Neo Coolcam PIR

Has anyone managed to use the Chinese Neo Coolcam PIR sensor? I bought one a while ago and received last week. I can include it into HASS and get six variables:

pir:
name: 'Motion'
  entities:
    - sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_sourcenodeid_8_2
    - sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_burglar_8_10
    - sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_luminance_8_3
    - sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_alarm_level_8_1
    - sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_alarm_type_8_0
    - sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_battery_level_8_0

But which one should I use to trigger an automation based on movement? It’s quite obvious that it’s not luminance and battery_level but I cant see that either of the other four ever change value? From the log file:

Mar 26 22:24:43 homeassistant hass[3474]: INFO:homeassistant.core:Bus:Handling <Event state_changed[L]: new_state=<state sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_alarm_type_8_0=0; battery_level=100, wake_up_interval=43200, friendly_name=Neo CoolCam Battery Powered PIR Sensor Alarm Type, node_id=8 @ 2017-03-26T22:24:43.552369+02:00>, entity_id=sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_alarm_type_8_0, old_state=<state sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_alarm_type_8_0=0; battery_level=100, wake_up_interval=43200, friendly_name=Neo CoolCam Battery Powered PIR Sensor Alarm Type, node_id=8 @ 2017-03-26T22:24:35.044571+02:00>>
Mar 26 22:24:43 homeassistant hass[3474]: INFO:homeassistant.core:Bus:Handling <Event state_changed[L]: new_state=<state sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_alarm_level_8_1=0; battery_level=100, wake_up_interval=43200, friendly_name=Neo CoolCam Battery Powered PIR Sensor Alarm Level, node_id=8 @ 2017-03-26T22:24:43.556586+02:00>, entity_id=sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_alarm_level_8_1, old_state=<state sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_alarm_level_8_1=0; battery_level=100, wake_up_interval=43200, friendly_name=Neo CoolCam Battery Powered PIR Sensor Alarm Level, node_id=8 @ 2017-03-26T22:24:35.048991+02:00>>
Mar 26 22:24:43 homeassistant hass[3474]: INFO:homeassistant.core:Bus:Handling <Event state_changed[L]: new_state=<state sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_sourcenodeid_8_2=0; battery_level=100, wake_up_interval=43200, friendly_name=Neo CoolCam Battery Powered PIR Sensor SourceNodeId, node_id=8 @ 2017-03-26T22:24:43.565034+02:00>, entity_id=sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_sourcenodeid_8_2, old_state=<state sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_sourcenodeid_8_2=0; battery_level=100, wake_up_interval=43200, friendly_name=Neo CoolCam Battery Powered PIR Sensor SourceNodeId, node_id=8 @ 2017-03-26T22:24:35.056933+02:00>>
Mar 26 22:24:43 homeassistant hass[3474]: INFO:homeassistant.core:Bus:Handling <Event state_changed[L]: new_state=<state sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_burglar_8_10=8; battery_level=100, wake_up_interval=43200, friendly_name=Neo CoolCam Battery Powered PIR Sensor Burglar, hidden=True, node_id=8 @ 2017-03-26T22:24:43.570328+02:00>, entity_id=sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_burglar_8_10, old_state=<state sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_burglar_8_10=8; battery_level=100, wake_up_interval=43200, friendly_name=Neo CoolCam Battery Powered PIR Sensor Burglar, hidden=True, node_id=8 @ 2017-03-26T22:24:35.065591+02:00>>

Any suggestions? Someone suggested I use the Burglar property, but I can’t see it ever changes value?

None of these actually. There should be a binary_sensor available which you can use in your automation triggers…
It will switch on when it detects motion.

3 Likes

Morning dudes… i would say your burglar sensor … It will change value to 8 maybe. Just make a movement and observer the burglar sensor :wink:

burglar could be tampering the device? Maybe is alarm level

I was going to buy this product, how do you like it? Where did you buy it?

Cheers @syphernl, I found it! Yesterday evening I found an on/off sensor in the web history page but couldn’t make out the name but with your help I was able to use journalctl and grep to pinpoint the sensor name: binary_sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_sensor_8_0.

Mar 27 12:44:59 homeassistant hass[30559]: INFO:homeassistant.core:Bus:Handling <Event state_changed[L]: entity_id=binary_sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_sensor_8_0, old_state=<state binary_sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_sensor_8_0=on; wake_up_interval=43200, friendly_name=Neo CoolCam Battery Powered PIR Sensor Sensor, battery_level=100, node_id=8 @ 2017-03-27T12:43:02.442901+02:00>, new_state=<state binary_sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_sensor_8_0=off; wake_up_interval=43200, friendly_name=Neo CoolCam Battery Powered PIR Sensor Sensor, battery_level=100, node_id=8 @ 2017-03-27T12:44:59.322953+02:00>>

@thundergreen: I’m not sure there is a tampering alarm on this sensor, the burglar value changes from 0 to 254 to 8 when going from inactive to active to “activated but waiting to time-out” if you get what I mean.

@anon35356645: I bought it from AliExpress about a month ago on one of their sales, I paid about $25 for it. It looks like they’re throwing another sale tomorrow: Neo Coolcam PIR. I haven’t used it properly yet but aside from the problem above to identify the correct value I had no problems including it in my network.

Is the lux value working for you? Which is the correct entity?

Mine seems not to workUploading…Uploading…

Well, I don’t know how accurate it is but it changes over the day as the sun moves from one side of my house to another. My entitiy is called sensor.neo_coolcam_battery_powered_pir_sensor_luminance_8_3.

I can’t upload photos from the phone (a bug of this forum) . Mine is clearly not working … what to do?

That does indeed look weird, unfortunately I don’t have any suggestions. I don’t think I made any changes to the configuration.

This is what it looks like for me :

Can you check in open zwave your values? Mine are

Is LUX LEVEL FUNCTION in enable or disable?

I tried to change the value from disable to enable, but it does not allow me (after I press SUBMIT it goes back in the disabled value). Snapshot is when I tried it, but it is in disabled now

???

Since it’s a battery powered device it may take up to a day for the device to re-connect to the netwerk to refresh its settings.

I believe I had that problem as well. The problem I had is that the sensor only updated the value for lux in case of differences bigger than 100 lux. Which wass not very usefull for me.

After some investigations and walking down the wron path I figured out how to change the setting. You can change the setting using open-zwave console. Which is trickier then it sounds.

The main problem is that the PIR sensor is battery powered. In order not to consume to much energy it is sleeping most of the time. So what I did was
a) Make sure the zwave stick is not in pairing mode
b) Use the button inside the sensor to wake up the sensor. If you click that button three times (as you did while pairing) it sends an information stream to open-zwave.
c) Update the value (for me it was the Basic Set Level) at that very same time (setting it to 5 or 10) then it might update the value. Notice the use of the word ‘might’. Sometimes it changes back to the old value. It took me 15 to 30 minutes of trying this same procedure to actually change the value.
d) before you start home-assistant, restart the open zwave console again and make sure the setting is still changed.

After you succesfully changed the setting you will get updates from the sensor every change of light intensity you set (5 or 10 lux)

1 Like

Thanks.

Do you have the “LUX LEVEL FUNCTION” in enable or disable?

you sure??

That setting is enabled in my configuration

which one, there are two: the one under Lux Level Function Enable:

?

how the **** you changed values, what a complicated way of changing those values. Who designed this ****

Either the hardware or the software (or both) are crap

time to move on: 433 PIR sensor are a no go; this Neo PIR sensor is a no go.

It is the last one, the one on the bottom, between “Lux Level Function Enable” and “Led Blink Enable”. For me it works like a charm. But I have to admit it takes some patience to get it to work.

1 Like