the respeaker 2 seperately from the raspberry via the usb power pin found in the respeaker 2?

Thanks.