My take on a home dashboard running on the Lenovo ThinkSmart View and managing multiple devices running Fully Kiosk

It’s weird: spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot and I simply cannot sideload with ADB using 2 different Mac computers (M1 and Intel) when Lineage is in Recovery mode.
adb devices always returns an empty “List of devices attached”.

I tried the same with my Lenovo Tab M11 and it gets listed in the System Information app and when I run the command adb devices.

Similarly, when the Lineage os is fully installed and debug mode is turned on (after using a Linux machine to sideload the 2 zip files), the Mac computers still don’t see the TSV at the end of the USB cable, and adb doesn’t list it either…

Using macOS 14.4 on an M1, I’m able to see the TSV and sideload APKs.
Have you tried different USB cables?

Yes, I tried with another cable.

And to clarify: I was able to do the EDL with that same cable, it’s only the adb part that doesn’t work with the TSV. No problem sideloading on that Lenovo tablet using the same cable.

Maybe a version issue?
In terminal,

./adb version 

returns

Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.41
Version 34.0.5-10900879

Has anyone been able to get EDL to work? I have 40 years of software development under my belt and have never seen such a mess of a repo. I have tried getting it running on a Mac, Ubuntu, Alpine and even the live cd doesnt work for me. I am clearly missing something…

I’m also seeing this. Tried both Intel and Apple Silicon, different adb versions, MacOS versions, etc…
It worked with EDL for the initial flashing, but can’t connect afterwards.
Had to use a Windows laptop to sideload apps.

@pgale, could you add the background image to the dashboard repo?

Never mind, I have found a quite similar one here:

Also, I have to say a big thank you for all the instructions and help with the garbage bin schedule and the yaml dashboard. It all works well. I managed to set up the device without any issues (disregrading some Sahara errors) by following your instructions above.

1 Like

Nice.

I couldn’t share my image as it’s licenced from a library I use. Good that you found something. Glad it’s all working.

I posted some notes on doing it with a pi4b 2gb on the git. it isnt cleaned up so your mileage may vary

I uave a question and hopefulky someone has an answer.
I have this lenovo setup with this 8.1 linageos and the android ip webcam, works so far besides that the picture of the webcam is totally out of wack in terms of length and height. And that the screen only dims when not used and not totally shuts off.
Either way, i life rural and we have power outage every second day it feels like lately and so does the ip change of the display, was a bummer with correcting frigate ip all the time for the cam, so i made it static ip, but as soon i do that, my hole network goes bogus. I am losing mqtt responses, going offline all the sudden and back. Like i would have used an ip address that was in use by something else, but that is not the case. I will prob go back to dhcp and have that lease be permanent from router site but does that behavior makes any sense to anyone? Now that the display is unplugged every button, cam and so on came back.
Thx for thoughts

I fought with the repo for too many hours to count, after getting it to fully install it failed with an error about a version number after connecting to the the TSV, so I abandoned it and went back to windows on a different machine and got a working usb port cable combination.

I have been in IT/software development since 1990 and I struggled as well. I am sure if I could have found a two year old non-updated version of Linux for my rPi 3b and locked the packages to versions available at that time it would have gone smoother as the repo hasn’t been updated since then, it would have worked.

I suspect your DHCP server is handing out the same address to some other host. Allocate the static IP from outside your DHCP range.

I just make my DHCP reservations permanent within the DHCP server. Much easier to manage and see what you have assigned rather than setting static IP’s at the device level.

Yes for sure.

Would someone please share how tall the device is, lying sideways and standing up? The official dimensions are not too clear. Thank you!

I ended up making the reservation in dhcp permanent…works since than…
The ip i gave it static was out of the lease range…but what ever…
Thx all

1 Like

Standing up it’s about 24.5cm tall.
Laying flat it’s 26cm wide
Depth of the base at its widest is about 12.5cm
(edit grammar)

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I brought one and put it under the TV. Lying sideways, the height can be about 14cm or 11cm if you put it upside down.

I didn’t install Gapps and rely on Yakk - A simple motion detector and wake screen app for wall mounted tablets (Android)

Is this the one described in the Github repo? And you meant the FullyKiosk camera integration to Home Assistant? Or you meant displaying a webcam on the dashboard?