NAS mount on HASS OS

I completely agree. My NAS server is a lot slower then my HA server and would love to run jellyfin, plex and other stuff on my HA instance instead as running it in synology.

2 Likes

It’s amazing that this isn’t possible. Why even have a Plex add-on without this ability. Seems like a massive oversight.

4 Likes

This is my use case as well, very similar to bjornb & others… I spent a couple of days / late nights trying to figure out how I might achieve something like this before I finally gave up.

• I want to use my QNAP NAS to serve my media files, but I want the frontend to run from Home Assistant OS on my Raspberry Pi
  • I also would like to store cam recordings, system backups, etc. directly on the NAS
5 Likes

I would love to see this implemented too.

1 Like

Lets go baby, more votes <3

1 Like

Being able to save / record to a network share would really be a smart choice.
I like that motionEye can record to network drive already but Frigate can’t for example and this is where an option like this would be very very useful :slight_smile:
Many thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Agreed, adding a network share right now is way too complicated for normal users

3 Likes

Also supporting this feature request. Not being able to mount a network drive is very restrictive and limiting.

2 Likes

I vote for this as well. I’ve been at this for close to 3 days now trying to mount a drive and NOTHING has worked. Adding a network file share in Windows is super simple & straight forward.

This should have been implemented BEFORE the new media browser.

Not everyone wants all their media on the same machine as their HASS OS.

4 Likes

I venture that “not everyone” is in reality “hardly anyone”.
Up-voting this feature request. It is a logical next step for media as well as storage of backups, etc…

4 Likes

Incredible that this doesn’t work. It’s a standard feature of any OS.
I’ve been tearing my hair out for 2 days over this, so I hope they include this in one of the coming updates.

2 Likes

Yes. I also have tried quite a few evenings with so many different shell commands. Some of them actually created a share, but even with permissions right I couldn’t read, let alone write.

Hopefully this feature will be implemented soon as it’s basic Linux.

3 Likes

Upvoting this as it’s a basic feature that should be easily implemented.
The use for this is also extensive: Plex libraries, NVR storage, media storage for use in automations, backup storage, …
Especially with people running HA on Raspberry Pi it’s a very welcome addition.
Personally, my NAS hasn’t the performance to run Plex transcoding, but the NUC that I run HA on has plenty. Only, I can’t put a 4TB SSD in that hardware…

2 Likes

Sooooo… with the 2022.3 release there is an auto discover DLNA integration.

It’s a great first step. But I still think think creating a method by which users can mount a network drive for other files is something worthwhile.

3 Likes

Please, make this possible! How come this isn’t working already??

1 Like

I would highly support this feature, the ability of using external storage is also needed if we would like to export historical data and train some ML model.

2 Likes

@frenck, do you know is there any work track including the above feature in the future?

Thanks in advance

Until there is an official implementation of some kind, are there any good workarounds to mount an NFS or CIFS/SMB share to the media folder currently for Home Assistant Operating System? I have seen many posts recommending something like this:

shell_command:
  map_nas_folder: mount -t cifs -o username=<user>,password=<pw>,domain=WORKGROUP //<ip>/Media /media/<name>

But I just get a Permission denied error. So I guess I am wondering:

1. Is this error is expected for HA OS? If not, maybe I have done something wrong.

2. Is there is some other method that actually works?

I think this shell command is only mounting for a specific container not for whole OS. So the only solution from what i know is my solution on top of this FR. Everything else is from what i can see harder or impossible to do. I might be wrong. Nevertheless i have 2 HAOSes and using my script fine for the whole time.