My steps to success for Hass.io on Intel NUC

No user inputs I even turned on power on after power loss in bios so as soon as power is attached it turns on, I even updated the is to 2.26 after initially installing 2.2

Loads without interaction just like the pi but in about 40seconds rather than 3minutes plus

Is this also the case for the install?

I was more referring to the installing part, when you very first boot it with the image loaded for the first time.

Good to know once installed itā€™s headless but I assumed it would be already tho.

Been following this thread for a while and very tempted to jump ship from my RP3b+.

Can people recommend one Nuc over another? Is it worth finding an i5, i3 over a celeron? And how much ram is really required, 4gb vs 8gb?

Thanks!

My experience here. Very happy with the switch!

1 Like

Well, I just checked and it doesnā€™t. When I boot up in Ubuntu, it appears just fine. When I boot with Hass.io it doesnā€™t show up.

I just found the wireless card used in my NUC: IntelĀ® Wireless-AC 8265. So according to the list, it should be supportedā€¦

@sapnho Try re-imaging your SSD again.

There are USB relay and GPIO boards. I have not attempted to use one with HassIO on my NUC but now I am curiousā€¦

I already did, unfortunately, the same resultā€¦

Appears flashing the image directly to the mssd drive of the NUC works.

Used a ssd to mssd USB convertor with etcher to flash the latest NUC image.

Reinstalled the mssd back into the NUC. Switched it on and after about 5mins it appeared on my network. Logged into IP:8123 and the magic please wait 20mins hass.io screen was present.

Will update how it goes once itā€™s finished. Still donā€™t have HDMI out put but thatā€™s ok. For $40 Iā€™m not complaining

@Grantoboy Awesome, well done! donā€™t know why I didnā€™t try that :yum:

HDMI is still dead on the NUC but not really needed since itā€™s headless.

Reboots seem slow tho. Is this normal for a nice install?

Mine takes <1m to restart with no code to speak of on a very old NUC platform (circa 2013) so might be standard. Config checking is must faster though. Iā€™m still running HassOS on Odroid C2 at the moment but will be switching back to NUC at the end of the month.

P.S Bluetooth is now supported!

1 Like

Mine is a 2013 ish one also but takes a few minutes with no config.

But yes once loaded everything loads better

New update out and not beta anymore!! Fantastic!!! Just migrating now. Hey anyone know how to setup wireless?

1 Like

Hi all

Iā€™m going to move my actual RPI3 HASSIO to Intel NUC i3

I was thinking to install ESXi 6.5 (it seems that 6.7 does not work), but I know (maybe Iā€™m wrong) that ESXi does not recognize the WLan card, and I was thinking to use it.
Then, installing Ubuntu Server 18.10 on a VM and install HASSIO using docker.

The other option is to install directly on NUC Ubuntu Server, same as above hoping that WLan will work.

Of course, I know that having a real VM Manager like ESXi will let me ā€œplayā€ with VMs making snapshots, clones, testing and so on.

The configuration will be 8GB ram and 250GB SSD.

Any suggestion?

iā€™m trying to migrate to a NUC and have followed the guide and iā€™m having a little trouble:

I have an i3 Nuc
with a 1TB M2 SSD in it.

when i load a USB stick in with the hass.io image I get a ā€œHassOS Boot menuā€

which gives me 4 options:
1: Autoboot
2: Boot System_0
3: Boot System_1
4: Shell

When i select one of these options, it flashes up something very fast but itā€™s far to quick to read. I would have thought it should be booting to the HassIO screen?

1 Like

You used to need to either remove the SSD and use Etcher to flash the image to that directly or boot to a Linux live image and then use Linux commands to image the SSD with the HassOS image.

Iā€™ll try burning directly to the SSD, as iā€™m a Linux noobā€¦

I have read your guide, in the guide, donā€™t you burn the image to a USB? if so if the SSD unused? or am i just well confused?

Also thank you for your reply

In my video, Iā€™m using Linux commands to image the whole SSD with the HassOS *.gz file (that is contained on another USB drive). Others have since taken the SSD out and imaged that directly which might be easier?

But if i decide not to use the SSD I should just be able to follow your original guide yeah?

which is essentally the same process as working on a PI yeah? down load image burn it to an SD Card, with etcher, put in turn and on come back in an hour?

itā€™s starting to boot but apprears to pause around 3seconds in when it looks to the USB stuff