Nest locks users out of their own data

It was there yesterday.

Oh, I know why. I was using Gravatar thatā€™s based in an email address. I changed my email address to be unique for every site that I register with.

I have a CT80 with zwave control. Works well, but auto-creates four climate entities, heat_normal heat_econ, cool_normal, and cool_econ. Only difference is the default set-points between econ and normal. All other attributes and state values are the same across them all. So, I use the custom:Dual-Thermostat lovelace card to switch between heat_normal and cool_normal climate entities.

I also created two custom sensors, one for Operating Mode and another for Operating State. These are useful for automations, etc. Hereā€™s the code:

#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# custom sensor that tracks the mode set for the HVAC.
# This reports what its set to, not what its doing.
# All of the four CT80 "climate" entities show the same properties
# Use "heating" because its now wintertime, no other reason.
# While the fan could be forced on during non-off modes,
# only report "fan" as mode when system is otherwise off and fan is on.
#
- platform: template
  sensors:
    hallway_hvac_mode:
      friendly_name: 'Hallway HVAC Mode'
      value_template: >-
        {% if is_state('climate.hallway_thermostat_heating_normal', 'heat') %}
           Heat
        {% elif is_state('climate.hallway_thermostat_heating_normal', 'cool') %}
           Cool
        {% elif is_state('climate.hallway_thermostat_heating_normal', 'auto') %}
           Auto
        {% elif is_state('climate.hallway_thermostat_heating_normal', 'off') %}
           {% if is_state_attr('climate.hallway_thermostat_heating_normal', 'fan_state', 'Running') %}
              Fan
           {% elif is_state_attr('climate.hallway_thermostat_heating_normal', 'fan_state', 'Idle') %}
              Off
           {% else %}
              Off-unknown
           {% endif %}
        {% else %}
           On-unknown
        {% endif %}

#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# custom sensor that tracks the operating state of the HVAC.
# This reports what its doing, as opposed to what mode is set.
# Report Fan-only if fan is running and the system is neither
# actively heating or cooling, otherwise its Off.
- platform: template
  sensors:
    hallway_hvac_state:
      friendly_name: 'Hallway HVAC State'
      value_template: >-
        {% if is_state_attr('climate.hallway_thermostat_heating_normal', 'operating_state', 'Heating') %}
           Heating
        {% elif is_state_attr('climate.hallway_thermostat_heating_normal', 'operating_state', 'Cooling') %}
           Cooling
        {% elif is_state_attr('climate.hallway_thermostat_heating_normal', 'fan_state', 'Running') %}
           Fan
        {% elif is_state('climate.hallway_thermostat_heating_normal', 'off') %}
           Off
        {% elif is_state_attr('climate.hallway_thermostat_heating_normal', 'fan_state', 'Idle') %}
           Idle
        {% else %}
           Unknown
        {% endif %}

Oh, also I refresh the status of the thermostat ever five minutes with an automation. Polling only updates the set-point, not all the attributes, or the state.

#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# Refresh thermostat information
#  CT 80 is not good at self updating when its state changes
#   This will refresh every five minutes
#   Note that it takes about 3 seconds for the thermostat
#    to update once requested.
#
- id: 'refresh_thermostat'
  alias: 'Refresh Thermostat Status'
  initial_state: true
  trigger:
    platform: time_pattern
    minutes: '/5'   # e.g., minutes divisible by five
    seconds: '00'   # seconds needed so it doesn't match every second of minutes
  action:
    service: zwave.refresh_node
    data:
       node_id: 3
1 Like

I have just installed a Nest Protect and was dismayed to then see this post.
Anyway Iā€™ve gone through the Developer application process with Nest, and despite also getting the Suspension Message at the top of the page, I was able to proceed with acquiring a Client ID and Secret, and have just completed configuring it in HA.

Happy daysā€¦so far!

1 Like

Where do you see the Client ID and Secret? Iā€™ve looked everywhere. I am wondering if I need to re-sign up new? Only option I have is to ā€œcreate new oauthā€, ā€œupdate my profileā€, ā€œgo to docsā€, and ā€œfeedback.ā€

I really want to get my Nest products integrated.

Like, if someone maybe has the url for the key generating service?

Check my post here: Nest locks users out of their own data
You want to use the ā€œCreate new OAuthā€ button, then follow the docs.

1 Like

@levickij. Very interested in your Wiser integration. I am looking for a control system and was wondering if this system could do the job. Like you I have 8 zones to control and was put-off by the Drayton at a show as they said it can only control three (two heating + plus hotwater). Not sure how we could communicate directly if this is not appropriate to the forum as only just joined but would love to know more and perhaps share you NodeRed data.

When you say zones, the controller has channels/relays to switch open/close a motorized ā€œzoneā€ valve, plus a hot water channel. So depending on which kit you go for, kit 1 is for a combi boiler with single channel, kit 2 has 1 heating channel and 1 hot water channel, or kit 2 has 2 heating channels and a hot water channel. The hub offers multi-zone which is wireless zigbee of individual radiators on top of this, so in addition to the hard wired motorized valve for the zone (say your house is separately zoned circuits for upstairs and downstairs), you then individually control each room radiator to a setpoint/schedule, or if you have multiple radiators, these can be grouped into a room. When the wireless TRV calls for heat the appropriate channel shall drive the zone valve open. As my home only has a single zone heating zone circuit, all radiators shall be on, now with Wiser I can switch the ground floor rooms off and only heat the bedrooms to a setback setpoint during the cold nights.
Look on the Drayton website, it has all the info on configuration there.

Ok, understand thanks. Iā€™m looking for a system to work with Home Assistant that can operate 6 or more zone valves. So putting aside the Drayton control box are you able to interface/connect each Wiser thermostat to Home Assistant so as to allow HA to do the control logic (via the gateway; which I know is in the control box)? It would seem so from the screen picture included in your original post above. have plenty of output control relays (Sonoff/Tasmota) that can be used to control the zone valves. Would be very grateful if you could make a copy of your NodeRed flows available somehow; Github perhaps?

Yes the Heat Hub is a gateway to all the zones/TRVā€™s, these are all accessible to control individually through the API, unfortunately I canā€™t help much at the moment as the Pi is down, I now have a corrupted SD card, used the genuine Pi power supply, and quality branded Samsung Evo SD card recommended on the web, given this has lasted only a few months I am now looking at bringing this back up on a new and more stable platform.

Iā€™m new to home assistant and was shocked to see that integration with nest is no longer available. Iā€™m currently using an ISY994i and have full integration with the use of the Polyglot 2.0 and this integration https://github.com/Einstein42/udi-nest-poly. There is no need for a developer account and it work great. Hopefully someone much smarter than me can determine what method is available and port over to work with Home Assistant.

Thank you for the tip! I was almost thinking to sell my Nest thermostat, but then I read your post and now everything is working! Really appreciate

1 Like

I was able to get a nest developer account a few days ago. Instead of an application theyā€™re OpenAuth clients. You simply follow the instructions as stated in the documentation for setting it up like before. The only issue I ran into was that it wasnā€™t giving me a client secret, only the client id. I waited a day after creating the account, deleted the OpenAuth client in Nest, created a new client and got both pieces. Hooked it all up in Home Assistant and voila.

1 Like

I just tried. This first OAuth client I created have the client secret.

Yeah I may have just caught it at a weird time when they were doing something. The point is it still works so Iā€™m happy lol

Bad bad news folksā€¦ https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/07/google-to-end-works-with-nest/ It seems google is closing nest integrationsā€¦

Well, for our new house I was going to order Nest today, but after seeing that Nest has now closed their APIs I have ordered 3 Ecobees instead. ā€¦and Iā€™ll remove/replace the Nests from our condo if the API access is shut off in the future.

Same here, was thinking of more Nest stuff, other than the thermostat, but waited to see what happens after the scare end of Januari. So f them, Iā€™ll go another route.
Moreover, Iā€™m going to activly start getting rid of google stuff, those dumb chromecasts and assistant are the first to go.

I think this is the replacement https://developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/local-home-sdk

At least for the sending commands to nest part.

That is not a replacement, we sent commend through cloud not local even for now.

The main concern for me, one the maintenancer of python-nest lib, is that we will lost the capability to observe the Nest deviceā€™s state change. We are currently using push mode, any change made in Nest device, such as smoke alert or motion sensor in Cam, nearly ā€œreal-timeā€ reported to HA, I donā€™t think Google will keep that capability.

I have less concern of control part, either go through GA or local home sdk, Google should provide some pathway to allow 3rd party control the thermostat.