My way to install HASSIO on QNAP NAS

this is resolved. it’s all about virtio-serial enabling

Hi Guys,

having the same issue as

However, I have enabled Virtio- serial and used Virtio as type with a virtual switch, per Brian’s advise.:

The missing piece tho - in the CD/DVD Rom line in the settings menu, there is NO option / button for insert Guest Tools CD as in most instructions I can find…? Do I even need these tools if they are windows related?

Here is a screen grab from the Qnap site, that shows the button:

Thoughts? Ive trawled through Qnap site trying to figure out why and how this is missing. i’ll be raising a ticket with Qnap in parallel to any response you guys have… Again, guest tools may not be needed?

Jarrod

Hello,
Thanks for the résumé and what about official hassOS VM vs container ?
I just receive my new qnap, i’ll Switch from a rpi3 and i really hesitate… HassOS VM seems more userfriendly than container version (exemple with updates). But container version consume less performance ? I’m confuses if someone Can guide me :crossed_fingers:

(Qnap 251d with 8go ram)

In the end I went with the HassOS VM route.

QNAP box => Virtualization Station => use the official HassOS VM

My QNAP box is a 253D, and I gave just 1GB of RAM to the HassOS VM, and has not noticed any performance hit.

So yes, going VM route would consume more resources than container route, but (in my case) I can live with the tax and enjoy the user-friendliness from HassOS.

1 Like

Have you checked how much RAM is required to run a virtualization station?

*just only one VM with hassio is running

I have only got one VM. So just to leave a data point here for future reference:

This is from the Resource Monitor:

And this is from the VS3:

Now, if I power off my HassOS VM:

Don’t know how you could disable VS3 entirely short of uninstalling VS3. So I’d stop here.
Not running Container Station either so cannot really compare. I hope someone else could follow up, in case we really need to find the answer.

But HassOS VM under VS3 is good enough and painless enough for me.

This is a brilliant answer. I got all that to run by fixing some issues with DNS container and HA container, but my networking is still pooched so no container can talk to other containers. Still have to figure that one out. Regardless, this almost gets me to where I need to be so I just wanted to thank you since I have never seen this method mentioned anywhere else.

does this method work for you?
have you made changes to the ssh command?
I can’r install containers such way.

Hi there all,
I just installed the Hass OS in my Qnap 882 using the OVA image
It was installed in 10 secs :slight_smile:

But first os all… now my Hass OS with about 6-8 Add-on have a restart in just 11 sec :slight_smile:
Grate grate story !!! so THANKS A LOT TO ALL DEVELOPERS !!!.

So i have installed Hass OS in a 6 GB hard disk image and after installation,
I remember it was about at 20% of HD

Then I installed some apps:
Node-Red, Samba, VSC, MQTT, ADB - Android Debug Bridge, Log Viewer and TasmoAdmin.
Then supervisor give me an error… something about I have no more spaces on the HD
…I was at about 85-87% od HD.

So here is the problem… I power off the Hass OS VM and I resized the HD from 6 to 10 GB.
And at this point the OS is not started anymore… I take this error:

I restart the Qnap, but nothing…
And I don’t know where to see some other details.

And because I was not happy, I remake all this thinks from begining… using same steps.
HD of 6 GB at start, installed Hass OS VM, installed some apps
and then sized HD again from 6 to 10 GB.
… same error :frowning:

Is there anybody can help me to understand why I can’t resize the Hass OS hard disk please ?

Thanks a lot all.
…and again congratulations !!!

How do you resize you partition?
I once done it and it work easy and great

I just stop the VM, the I go in setting > memory and there I put 10 where now it’s 6

Then I start the VM and boom :frowning:
Is there something else that I must do please ?

Thanks again
Denis

Actually i did same thing…
Maybe just create new VM with 10 gb of disk space and use it?

I understand now… just take off the writeback and let none
and at this point it let you to resize the HD.
Don’t ask me why :slight_smile:

Then after resize, just put back writeback
All ok now :slight_smile:
Denis

Hope you dont mind me jumping on this thread to ask for some help but struggling to fix my setup. Ive has HASSIO running on VM on my qnap 251 since april without many issues until this morning. It wont boot up, sits there showing " Shell> " . When i reboot i get a brief glimpse of something saying "BdsDxe failed to load Boot0002. Now im sure i can create a new VM but ive lost my configuration which has taken me months to sort. I have a copy of the latest config.yaml but is there anyway i can either get it to reboot or find a way of retrieving files from the installation that wont boot that i can drop into a fresh install. Any help much appreciated

Hej,

also trying to get this working, can you share your improvements? as I get stuck on 4 containers now…

This is the setup I had once I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.4 I kept getting the message that I am running an “Unsupported Installation” Are you getting this message?

I am exploring the debian route, since debian seems to be the offical supported linux version that can run home assistant in supervised mode. Currently I am able to run debian 10, ubuntu 20.4. with hass os in supervised mode. I am finding that home assistant is not auto starting. Working on figuring that out.

Hello everyone! I have tried to install HA in Container Station, where I got the HA Core to work with my laptop inside my home network (behind NAT). Then I installed the OVA version in Virtualization Station to access Hassio/HA Supervisor edition. I setup Virtio for Network setting like you suggested. Everything installs just fine and I get to CLI and I can log in to HA. But I cannot connect to the GUI version in port 8123 with my laptop. Inside HA CLI, I give command “core info” and it says the IP is 172.30.32.1 but my QNAP is on 192.168.0.3 inside my home network. I also cannot see the IP (same problem as Bryan) under the Virtualization settings.

Edit: quick answer to myself. I tried to go to URL http://homeassistant.local:8123 and it worked! I used “tracert homeassistant.local” in my Windows CMD and found out the IP is 192.168.0.11:8123 for some reason. Awesome. Hope everything works now … :smiley:

(You might have known this already but) FWIW, one could probably also get the IP of your HA instance from your router, usually under DHCP section.

Hi

Has anyone created/installed HASSIO via the container station APi ?

http://qnap-dev.github.io/container-station-api/container.html#create-a-container

It seems straight forward-ish. I’m doing some testing at the moment with another Docker image, but I’m getting stuck on the network settings ?

I’ve put in this, so it uses ‘bridge’

"network": {
            "mode": "bridge",
			"join": true
        },

But I’m getting the following error message

{
  "error": {
    "code": 400, 
    "message": "get network setting failed"
  }
}

I create my dockers through portainer, als much easier to update them… but only HA in this case and not Hassio