NAS mount on HASS OS

After a bit more searching, I came across this, which seems to work so far:

Not an ideal solution, but it gets the job done, until there is an official implementation.

2 Likes

Do you have access to the NAS from the media tab?

Yes. I just have to restart HA (not the host system) after mounting it on the host. This can still be automated, so it is fine for me. If I can figure out how to make it mount from the host system before HA is started on boot, it would be even better, but it is simple enough for now.

This option is really necessary especially since HA added a lot of media functions and should be simple to connect a USB stick and play local media from there, even for simple file transfer or backup restore.

1 Like

Word of warning if using this workaround to mount a NAS to your Media folder: don’t run a full backup, as this will attempt to backup your entire NAS :man_facepalming:

xD didn’t realise that. I never do full backup as i have proxmox host above it and doing backup of VM there :smiley:

i want to be able to backup to my nas, not a cloud based google drive

1 Like

another upvote. My use case - plex and motioneye (nvr) would be better running within hassos on that box rather than my xeon server (without quicksync). … perhaps the best solution for me is proxmox, but would love to see disks mountable even for saving backups directly to NAS

Yeah, would love this function on HASSOS.

Been researching all of this for a few days - blows my mind that there isn’t some way to do this, even if the solution is a bit technical. Seems obvious that large data files should be able to offboarded when the standard hardware is a little RPI. And many of us have that booting from an SD card as suggested.

2 Likes

While no expert, the solution seems to be root access to HAOS, which can be achieved by an available custom addon, plus an automation and a shell script.
I will experiment over the next weeks and report my findings.

I, too, am extremely frustrated by this most basic lack of amenity with add-ons that demand this facility.

2 Likes

Been there, not possible. Waiting for your findings :>

Even better than copying backups and other large files off-board would be never to create them locally in the first place. Especially in the case of an SD card running HA. But even if you had an SSD or hard drive, a backup is useless on the drive that you’re trying to restore.

I did submit a Feature Request suggesting this. Please up-vote if you agree. Obviously that FR would be much easier to implement if this one was implemented, first.

1 Like

For backups I use Samba Backup add-on, it can copy and maintain backups on external nas (hassio-addons/samba-backup at master ¡ thomasmauerer/hassio-addons ¡ GitHub).
Still I’d love to see possibility to access nas natively by HA for other add-ons(i.e. Plex, Motioneye) and handling other big files or use HA media functionality

The Samba Backup add-on is great, but as I mentioned above, it does not resolve the issue this FR addresses.

Specifically talking about backups, we shouldn’t need to copy them to external storage. We should be able to create them there in the first place. Maybe if this FR were implemented, that could happen.

I’m sorry this post is repetitive, but I don’t want anyone to think that copying backups around is a solution. At best it’s a workaround, and for anyone running off an SD card, it makes the system less reliable.

IIRC, A dev attempted to add this during the month of wth and ran into unforeseen issues that basically put a halt to the development. From what I remember, there isn’t a one size fits all solution to this problem. The likelihood of it getting added is low because of that issue.

EDIT: Found the PR, looks like I remembered wrong, however the work has gone stale.

@petro Thank you for update, this seems that i need to find time and make automatic iso…

I am now working on new automated iso with script that will take fstab file from custom_components folder and copy it to squashedfs Home assistant. It will be very easy process. Logging will be also saved to custom_components. Will updated info here and on github.

Enjoy new tutorial and new automated image. Tested on latest HA, working perfectly.
Feel free to report problems.

Just to be clear, the above doesn’t work with the “recommended” HA OS installation method as described here, correct?

If I’m reading this correctly, it won’t allow me to mount an SMB share from an external NAS on my RPi running HA OS (and nothing else.) So it seems this would be a great workaround for some, but alas doesn’t really address the original issue for everyone. Or did I miss something?