My way to install HASSIO on QNAP NAS

I see essentially the same thing in mine except there is no IPv4 address where you have one.

I don’t see any options to enable “virtio-serial” in settings or to install the “Guest agent”, though the information box indicates I should.

It seems so close! The virtual machine is just not being assigned an IP address.

1 Like

It’s working! This is amazing!! Such a simple installation. I’m on a QNAP TS-453be NAS.
Seems I needed to use a Virtio type virtual switch instead of all of the other options, like Intel Gigabit Ethernet as in the screenshots. Also, make sure you check the virtio-serial box in the settings tab for the home assistant virtual machine. It’s under “other”.

Excellent glad you got it working. I was just about to suggest you check the ‘Others’ tab to see if you had enabled ‘Virtio-serial’ :+1:

Hi,
I have HA on my TS-451 Pro + Virtualization station + Ubuntu + Docker
Works fine but I’m preparing to switch to the supported installation using official OVA image and Google Drive Backup Snapshot and Restore option.

The question is: what’s about all docker containers like node-red, grafana etc after switch to OVA? Will all be restored in new VM?

Hi,
iam new to HASSIO and Iam trying to install Home Assistant on mt QNAP TS-253A (Celeron 1.6GHz,GB RAM) using the Virtualization Station 3.
I have downloaded official OVA image from https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ and import this image as an Virtual Machine (VM).
However the VM fails to start very time, looking at the console, I’ve spoted some errors but I do know what to do about them.

I’ve tried different configutration of VM but can not get this work.
I’ve also tried OS Type: Generic and Linux Ubuntu 18.04, Network Intel as well as VirtIO
Can someone please suggest corect configuration of VM?

@Bryan @bastero

1 Like

as @Magic posts tried with:
docker run -d --name "hassio-supervisor" --restart always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v /var/run/hassio-hc.sock:/var/run/hassio-hc.sock -v /share/container/homeassistant/hass/data:/data -v /share/container/homeassistant/hass/log:/var/log -e SUPERVISOR_SHARE=/share/container/homeassistant/hass -e SUPERVISOR_NAME="hassio-supervisor" -e HOMEASSISTANT_REPOSITORY=homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor

it created 7 containers but hassio_dns permanently restarting and homeassistant works about 2-3 mins and crashes. attempting to start it manually cause an error.
any suggestions?

tried to install OVA image in VS3, but it stopped every time
on the step:
udevd: starting udev-3.2.9

this is resolved. it’s all about virtio-serial enabling

Hi Guys,

having the same issue as

However, I have enabled Virtio- serial and used Virtio as type with a virtual switch, per Brian’s advise.:

The missing piece tho - in the CD/DVD Rom line in the settings menu, there is NO option / button for insert Guest Tools CD as in most instructions I can find…? Do I even need these tools if they are windows related?

Here is a screen grab from the Qnap site, that shows the button:

Thoughts? Ive trawled through Qnap site trying to figure out why and how this is missing. i’ll be raising a ticket with Qnap in parallel to any response you guys have… Again, guest tools may not be needed?

Jarrod

Hello,
Thanks for the résumé and what about official hassOS VM vs container ?
I just receive my new qnap, i’ll Switch from a rpi3 and i really hesitate… HassOS VM seems more userfriendly than container version (exemple with updates). But container version consume less performance ? I’m confuses if someone Can guide me :crossed_fingers:

(Qnap 251d with 8go ram)

In the end I went with the HassOS VM route.

QNAP box => Virtualization Station => use the official HassOS VM

My QNAP box is a 253D, and I gave just 1GB of RAM to the HassOS VM, and has not noticed any performance hit.

So yes, going VM route would consume more resources than container route, but (in my case) I can live with the tax and enjoy the user-friendliness from HassOS.

1 Like

Have you checked how much RAM is required to run a virtualization station?

*just only one VM with hassio is running

I have only got one VM. So just to leave a data point here for future reference:

This is from the Resource Monitor:

And this is from the VS3:

Now, if I power off my HassOS VM:

Don’t know how you could disable VS3 entirely short of uninstalling VS3. So I’d stop here.
Not running Container Station either so cannot really compare. I hope someone else could follow up, in case we really need to find the answer.

But HassOS VM under VS3 is good enough and painless enough for me.

This is a brilliant answer. I got all that to run by fixing some issues with DNS container and HA container, but my networking is still pooched so no container can talk to other containers. Still have to figure that one out. Regardless, this almost gets me to where I need to be so I just wanted to thank you since I have never seen this method mentioned anywhere else.

does this method work for you?
have you made changes to the ssh command?
I can’r install containers such way.

Hi there all,
I just installed the Hass OS in my Qnap 882 using the OVA image
It was installed in 10 secs :slight_smile:

But first os all… now my Hass OS with about 6-8 Add-on have a restart in just 11 sec :slight_smile:
Grate grate story !!! so THANKS A LOT TO ALL DEVELOPERS !!!.

So i have installed Hass OS in a 6 GB hard disk image and after installation,
I remember it was about at 20% of HD

Then I installed some apps:
Node-Red, Samba, VSC, MQTT, ADB - Android Debug Bridge, Log Viewer and TasmoAdmin.
Then supervisor give me an error… something about I have no more spaces on the HD
…I was at about 85-87% od HD.

So here is the problem… I power off the Hass OS VM and I resized the HD from 6 to 10 GB.
And at this point the OS is not started anymore… I take this error:

I restart the Qnap, but nothing…
And I don’t know where to see some other details.

And because I was not happy, I remake all this thinks from begining… using same steps.
HD of 6 GB at start, installed Hass OS VM, installed some apps
and then sized HD again from 6 to 10 GB.
… same error :frowning:

Is there anybody can help me to understand why I can’t resize the Hass OS hard disk please ?

Thanks a lot all.
…and again congratulations !!!

How do you resize you partition?
I once done it and it work easy and great

I just stop the VM, the I go in setting > memory and there I put 10 where now it’s 6

Then I start the VM and boom :frowning:
Is there something else that I must do please ?

Thanks again
Denis

Actually i did same thing…
Maybe just create new VM with 10 gb of disk space and use it?