Nabu Casa not available error from Google Home

Just figured I’d throw my note in here that I too am having this same exact issue. The command always ends up working, but Google seems to time out before it gets whatever response it is looking for. Seems like the frequency it occurs at has increased noticably in the last month or two, too.

I get this ALL THE TIME. The commands work and stuff gets turned on and off, but it is really annoying.

1 Like

I have been getting this way more frequently. What i am also noticing is that it only happens with certain device more often than others.

This becomes a nuisance as i try to control lights using the Google Display (ie. touch screen to adjust dim), but because it errors out, i am not able to contorl the lights from the Hub. However via voice it works but still reports not being able to connect.

I’ve been having the same issue which was getting more and more annoying… suspect it has to do with IPV6 though. Although IPV6 is set up on my network without errors as far as I’m aware (pass all IPV6 tests, no issues in the firewall log) this particular connection didnt seem to be too happy with it.

Before disabling IPV6 (fully, in grub.conf) on my home assistant host: commands worked but with a 3-4 second delay and often the ‘could not reach the cloud by nabu casa’ remark by the google home device after successfully executing the command.

After disabling IPV6 fully on the home assistant server… sub second response times and no errors any more. Hope this helps someone that has the same issue… couldn’t find anything else on the network level that could cause this so a bit weird / can’t really explain it but it does work without issues ever since.

edit: just to be a bit more specific… I only disabled IPV6 on the host running home assistant (ubuntu VM on vmware), the rest of the network, including the google home devices still has IPV6 access and is working without issues using IPV6… so the only connection that seemed to have issues with the IPV6 is HA → nabu casa.

1 Like

Yeah it’s outlined on the Troubleshooting (nabucasa.com) page, under “Unable to reach the Home Assistant Cloud”

For me it improved but hasn’t completely resolved it. Still get the feedback like every other day.

1 Like

Exact same scenario. I disabled IPv6 via the instructions from within Supervisor, and issues persisted.

Perhaps I’ll try a complete disable of IPv6 within the network.

Super annoying to have to yell OK GOOGLE SHUT UP to kill the failure response AFTER the command has completed. I’d rather just get a ding or a buzz, that’s enough feedback for Fs sake.

I have been having this same problem & yesterday I disabled IPv6 as per RickKramer’s post and so far it seems to have worked for the past 24 hours.

I disabled ipv6, but not helped.

I described the same problem in another thread and opened a ticket yesterday. Here’s the response:

1 Like

Thank you for this recommendation! It’s only been 1 day since I disabled IPv6 on HA, but I haven’t gotten the “Home Assistant Cloud from Nabu Casa is not available” once since. My lights seem to be responding noticeably faster too now. This issue has been happening for a few months now, but only started becoming a bigger pain more recently.

Background - I run my HA as a Hyper-V VM and my Google Wifi router has IPv6 disabled. I noticed some of the other posts/threads out there, reporting this issue, said they too were running HA on a VM. The Troubleshooting link for “Unable to reach the Home Assistant Cloud” mentioned that “This issue often affects VM installations”. Interesting.

I am having the same issue. looks like it’s related to high loads on their cloud service

Same issue here. It’s very annoying and my wife keeps complaining about it. Hopefully with the update mentioned earlier in the thread this can alleviate some of the issues.

@Eyal_Halfon and @zapp7,
Did you both try disabling IPv6 on your Home Assistant? Directions are under “Unable to reach the Home Assistant Cloud” at Troubleshooting (nabucasa.com). I’ve not had the issue since disabling IPv6 on my HA VM.

@smoke.007
Yes, unfortunately disabling IPv6 has had no discernible effect. I’m running Hassio on a Raspberry Pi (not VM) so perhaps that’s the difference?

I tried it, it didn’t solved the issue.
I have disabled it from the UI and the nmcli command rebooted and the issue still exists.
Most of the time it happens every second or third command from google home. Anyone have another solution?

@zapp7 and @Eyal_Halfon,
I only disabled IPv6 from the GUI, but it has completely resolved my issue on my HA VM. If either of you are running your HA over wifi, have you tried hardwiring it and disabling wifi on HA to see if that might be introducing a little latency that might be causing the issue, if this is related to a network timeout issue…

That was my theory about my HA, that it was trying IPv6 first, then falling back to IPv4. If a network timeout was the cause for the issue, it would make sense why the issue didn’t always happen, if I was right on the threshold of it timing out and giving me the error. Anytime I got the error about not being able to reach Nabu Casa, my devices would still change state as they were supposed to.

It feels like a network timeout threshold, that triggers that Nabu Casa error, needs to be adjusted somewhere in the code. That’s just my guess though.

My HA is on a Pi that is hardwired and still has the issue.

Same problem here :frowning:

HASSOS on esx vmware ( in same vlan as google home mini’s)

Disabled IPv6 2x as descriped in the Nabu Casa FAQ but google home is still driving me crazy with this stupid messages…

1 Like

I’m not sure this is entirely the fault of the Google service. I experienced events in this order:

1. “Hey Google, lights on”
  2. Google assistant: “The home assistant cloud by nabu casa is unavailable”
  3. Grumble. Log into HA using the home assistant mobile app on my phone.
  4. App fails to connect to HA.
  5. Lights turn on.
  6. HA app connects successfully around same time as lights turn on.

Could it be that HA is just hanging periodically? I checked my HA logs and there is nothing out of the ordinary…

1 Like

Disabling ipv6 seems to have fixed the problem for me, although it’s only been a couple of days. Disabling it via the HA configuration screen didn’t seem to work though as it would always be back to dhcp after a reboot. I’m running on Debian and disabling it manually at the host layer seems to have worked.