MyAir AC Zoning System, climate and Room Association for Components

Yeah Advantage Air @Brett_Adams.

2020-11-10 18:35:09 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.advantage_air] Error fetching Advantage Air data: No valid response after 5 failed attempts. Last error was:

OK issue logged - https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/43061

@Brett_Adams looks like fix is commited and testing shows everything all good, no more unavailable! Good work :smile:

A quick quesiton - in the fix, you mention “Advantage Air retry limit for older systems”. Can you elaborate on what you mean by “older systems”? Mine is a new install, so would be good to know if they’ve given me some old stock!

Ok that may be a bad assumption on my behalf. “Slower” systems. My e-zone system takes less than a second for changes usually.

2 Likes

Just moved into our new house with MyPlace, so glad to see an integration that worked right off the bat, was wondering how difficult it would be to add the lights and buttons to this?

Honestly not too difficult. I certainly could try add this for you if you send me your output from the API
http://ipaddress:2025/getSystemData

1 Like

The advanatage air integration has the option to define a “MYZONE”. Setting this updates the core set point I think.

1 Like

Good idea posting here @Narimm, I’ll take a look at implementing this tomorrow.

@Brett_Adams Loving the integration with my eZone but am experiencing a strange issue with turning it on and off via HomeKit. If I turn use the AC tile in HomeKit and move it from off to cool it turns on as expected, if I do the same and move it from cool to off it turns off as expected. Same if I ask Siri to turn it on or off. The strange part is if I store this on or off in a scene it won’t turn it on or off. Any ideas why this might be happening? I’m trying to automate turning it off in my leave home scene but the second I add it to a scene it stops working and the only way to turn it off is manually or to ask Siri.

Yeah Andy I have no idea. I assume the HomeKit scenes can control other Home Assistant things correctly?

@Brett_Adams Everything working as expected, thanks so much for your contribution.

Question for you, Myplace have introduced “myauto”. Any idea how to implement this as an option in the Operations section?

I believe this is only available for systems that have thermostats for each zone.

Cheers

If you private message me the output of http://<ip_address>:2025/getSystemData with the setting on and off, I’ll add a switch entity or similar.

Been using this integration for a while now, works really well so shout out to @Brett_Adams

Just seeing if anyone out there has the ezone system without RF sensors and has been able to use external temp sensors to mimic Advantage Air’s own temp sensor logic to autmatically control temperatures in each zone using the dampers?

I.e. assign an external temperature sensor (e.g. Xiaomi) to each zone, have temperature selectors for each zone (instead of controlled covers), and then tie it to the Advanage Air system through some scripting?

I’ve got some basic automations setting covers or ac on/off overnight, but these are triggers for temp ranges and are not very “smart” for granular zone control. Would be great to be able to set zone temps through a card and have the dampers do all the work.

Thanks for the kind words @Tockers.

So I also have an e-zone system without temperature sensors and contacted Advantage Air to see if their DIY sensor install would work on my system, but apparently I would need an upgrade eZone control box first, which I was quoted $685, and then $74 for each sensor/zone. At $1128, I wanted to try DIY it first.

So using a bunch of ESPHome devices I already had with temp sensors, I couldn’t figure out a good solution using Automations, so setup NodeRed. My logic is as such:

1. Subscribe to every entity with temperature in its name
  2. Get the climate entity state but only if its cool or heat
  3. Split the path for each zone cover to temperature mapping
  4. Check if that specific zone cover entity is open
  5. Run a javascript code block to calculate the temperature difference between what is set and what is recorded. If its under, open the cover by 5% per 1°C, if its over close it by 5% per 1°C

This system isn’t perfect, but it works well enough to keep my rooms from overheating/overcooling due to their distance from the air return.

msg.temp_prev = msg.data.old_state.state
msg.temp_curr = msg.data.new_state.state

msg.delta = msg.payload - msg.climate.attributes.temperature
msg.change = msg.delta * 5
if(msg.mode=="heat"){
    msg.change = -msg.change
}
msg.position = Math.round(msg.cover.attributes.current_position + msg.change)
msg.position =  Math.min(Math.max(msg.position,5),100)

msg.data = {"entity_id": msg.cover.entity_id, "position": msg.position}
return msg;
2 Likes

Awesome, thanks again @Brett_Adams, time to learn Node-RED :sweat_smile:

Are you using this to set temps via a HA climate card? Or just to modulate temperatures once they are where you want them?

So I just ensure the temperature in the room is what I set my climate entity to. I probably could use input numbers to have a per room target temp and try fully replicate the MyAir/MyZone type automation.

Set up some input numbers and split out the switching, now have zone-based temp inputs that will regulate the ducting dampers and some entity buttons to open/close zones as needed. Thanks for the help @Brett_Adams!

(If i was better at CSS/styling, the temp selectors card would be more compact/less dead space!)

I am hoping to get a MyAir system added to my ducted system in the next month or so… thanks to this thread for giving me confidence with the HA integration - Thanks @Brett_Adams for your work!
I am just deciding which system to get.

@Tockers would you recommend the ezone system? I am also keen to use 3rd party temp sensors. Your card looks like what I am after, does the middle section let you turn zones on/off?
Or does it just tell you when the zone it open/closed based on your temp inputs?

Do you have the android tablet from myAir? Do you use it for HA dashboard also?

I would definitely recommend getting temperature sensors in every zone. You probably don’t need the extra MyAir smart features because you could replicate them in home assistant.

Thanks, so go 3rd party sensors instead of MyAir sensors?

Yes, have found the ezone system to be really good. My house struggles a bit in the common zone (hallway) as it is leaky and uninsulated but otherwise the ezone system itself works really well. As @Brett_Adams has mentioned, HA can be configured to save you the $$$ you would otherwise spend on ezone temp sensors if you wanted to use cheaper/3rd party sensors. But all-in-one ezone with integrated individual zone temp sets also has its benefits for ease of use.

Yes that middle section of my card is set to toggle zones on or off and show what is open/closed, then the NodeRed config works with the temperature input settings to regulate the zone dampers building on @Brett_Adams hard work.

I have the ezone tablet mounted in the hallway and I have HA, solar monitoring, ezone, etc. installed on it but I rarely use it. I have HA on my mobile and laptop which are generally always on hand, and at some stage I’ll get around to having a permanent tablet setup in the living area.