Need some help getting my Insteon devices as entities in Home Assistant / Node Red Rpi

I’m in the process of replacing HomeSeer Rpi/Insteon with Home Assistant / Node Red /Rpi /Shelly.

I’ve got HA to recognise the Insteon 2423U PLM as an entity but not sure where to begin to get my Insteon Devices into entities for HA/Node Red. I’ve read it’s possible and searched for quite some time but nothing explaining this. No problem getting Shelly devices recognised.

I don’t really have any scripting or CLI experience so I can really only fo so when the it can’t be done in the GUI.

Any help getting started would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have you installed the Insteon integration? Once this is installed the Insteon integration will identify the devices linked to your PLM and create the HA entities.

Thanks for this. So the integration found the 2314U PLM and the PLM just shows as one entity. It’s a spare PLM (I still have Homeseer Rpi running with my original PLM) so I don’t believe there are any links to it. How do you create the links? Can the integration somehow put it into linking mode to tap add or do I manually do it with the button on the PLM and each insteon device?

Yes you can do this via the integration and you don’t need to push any buttons if the device supports remote linking. Albeit, most devices do not support this option. To link a device to the modem do the following:

1. Click the Insteon panel in the sidebar
  2. Press the “Add device” button (+) in the lower right corner
  3. Fill in the fields as required. You can add one device at a time using the device address. This will attempt to put that device into linking mode. If the device does not respond to this request you need to press the device’s set button

It worked! So it was that easy!

I tried the config option in the Insteon card in the Devices & Services card but it didn’t accept the Insteon device address. The plus sign in the lower right of the Insteon panel was scrolled off the screen so i didn’t see it or know to look for it. No where in the docs or communities could I find what you just told me.

Now I’ll be able to say goodbye to HomeSeer once and for all and free up the Rpi 4 2gb to run HA (I’m currently running it on an Rpi3B 1gb). Another HA breakthrough today!!

Thanks very much!

1 Like

What browser are you using because the add device button should be pinned to the lower right corner regardless of the browser window.

1 Like

Chrome on my Mac. It was my fault I had a few windows open and had my HA browser window slid down the desktop so the bottom of the windows was off the screen.

1 Like