Nanoleaf Aurora Component

As far as I know there isn’t yet a hass.io addon. If the component gets to a feature complete state @Software2 has expressed interest in making a pull request to add it to the release version of home assistant. At the moment it’s just in a testing stage.

Hey @Software2,

Thank you so much for creating the Component and the python wrapper!
I’d like to take your component and push this into Home Assistant proper so that everyone can benefit from your work. Would it be OK with you if I continue with your work and create a PR for the Home Assistant repo?
(Albeit with several changes which I think make the Aurora component even better, see https://github.com/Oro/home-assistant/tree/light-aurora )

Cheers
Marco

5 Likes

homeassistant) homeassistant@lxc-hass:/root$ pip install nanoleaf --upgrade
Collecting nanoleaf
Downloading nanoleaf-0.4.1-py3-none-any.whl
Requirement already up-to-date: requests in /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from nanoleaf)
Requirement already up-to-date: chardet<3.1.0,>=3.0.2 in /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from requests->nanoleaf)
Requirement already up-to-date: certifi>=2017.4.17 in /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from requests->nanoleaf)
Requirement already up-to-date: urllib3<1.23,>=1.21.1 in /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from requests->nanoleaf)
Requirement already up-to-date: idna<2.7,>=2.5 in /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from requests->nanoleaf)
Installing collected packages: nanoleaf
Successfully installed nanoleaf-0.4.1

That is not on a hass.io installation, is it?

I’m interested in getting this to work on my hass.io installation.

@Oro will you open a PR for this?

I’ve opened up the PR, thanks for the push :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for great work, unfortunately upgrading to 0.66 seems to break this custom component?

It probably fails with something like

ImportError: cannot import name ‘SUPPORT_RGB_COLOR’

That was a change in 0.66 that is already reflected in my pull request, could you please try aurora.py from Add support for Nanoleaf Aurora Light Panels by Oro · Pull Request #13456 · home-assistant/core · GitHub ?

1 Like

Works, thank you! Great work!
(please note, change in config-file from api_key to token, I missed it first)

1 Like

Looking forward tor integration into HAAS! I have two of these and looking forward to start building automations with these lights from HAAS.

Have a look at my how-to to get Aurora Nanoleaf working in hass.io. NB! This will be redundant as soon as this PR is merged. But if you are impatient :slight_smile:

Hi all. Im still waiting my light set but I’m already excited to implement this component.one question left… I saw options of effects …but I can’t find anything in the component docs. Could you please add all configuration variables yo the docs?

It looks like the PR made it into the 0.67 RC.

1 Like

Yeah but no effects config visible … I need those or can I use origin custom component configuration?

Not sure if I fully understand what you are missing, but when you have the Nanoleaf Aurora configured, it will show up like this in Home Assistant:

Then you can choose the desired effects in the dropdown list or change it in eg. scenes:

light.aurora:
  state: on
  brightness: 204
  effect: Vintage Modern

I don’t know if this answered your question? Let me know if it was something completely different you ment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this fullyy answered my question. Thanks 1000 times … now waiting the paket with nanoleaf here :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks like in the nanoleaf app we have a beta option to use a motion sensor for controlling the lights. Is it possible to expose this as a sensor in HASS? I’d personally love to use it for room presence as I don’t have another motion sensor in the office yet. Two birds one stone kinda deal if this will work.

From what I can gather the API does not yet expose the motion sensor data.
Once it’s available though I’ll probably have a look at it, this could be awesome functionality

FYI: I had to rename the platform from aurora to nanoleaf_aurora to not clash with the existing aurora binary sensor – meaning that once 0.67 hits, if you’re already using a custom component and want to switch to the new one, you’ll have to change from api_key to token and from platform: aurora to platform: nanoleaf_aurora
See https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/13831

2 Likes