Need help flash tasmota ota to tuya plug

I have a Aldi medion plug. I am trying to flash tasmota to it so I can interstate it’s into ha without cloud. I have followed the guide by digibul but when I get to the flashing it keeps loading dots and never stops. Any ideas on how to fix or what else I can do?

Thanks for any help.

Got some picture and screen dumps

I don’t know digibuls guide, but my first attempt to flash tuya plugs yesterday failed with the same situation as you described. I succeeded with this one:

ok, ill try that and ihope it works,

thanks
saran

one more thing do you know if you can get tuya convert to work with smart plugs that create there own AP to connect to them set the device up

thanks

I’m sure, tuya-convert works with plugs of this kind. But I did not investigate any further – just plugged in the plugs and called the ./start_flash.sh script.

nope i have tried again and it doesnt work . just keeps loading dots and doesnt do anything.
can you intergrate a tuya plug to ha via a lan connection, if so how?

Thanks
Saran

What a pity! I also had a tail -f scripts/*.log (IIRC) to follow what was going on during flashing. Maybe you can see anything helpful there.

Another explanation could be, that you have devices of a newer hardware revision. Then I’m afraid, it is currently impossible to flash them with tuya-convert.

Do your plugs have a lan socket?

no only wifi
Thanks for the help, is there any other way i can intergrate my plugs in to HA locally

thanks
saran

also how long does it take for the flashing process?

The flashing process does not last one minute. If you see the dots only, I don’t think tuya-convert works for you.

You then might try using the manufacturer software and integrate your plugs to HA via IFTTT (though using internet then). But I don’t have any experience in that, sorry.

You can always open it and flash it with a FTDI-adapter

Yeah I can do that but I’m not confident, like what pins you need? What happens if it fails and things like that. If you could help me that would be awesome!

Thanks
Saran

You first may try to open the case. Then you get some information about the hardware revision also.

Make some pictures from the inside. Just telling it is an Aldi plug does not give enough information.

It looks like someone has successfully put Tasmota on it - so I would say it is probably very similar to many other plugs once you open it.

If you take a look around the Tasmota site you’ll probably find another plug with similar if not exactly the same innards. The template also lists what GPIO’s go to each sensor.

As far as flashing, you often times can find GND, 3.3v, TX, RX and some way of grounding GPIO0 printed on the board somewhere. Again, if you can’t get Tuya-convert to work, open it up and look through images on Tasmota site to find another with the same guts.

Alternatively, open it, take some pictures and post them here - LOTS of intelligent, experienced, helpful people on this forum. They are awesome :wink: .

Cheers!
DeadEnd

Quick follow up, this forum post:
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/407287?page=2
has a long conversation about it.
In there they suggest that the Teckin module in Tasmota matches it… but there are two, sp10 and sp22.
The SP10 is round the SP22 is square"ish" - so I expect they mean the SP22.

Here is a link to the SP22 details - I expect the inside of your plug will look like this.

FYI - there is a note that Recent versions of the Teckin SP22 have been redesigned with a Tuya WR2 Wi-Fi module based on the Realtek RTL8710BN. Since these are not ESP82xx based, Tasmota will not function on this newer version of the device.

So if you open it up and the wifi board is NOT an ESP8266 you won’t be able to flash it.

Cheers!
DeadEnd

Hi @Trilex, I had a similar problem, the factory firmware is tuya-convert resistant… you might have to open it up and solder cables. I did it for a tuya plug here.