Nest API shutting down on August 31, 2019

Doesn’t seem like you can make brand new dev accounts anymore.

What a joke. This year, they’ve had so many outages of the developer API, and now they’re putting the final nail in the coffin. Thermostat has to go, I ordered a Venstar.

The smoke detectors is a harder thing to deal with - they are functional, but I won’t be able to do any automation on events anymore. I really feel like they owe me a few hundred dollars for basically making all these devices useless to me.

Man… I got the doorbell, some detectors and thermostat. The nest was always getting my recommendations to everyone. Guess that will stop at this point.

I have major automation’s setup around the detector and the doorbell. Looks like Ill be replacing some expensive items in the near future.

Anyone got recommendations on good looking cameras that don’t look like a robot eye attached to the ceiling?

I imagine that given the ability for Google home/assistant to control Home Assistant that once the Nest stuff shows up in there you could then trigger something in HA from Google home when something in Nest happens (i.e. Nest smoke alarm triggered then turn on script in HA etc).

I am so happy I only own an (expensive) thermostat, which I do not necessarily need in Home Assistant (but rather would have). Smoke alarms or a door bell I would most definitely want in HA.
I get why Google does this, but it’s really taking advantage here.

The thermostat works well with HA, but the smoke alarms (protect) and doorbell (hello) are not that good in HA.
The protect will of course allow detection of CO/Smoke events - but by this time your device sirens will be sounding and nest app blowing up. Sadly though the wired version of the protect does not provide the other sensors (light, temp, humidity and presence) to the API (I can forgive this with the battery version for power management, but for wired version…)
AFAIK the hello does not even give event when button is pressed.

Domoticz has 2 Nest implementations. 1 with the official API (which will be retired), but also 1 with an unofficial API (I think it’s the app reverse engineered).
See https://github.com/domoticz/domoticz/blob/development/hardware/Nest.cpp

Also see here

Might that be a way to go?

1 Like

Yeah pretty pissed about this, gonna get me some refunds.

The doorbell is so good though, I’ll miss that the most.

They will have to release some sort of API there are many hardware manufacturers that have built stuff to work explicitly with nest. Things like those smart vents etc. I can see there being some lawsuits unless a new API is opened. Perhaps they will now just be through a google API rather than nest servers. But time will tell. (Since accounts are going to be migrated to google)
For my system as long as I have a way for nest to show my system as home or away I’m set but I do like seeing every5hing in one portal.

I was thinking of buying some additional nest products, look like a dodged a bullet there :slight_smile:

And this is why I avoid cloud only connected products as much as possible ;(

ubiquiti unifi https://unifi-sdn.ui.com/

They will not allow “outside” access to the API. Just like Weather Underground, their new overlords want the $$$ so they’re shutting out all outside access. Another nice system ruined by greed.

Has anyone here started a conversation with nest about a refund? Also, any suggestions on other thermostats, wifi or zwave?

I really hope the backlash to Google is huge here. This is so wrong on so many levels. They are acting like Microsoft in the 90s. Other than Android I think I am done supporting the company. Unfortunately there is not a viable alternative at this time for phones.

1 Like

I doubt Google is going to voluntarily provide any form of refund for any Nest devices. This would probably require legal action unfortunately.

1 Like

I am trying to setup my Nest thermostat with this Unofficial API here.

How do I add this to my configuration.yaml?

The “Unofficial Nest Learning Thermostat API” has nothing to do with HASS project.

You can use this:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/i-made-a-crappy-nest-thermostat-integration-that-will-work-as-a-stopgap-until-alternatives-come-out

@Nath - Thanks. However, I am trying to setup humidity control with this.

It references using the unofficial nest API… so, I suspect there is a way to configure the nest sensors with this API. I might be mistaken…

Oh i see. The OP of this made both things work together thanks to the PHP script. So there is the best place to ask.
Anyway to my understanding (HA novice, not a programmer :nerd_face: ) you have to follow the path structure used by OP, copy the API file and script to one your folders in your HA and edit the “configuration.yaml” for the “changes”.