New Adaptive Lighting Integration

transition: 0 is not noticable at all, initial_transition: 0 only very rarely

Hi!
Need the community for some shared knowledge:
What are colored zigbee bulbs working well with Adaptive Lightning or Circadian Lightning?

I used some Gledopto bulbs which use seperate colored and white spectrum LEDs. The effect was really good, but the lights itself were really slow, so I changed them for Tradfri colored ones. Unfortunately the colors on these bulbs alwa look of (pinkish instead of yellowish). I found out Ikea colored bulbs odn’t use extra white spectrum LEDs, hence the white spectrum isn’t really great.

So: which colored bulbs are you using? Which bulbs are known to support color AND white spectrum well?

I’ll give this a try - although I do like a transition…

EDIT:
Just tried it - seems to work well! Cheers for the tip!

1 Like

I’m using Yeelight. Although they are wifi, not zigbee they work quite well with HA.
Color are quite intense, only downside being that even at lowest point they are quite bright when compared to Tradfri.

Hi, I wasn’t sure where to post issues and/or feature requests for this integration so I’m doing it here. I’m using it with a Shelly Dimmer and so far love it. However there are 2 issues with it.

• The light will sometimes ‘blink’ as described here.
  • When turning the light on adaptive lighting Adaptive Lighting also immediately sends a brightness update completely canceling the turn on transition (the light instantly turns on). This is really unpleasant. A suggestion I have is to introduce an ‘adapt delay’ that would allow adaptive lighting to adjust a brightness after the transition has finished.
1 Like

It doesn’t cover all possible cases. You are pointing to exierience during daylight, when you can afford initial light brightness. Imagine however how it will work during night. It will turn on to full brightness before being dimmed by adaptive lighting.

Adaptive lighting works with presumption that it must set light attributes as quickly as possible to minimize period when light has wrong brightness. Unfortunately it does that by executing turn on call everytime, instead if setting brightness/warmth. It’s because HA doesn’t provide light “change” service method. It’s known that turn on/off breaks transition in many devices.

TBH I experienced a few “flashes” during the nighttime and nobody convince me that it’s acceptable solution (sending light brightness after intercepting turn on event). It obviously works well with smart bulbs controlled through HA. But it has mentioned downsides in case of hardwired lights.

Anyway, In case of Shelly devices, I suggest to get output of adaptive lighting sensor/switch and send it to your device periodically using http calls or mqtt.

Shellies accept light attributes changes even if light is turned off. Thanks to that you will always turn on the light to expected brightness level / color.

If you decide to go this way, you can check out my attempt for adaptive/circadian lighting. It solves a lot of issues adaptive lighting component has providing fully configurable curves of intensity/warmth changes at the same time: Circadian/Adaptive Lighting NodeRed
I promised article above to @dbrunt. Some parts are still unfinished due to lack of time to finish the article. But main, bigger and most important one incl ready to use code is there.

You’re right, I didn’t think about the night flashes before. Has the light ‘change’ service been confirmed as something that just isn’t happening? I’ve posted on the shelly forum about the broken transition. I do believe the issue lies on their end, as it shouldn’t be difficult to implement properly working transitions even with fast changing states. I’ve got it working in my custom esp controllers somehow :slight_smile:

Didn’t hear about that. I raised this subject several times, but it got no traction. Probably because there is no many brands/devices on the market which support light attributes change other way than calling “turn on” method. I know Shelly (dimmer, rgbw2, bulbs) and some one did mention Lifx. Also considering, the issue doesn’t appear when using smart bulbs, the overall demand might be low.

Yes, what you reported to Shelly might be considered as a “bug”. But even if fixed, you will encounter visible flashes during a night, until you change a way of feeding dimmer with brightness changes. I mean using HTTP or mqtt calls when light is off. It’s because of delay between turning light on using physical switch (which turns to the most recent brightness) and response from HA’s adaptive lighting component.

Yeah, I know why the flashes happen, it’s not really that big of an deal for me with the current setup, but I’ll look into doing it the way you suggested, probably with MQTT. I wasn’t aware of the possibility to update the brightness while the Shelly is off, thanks :smiley:

I tried adaptive lighting and it worked really well except for one small problem…

Where I had a light turned off by an automation such as a motion sensor… every so often it would turn back on again within a min or two… could not find out why, there was nothing in the logbook or the logs

Hi, prob a noob question but I have this installed via hacs, I had heard that a pull request had been made to bring this in as an official integration. Not sure if I have that completely wrong but can anyone confirm and if so what timescale is as I love this.

Here’s the PR into ha-core: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/40626
Looks like all checks have passed. Not sure what the hold up is…
Only those with write access to this repository can merge pull requests.

Hi, I just recently heard about Adaptive Lighting and have been loving it so far. Infinite improvement over my own attempts to automate it. However, I’ve been experiencing some strange fluctuations in the temperature.

I’m using a basic single light bulb at my desk, and I notice in the mornings and (evenings) that as the temperature should gradually increase or (decrease), it has a tendency to make periodic jumps of about 1000K. I turned on the debug log, and noticed a repeating pattern that it updates an incorrect temperature.

Does anyone know what is causing this and how it can be fixed? (Here is a snapshot of the log for those interested :slightly_smiling_face:)

Thanks!

I have setup a few adaptive lighting settings in yaml. These are picked up correctly.
Yesterday I made a change in one of the settings in yaml (changed some lights names), but the changed light names are no longer being picked up by the integration.
I tried completely removing adaptive lighting from the integration. Once reinstalling the same problem persists. I removed the entry from the UI and created the same settings using the front end and it works. Removing the entry, and restarting HA with the yaml settings and again the same problem.

Is this a bug? The workaround is to setup things in the front end, but reading the notes yaml should supersede the settings in the front end.

Setup via yaml is being depreciated more and more. The preferred method for this integration is setup via the frontend. If there is a yaml config, the normal way is that it will be imported one time and ignored after that.

Is there a way to trigger a scene for the nightlight or a colour tone?

After using adaptive lighting for the past few months, I’ve been running into this the past 3 nights. It was constant when I used the circadium rythm integration, and I had understood that adaptive lighting did not suffer from the same. But my living room lights have started turning back on after being turned off.

1 Like

I too have been recently and randomly having the same issue and have been trying to figure out what’s going on inside the machine. I was having trouble a while ago with the two bedroom lamps but the last few weeks it’s been the office lights. I’ve noticed that after this occurs and I enter the room, the light flickers as if it’s quickly being turn off and back on with a transition to its correct brightness.
Are you using Magic Areas?

In AL, what is your initial transition time?
General transition time?
Update frequency?
I was using 2, 30, 60 but have just changed to 0,0,180

Very puzzled by what’s going on…

1 Like

I really like how it works with Hue lights. But I’m missing more customisation. For example it starts lowering brightness too early so my bathroom gets dark when I need to take a shower for example. Is there a way to customize this?

It shouldn’t start lowering the brightness until sunset and then reaches minimum brightness at solar midnight. What time are you showering???